Vortex vs NMM? Confused

shamiro1

Well it's funny how I've tried new installation with Vortex and broke my game after silly 128mods installed, super dissapointing result for me. The learning curve cooming from NMM is easier even on MO2 rather than Vortex imho.

So I've switched to MO2 and probably not going to look back now. 180+ mods stable as hell. Vortex UI by far superior to NMM or MO or even WB but holy smokes Vortex functionality is something of puzzle to me

I've got 307 mods installed in Skyrim SE, so I'm not sure what you did to mess up your 128 mod install, but it was definitely something on your end.

it obviously was on my end and I know that, I had way too many overwrite prompts and also too many conflicts where I'd have to set up the order of which mod should go after which and that really confused me to bits. Did not have to do that in NMM or MO2. I'd say if I gave Vortex a proper chance and would really go deep to learn it's tricks, I'd probably end up really happy at the end of the day.

Installed MO2 started putting mods in right and left like crazy, brake the game, wen't back unchecked the mods bits by bits until found the one causing trouble and uninstalled it, really easy to tick/untick mods to see which is causing issues. Just feels super smooth and really have like 0 learning curve, most of the stuff is super common sense a bit like NMM was when I first started modding skyrim.

Like I said it's only my personal experience and how I see things, everyone is wired differently and what one might see as common sense other might need to delve into it and try to actually figure it out. For me Vortex will need figuring it out, MO did not, what do you think?

Well the reason MO2 and Vortex are similar is because they're made by the same person.

The thing about Vortex, when you get CONFLICT messages, it means Textures and Meshes. which are handled in the MODS tab.

BUT, instead of overwriting them like you had to do in NMM, by installing the textures and meshes in the correct order and telling NMM to overwrite them...in Vortex you just tell it to LOAD BEFORE, or LOAD AFTER, and Vortex handles overwriting/restoring the textures and meshes.

Meaning if you mess up, instead of having to uninstall all of the texture and mesh mods, and reinstall them in a different order, instead, in Vortex you just change LOAD BEFORE, to LOAD AFTER etc.\

The ESPS are handled in the PLUGINS tab, and there's usually not much need to mess with those, except for an occasional ESP that needs to go at the bottom of the load order, and that's as easy as adding the ESP to the "Dynamic Patches" group, and Vortex puts it at the bottom of the load order.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn to understand what You are reading...

There is no such way for managed games, You need to do it AFTER You choose a game...

Unnecessary complication.

I read it JUST FINE.

You've just NOW changed your meaning.

You originally said "Yeah, You can set folder for downloading mods ( eg. D:\Vortex\download\{game}), but there is no such way for deployment folder."

NOWHERE did you say "MANAGED GAMES"

Anyway, I'm blocking you now.

You just want to complain, and change your story when called out, rather than asking for help, and I've wasted enough time on someone who can't even understand the very beginning basics of using the program, and want to blame the program for their shortcomings, rather than PEBCAK.

"Yeah, You can set folder for downloading mods ( eg. D:\Vortex\download\{game}), but there is no such way for deployment folder.

It needs to be setup manually for every game"

Wtf? For me it's the same thing.

"Using a program" = Run it and use it?

Uhm, check how many people have problems with getting vortex to work.

I mean new users, not someone who did 50 hours with manuals and forums.

You are right, I'm in "complain over everything" mood right now because of alien design of vortex.

It's mod manager. It should work simple and be user friendly from the start.

Even double click on mod does show info bubble instead of activating it.

I like NexusMods, but new mod manager is just overly complicated and as plain user I'm saying it's a step in wrong direction.

I'll stick to git nmm and maybe check vortex after a while to see what changed.

Cheers :wink:

Doesn't look like there's more users having Vortex issues than there were with NMM issues.

I've seen that kind a million times before in here, they claim they've spent anywhere from 50 hours to two days, (Although I remember a couple of guys claimed they spent two WEEKS, AND BOTH claimed they software engineers) with their head buried in the manual, and after all that they STILL can't manage to get Vortex to work.

The thing is though, instead of making Vortex look overly difficult (Which is what they're trying to do) they instead make themselves look like they're incapable of doing the simplest tasks like working a can opener, or putting on pants, because the things they claim are difficult, are some of the easiest things to do in Vortex, which shows me, that they only downloaded Vortex, tried it for about 8 minutes, RAGEQUIT, then came here to tell everybody about it.