Managing the Load Order...

acdover

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may add my 2 cents worth also , I got a new OS hard drive just a couple weeks ago , rather than trying to migrate to the new drive , I decided to start from scratch . Not having knowledge of NMM being replaced by Vortex , click download and "WHAT ??? This isn't NMM . " So I install and the problems ensue , I have used NMM for as long as I have been modding , I know my profile says 2013 , but I was a member/user many years before that , that date was when peoples accounts were hacked or something .

I start getting all my mods together and loading them up , only to find the GUI mess in front of me called Vortex . Checking out Gophers vids helped some . I have been using NMM for 10 years or so , something like that , I know how to mod my game to a working , non CTD , reasonably good looking and fun experience for myself . Then there is Vortex , GUI mess , no options to click load order or even not to let LOOT auto sort , yeah , I know there are rules , when one mod relies on another to be be installed , then that mod needs changed because of visual glitches or W/E , change the rules again , now you have to change 2 rules , what if that mod needs removed that the other mods have rules set to load before / after , then LOOT resorts them , what a PITA . When I use LOOT on NMM , I normally use it 1 time , then manage my mods / plugins manually after that , some mods require certain load orders that LOOT has no clue about , LOOT's master list just plain sucks , it may get better over time , unlike BOSS . I did find that manually changing several of the ModID numbers to 99 changed the load order to what was usable without having to create rules , seemed to work for a few mods , but I know that has it's own problems that weren't present in NMM (because you could manually change load order) .

I do appreciate what the devs are ATTEMPTING to do . Maybe in another few more months Vortex will have more / better features than NMM , and several peoples beloved Manual Load Order buttons that override LOOT and it's auto sort function will be implemented .

I would just like to use a Mod Manager that works , period . NMM did that for my needs , for several games , and now I have to go to GetHub to get NMM back because Nexus no longer hosts it . I don't change mods midway through a playthrough and very rarely change from one playthrough to another . Getting a new SSD screwed me , plain and simple , just because I chose not to migrate or clone my old drive .

Thanks for listening to my rant , if you made it this far . Off to GetHub to find a working version or community build of NMM .

Thanks to Nexus Mods for MANY years of modding fun . This 47 year old has better things to do than learn how to use a new Mod Manager , like playing games that he enjoys modded the way he likes .

If I may add my 2 cents worth also , I got a new OS hard drive just a couple weeks ago , rather than trying to migrate to the new drive , I decided to start from scratch . Not having knowledge of NMM being replaced by Vortex , click download and "WHAT ??? This isn't NMM . " So I install and the problems ensue , I have used NMM for as long as I have been modding , I know my profile says 2013 , but I was a member/user many years before that , that date was when peoples accounts were hacked or something .

I start getting all my mods together and loading them up , only to find the GUI mess in front of me called Vortex . Checking out Gophers vids helped some . I have been using NMM for 10 years or so , something like that , I know how to mod my game to a working , non CTD , reasonably good looking and fun experience for myself . Then there is Vortex , GUI mess , no options to click load order or even not to let LOOT auto sort , yeah , I know there are rules , when one mod relies on another to be be installed , then that mod needs changed because of visual glitches or W/E , change the rules again , now you have to change 2 rules , what if that mod needs removed that the other mods have rules set to load before / after , then LOOT resorts them , what a PITA . When I use LOOT on NMM , I normally use it 1 time , then manage my mods / plugins manually after that , some mods require certain load orders that LOOT has no clue about , LOOT's master list just plain sucks , it may get better over time , unlike BOSS . I did find that manually changing several of the ModID numbers to 99 changed the load order to what was usable without having to create rules , seemed to work for a few mods , but I know that has it's own problems that weren't present in NMM (because you could manually change load order) .

I do appreciate what the devs are ATTEMPTING to do . Maybe in another few more months Vortex will have more / better features than NMM , and several peoples beloved Manual Load Order buttons that override LOOT and it's auto sort function will be implemented .

I would just like to use a Mod Manager that works , period . NMM did that for my needs , for several games , and now I have to go to GetHub to get NMM back because Nexus no longer hosts it . I don't change mods midway through a playthrough and very rarely change from one playthrough to another . Getting a new SSD screwed me , plain and simple , just because I chose not to migrate or clone my old drive .

Thanks for listening to my rant , if you made it this far . Off to GetHub to find a working version or community build of NMM .

Thanks to Nexus Mods for MANY years of modding fun . This 47 year old has better things to do than learn how to use a new Mod Manager , like playing games that he enjoys modded the way he likes .

So, there's what's known as a biased 'review'

"using NMM FOR 10 YEARS, NMM is Good."

"using Vortex for about a week, it's a mess."

Totally not biased at all /s

I don't mind reviews, but when there are outright lies being spoken, then I speak up.

Like, when you lied about Not Letting LOOT Autosort, there's a button right in the bar that allows you to turn off AutoSort so you can do it yourself.

So, enough with the fallacies and misinformation.

If you don't understand how to use something, it's best not to make a post showing just how little you know about the thing you're complaining about, because people who DO use Vortex can see you're just making stuff up.

Autosort-vortex.jpg

I did find that manually changing several of the ModID numbers to 99 changed the load order to what was usable without having to create rules , seemed to work for a few mods

This shows that you didn't even bother with any of the tutorials, because you would've learned about GROUPS, instead of doing things the very wrong way by changing the INDEX LOCK.

You also mention what a PITA it is to see if one mods overwrites another in Vortex, when in fact because Vortex overwrites and restores the files AUTOMATICALLY, you can EASILY experiment with your mods to find which BSA should overwrite another, because Vortex keeps track of the files and automatically restores/overwrites them.

For some reason you see that as a "PITA", but using NMM that overwrites the files and doesn't automatically restore them, so you have to uninstall BOTH mods, then install them in a new order and see if Mod a should overwrite Mod b and of that doesn't work, having to uninstall BOTH mods yet again, and installing Mod B first and having Mod a overwrite etc...is somehow NOT a "PITA" to you.

This 54 year old has 5 games currently managed by Vortex.

Oh, and it's GIThub, not GEThub.

Enjoy NMM

HadToRegister , good for you , glad you like it , I don't at this point in time , period . and since I last posted , I have a FULLY WORKING NMM that only took about 30 min for Fallout 4 . In the past 4 or 5 days I have spent over 20 hours trying to get 115 or so mods working in Fallout 4 .

Wanted to also say that when I normally say "get" , I spell it that way , so sorry for not spelling a website correctly .

I also know that by changing the ModID is NOT the correct way , but hey , it is easier when you are trying something new to see what it does . I made about 10 different rule changes , removed one of the mods a few rules was tied to and then poof , nothing worked again , that change is absolutely amazing , you just gotta love it . Yeah , I know 2 weeks isn't long enough to really test something , but I want a working modded game without the hassle of what Vortex put me through for the past few weeks . I am a stubborn mule when when it comes to things that change from what I am familiar with . I guess that is where all these other people in this thread are coming from too , things change drastically that we aren't familiar with and we just just freeze up as hard nosed as we are , sit banging our head against a brick wall , then go back to what we are used to . I know at some point I will come back and try Vortex , as I am almost certain that Nexus Mods will not have something else made in the next 6 months or so . Once Vortex has had enough time to become more polished and "fixed" for the few people that currently don't like it for a myriad of reasons , not just Load Order complaints , I / we will come back to give it another go . I am not passionate about NMM , only that I have used it long enough that changing to something new is really hard to do , from what I have been reading , Vortex was in Alpha back in February and has come quite a long way since then . The creator of MO is talented , I give him that . Nexus recruited a good programmer .

I have every Fallout game but 76 and Fallout Tactics ATM , I think 3 Elder Scrolls and probably a few others . I have never modded Morrowind , Oblivion or Fallout (1) . Using NMM has never been a problem for me , just saying that when Vortex becomes easier to use for me , I will come back and use it , I did sit and watch Gophers videos and read almost all documentation about Vortex there is . Wasted a bunch of time that will probably be mostly irrelevant in the next 6 months . I honestly did want to use this new mod manager . This thread is going to go back and forth like this until Nexus gets tired of seeing it and closes it . There is going to be people like yourself and I that can go around and around nitpicking or trying to make the other see their point of view , 21 pages so far that I have have read every one of .

Also , you had mentioned Groups in your post , I never tried using that setting , I install mods directly into game folder overwriting what needs to done , If I screw something up , I delete game folder and drag a fresh copy into its place , was never a problem until we could no longer get a CD or DVD when we purchased a retail copy . I don't even want to go there either . I have gone off topic long enough , this is my last post on this topic / thread , I appreciate everyone's posts , it has been an interesting read .

• 1 month later...

they need to fix this crap nmm was the best this is crap i cant use 4 mods because i cant set orders its bs

The 'crap' that you call will not change and neither you and since for you it is a 'crap', why in the seven heaven you are trying to work with it ? That says a lot about you !