Vortex seems to be broken.

Mrjordann2

so did op solve his problem? im having the same problem and cant fix it at all, even installed completely fresh. For me though, im trying to set the mod staging folder but it keeps telling me to give it permission, which i do, but it popped back up. Its getting on my god damned nerves, i havent been able to fix vortex for months at this point and im fed up with it

1. Are you running Vortex as an Admin, or did you ever run it as an admin (besides the initial installation) if so, DON'T

2. If you've run it as an Admin, then you'll probably need to "take ownership of the files and folders that got locked when you ran Vortex as an admin.

3. WHERE are you trying to install the Mod Staging Folder? If you're trying to install it in C:\Program FIles x86\ don't, because Windows over-zealously protects that folder.

How DO you 'Take Ownership' of the files?

• 1 month later...

Hello! I had this issue at first but I seemed to have fixed it! First, I tried to make all files actually readable as others have suggested on this thread, however, I found I wasn't able to. I kept getting messages along the lines of "Access unable to be changed" What I found out was that the Administrator account didn't have control over the files. I right clicked the game folder where all the files were located clicked on "Properties", clicked on the security tab, clicked on the administrator account, and edited the permissions to "Full control". I then had no problems after that.

This is the Youtube video I got the fix from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaZNXDie87A

For anyone who doesn't like links: Video is titled "Nexus Mod Maânager Error: Unable to Write Permissions FIX! EASY!" by the channel "Kitarachi"

• 2 weeks later...

so did op solve his problem? im having the same problem and cant fix it at all, even installed completely fresh. For me though, im trying to set the mod staging folder but it keeps telling me to give it permission, which i do, but it popped back up. Its getting on my god damned nerves, i havent been able to fix vortex for months at this point and im fed up with it

1. Are you running Vortex as an Admin, or did you ever run it as an admin (besides the initial installation) if so, DON'T

2. If you've run it as an Admin, then you'll probably need to "take ownership of the files and folders that got locked when you ran Vortex as an admin.

3. WHERE are you trying to install the Mod Staging Folder? If you're trying to install it in C:\Program FIles x86\ don't, because Windows over-zealously protects that folder.

i move it and the problem is it can't find fallout (3) after that

i move it and the problem is it can't find fallout (3) after that

What is the "it" that you move, and how do you move it?

I experienced this problem for the first time today, after months of care-free Vortex operation. I was following NORDIC SKYRIM - Yet another guide to modding your Skyrim SE. The file access problem occurred when I attempted to reinstall skyHUD to reset the options. I did this soon after installing the Bethesda Creation Kit (culprit?). The files in "<Game Directory>\Data\interface\skyhud" were all set to "Read-only". I was able to change the read-only attribute after signing off and back in to my Windows account. Vortex again seems to be happy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was getting this error a lot last night, I thought it was because I was trying the 'Move Deployment' in Vortex to manage mod installs, but then changed back to the Hardlink Deployment method midway through setting up my profile because I was getting fed up with Vortex throwing that window up to Apply/Undo changes to Mods outside of Vortex each time I added a mod, and thought this is what had now broke and was causing that UAC error. Could not work out what was going on as I have full access and control over the Fallout folder and Vortex folders for any and all users on my Gaming PC, I even had Vortex running as Administrator to make sure. Then after several minutes I began to pay attention more to the message and noticed it was the same Mod/File everytime. So I deleted the mod and went back to the page and downloaded it fresh. Installed it and this time no error. Guess the mod got screwed up in the download and deleting it and trying again fixed it. I then attributed this to the issue I'm having where Vortex can't or messes up downloads if I'm not using my VPN Connection.

same It says "Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files (x86)\ The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\data\sound" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin right Vortex can try to unlock the file for you."