MxR and ModDrop....

drmabuse1981

It seems like MxR on youtube uploads mods without permissions on ModDrop, and also shows mods without giving any credit to the original authors,

and thats pissing me (and probarly other mod authors) off.. Is there anything we can do?

Until the matter is clarified I take everything offline.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that's not true, the you tubers seem to get away with a lot as it is. I'm more against them because they can make money quite easily from others work, although it is argued they provide free advertising. In that regard all you can do is turn a blind eye. As for this if true, grab the torch and pitchfork.

Is there anything we can do

Not unless it's specifically your mods he is uploading without permission or including in his videos, unfortunately.

If they're your mods, then you have some options open to you.

I'm not so sure I understand. Don't his mod videos usually come with links in the description tag to the mod's page? Honestly, if it weren't for MxR and his like, I wouldn't KNOW of most of the mods I use. Even if he's making money off it, it's still free advertising. It'd be like if somebody drank a Pepsi in a big movie, Pepsi's sales tripled as a result, and then Pepsi sued for copyright infringement. Yeah, it happens, but it also means nobody is going to want to give them free advertising again. If he's doing something that you disagree with, you of course have EVERY right to be upset, but my suggestion wold be to contact him and politely explain your concerns. Taking down your mods because you're upset at one person's actions doesn't teach them a lesson or make a point; it just makes it so folks who have nothing to do with the issue can't use the mod you created for them in the first place. The person you're mad at doesn't suffer or "learn his lesson" (and I believe that issues should be talked out polity, rather than going for the "eye for an eye" approach in the first place). The only ones hurting would be yourself and the folks who were supporting you in the first place. Reactions like this have led to the loss of LOTS of great mods over the years, where modders felt slighted or ripped off, and ended up lashing out and punishing the community at large rather than going for the diplomatic approach. Yeah, in the end, not EVERYBODY will be reasonable and respect your wishes. Sucks, but you have to take into account just who is really effected by how you choose to react to them.

Also, we have to take into account the Youtubers themselves. I've seen more than one of them lose their accounts due to vindictive parties, often when the actions did NOT warrant such vehement responses. Whether you agree with it or not, this is their livelihood. Let's avoid "grabbing the torches and pitchforks" please? I'd rather us NOT be that community that gangs up on and destroys the lives of people we don't like. If somebody rear-ends your car you respond by destroying their lives, careers, and personal relations.....yeah, YOU'RE the dick in that equation. Talk it out, find a compromise, and behave like adults.

.........sorry, I just get worried when I hear folks talking about crusades and pitchforks. Historically speaking, has NOT ended well in the past. Not meant as a slight against you, just voicing my concern. You're probably not advocating for the kind of respond I'm describing. It never hurts to tackle an issue from both sides though.

Edited by tm2dragon

People will grab torches and pitchforks over money in general. I did mention the other side of the argument is you so comprehensively put forth, that's fine. Some of them might even deserve to make money as purely entertainers. I've had that argument on my server, I'm over it.

If MxR is uploading contents to the public illegally then he needs to be grilled for it.

People will grab torches and pitchforks over money in general. I did mention the other side of the argument is you so comprehensively put forth, that's fine. Some of them might even deserve to make money as purely entertainers. I've had that argument on my server, I'm over it.

If MxR is uploading contents to the public illegally then he needs to be grilled for it.

Guess I'm out of touch. This is the first I've heard of "ModDrop", so the exact nature of the issue isn't all too clear with me. ^_^; I guess I'm mostly speaking from my own perspective. I suffer from some pretty severe anxiety and depression, and am prone to pretty crippling panic attacks. All mostly under control now (seriously, a good psychiatrist works WONDERS), but if someone were to "grill" me, I'd probably turn into a whimpering pile of simultaneous terror and self-loathing. Stupider s*** has led to breakdowns on my part before. Heck, the last time I got a nasty lecture from my Mother, I learned that the Suicide Hotline has a chatroom! But that's just me speaking from MY experience, and I assume most people handle being told off much better then I! Since I know just how badly it CAN feel to be on the receiving end of a scolding though, I veer towards caution in these cases. MxR is likely a grown man with a good head on his shoulders and emotionaly balanced, and will probably be either contrite or at worst kinda peeved if someone gave him a good talking to. Not knowing any person's situation fully, I just prefer to play it safe. No need for hurt feelings if there are alternative routes! Too many horror stories about cyber-bullying, and it's easy for folks to go a tad overboard when emotions flare over a screen. My opinion is that all disagreements and grievances should be approached in a calm, friendly manners. It's always worked out for me when I've had an issue with someone, but of course it's impossible to know going into one of these things. The real world is more complicated then I like to pretend it is (I am well aware that my stance is a rather naive one), so this isn't always an option. Still, I'd recommend more of an "excuse me, Mr. MxR, but I believe that you may have____________. I would like to suggest doing ________ as an alternative" approach. If MxR doesn't knock whatever he's doing off or find a compromise after being (politely) called on his shenanigans, a harsher response may be in order. Again though, coming at this from a different perspective then most, so possibly my methods aren't the right ones in this case.

I do stand by removing one's mods to be a mis-aimed response though. They're yours to do with as you please, of course, but it does sort of feel like a classroom of children all being well behaved and good students, then little Timmy doodles something naughty on his homework, and now EVERYBODY gets detention. There are other avenues, if you want to go through with it. In the case of a fanfiction author I know who had a disagreement with the site he hosted his stories on, he simply moved them to a different site. It was annoying to be sure, especially since most folks weren't AWARE of the move, but it was nice that I was still able to find the stories with a bit of Googling. ^_^

EDIT: Aaaaaand in hindsight I can see I've gone off on an emotionally charged rant of my own. Ah, hypocrisy, thy name is tm2dragon. XP Sorry for the wall of text-response. I think I'll bow out of this conversation before I end up going all preachy again.

Edited by tm2dragon

I don't know what I should think about ModDrop. It seems a bit fishy to me. A 3 minute google research showed me some redit posts and other articles regarding ModDrop to be a offspring of gmod com (don't compare this with garrys mod) which received some pretty bad reputation of massively stealing mods back in 2011.

But what do I know...

Only the mod authors and he (MxR) would know if he's allowed to share the mods through ModDrop or not. Tbo in the last few months he seems pretty foolish to me but he's a grown adult so ¯\_( :ermm: )_/¯

I'm mostly annoyed by the fact that he doesn't even put the nexus links in the vid description any more.

Edited by Crosstieger

Neither MxR, nor ModDrop, ask for permission to upload/review mods. They just do whatever they like, and wait for authors to file claims against them before they will actually remove anything. Neither is very honest either. MxR has been raked over the coals on this before.... (featuring a mod in one of his 'reviews' that the MA specifically stated they didn't want that..... MA won that round. But, not without backlash.)