How To Rollback Fallout 4 Version (Steam)

DiabloInvictus

I played with the pre-Creation Club set-up for a long time because I hated the the CC updates, how it added unwanted stuff to your pc, etc. but I did encounter some issues with mods like Better Explosives. Also F4SE and ENB updates and all other essentials kind of develop onwards while you stay back and need to keep an even more vigilant eye on compatibility requirements.

Lately I had to reinstall the game and figured I'd try the latest version for a change. Haven't looked back, to be honest. Everything runs very smooth and stable now and I'm playing the best modded FO4 since years. Just keep your steam on the right settings so it won't force a non-consensual update on your behind anymore.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very interested in this. I'm also very interested in learning what peoples "preferred versions" are.

is there a feeling amongst users that there was a good stable version at some point - and can anybody actually remember what the version was?

I have a vague feeling that the game felt more stable (fewer crashes and other wierdness) and smoother about a year ago, but there have been so many updates I can't recall the version numbers from when I felt this way. I am however sick and tired of the constant .exe changes, the game actually playing less well and mod's I've played without issue for ages potentially being borked all so that Beth can experiment with introducing a micropayment system into the Fo4 titles.

Rolling back and then taking the game offline for good seems like the most attractive option right now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's a lot of work.

I used the previous EXE posted by another Steam member in Dropbox. First, I set Steam to only update Fallout 4 when I launch the game—which I never do, because I use the Fallout 4 Script extender to start the game, instead. I backed up and replaced the new EXE with a copy of the older one. No more warnings. I'm playing the same version of the game I did a few days ago, and I can wait patiently for everyone to update their mods before I have to update, myself.

How do I specifically locate the exe i need? I currently need the one before .120 and I know that you can find exes with certain links for certain versions through steam console. I just want to know how to find out what the links are.

if ur trying to download a previous version of the fallout4.exe in the manner the original post is describing its in the manifest section on the website they linked, heres the exact link for the versions...

https://steamdb.info/depot/377162/manifests/

if you are just trying to fix this latest patched they released today, roll back to the exe we were using that worked yesterday, then basically open the steam console the way they describe in the first post on page one and type this into the console...

download_depot 377160 377162 883559999634905832

it will download the october 3rd fallout4.exe, which is the previous one to the december 5th that just came out, make sure u check where it downloaded to before u close the console, itll give u a file address on ur pc where its downloaded it to.

if ur trying to download a previous version of the fallout4.exe in the manner the original post is describing its in the manifest section on the website they linked, heres the exact link for the versions...

https://steamdb.info/depot/377162/manifests/

if you are just trying to fix this latest patched they released today, roll back to the exe we were using that worked yesterday, then basically open the steam console the way they describe in the first post on page one and type this into the console...

download_depot 377160 377162 883559999634905832

it will download the october 3rd fallout4.exe, which is the previous one to the december 5th that just came out, make sure u check where it downloaded to before u close the console, itll give u a file address on ur pc where its downloaded it to.

Thank you very much. f*#@ing Bethesda ruining a perfect running mod setup again, I forgot to disable autoupdate in steam for FO4 (Had it with SkyrimSE, just forgot about FO4 :mad: )

Listen, for anyone STILL having problems, I was able to follow the instructions in this post on reddit and my game works again! its a little complex ('well hidden' might be a better way to say it), but it works - just follow the instructions PRECISELY. I doubt I would have ever been able to navigate Steam's awkward interface to find that stuff if it wasn't for those direct links to both pages I needed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/611h5e/guide_how_to_download_older_versions_of_a_game_on/

Thanks for the guide. Fallout just updated for me cause I was an idiot and decided to peek in the CC and grab a free pipboy skin. Got the latest update with it and I'm not in the mood to wait for the script extender to update, no matter how fast those guys usually are, so yhea very handy and helpful little guide. Way easier to get to the steam console via the run command though.