⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Vortex vs NMM? Confused

shamiro1

Yes, Vortex only downloads 1 file at a time. NMM would download 5 at a time for normal users, but would hap-hazardly split the download speed (1MB/sec) between all 5 files. Vortex instead focuses on getting each file at the fastest speed possible.

OK. Thanks for the (very) fast answer. xD
Unfortunetly for me this is a deal breaker... The reason I asked was because I rarely reach full speed in one single mirror, so its a lot more convenient to download multiple mods at a time.
I can download it manually but i'm having problem with the update check as vortex is not linking dropped files to nexus correctly (probably my fault as well... i'm having to manually correct that one by one).
I'll give it a try for a little longer, give it a real chance, but anyway... thanks for the answer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I asked was because I rarely reach full speed in one single mirror, so its a lot more convenient to download multiple mods at a time.

Can you clarify what you mean here, please? NMM doesn't allow you to download from different mirrors/servers across multiple files. So if you don't get full speed on one file from our server, you won't reach full speed by downloading multiple files from that same server (you'll just be splitting that same speed across multiple different files at a reduced rate). So Vortex focuses on getting 1 file as fast as possible whereas NMM downloads up to 5 files at a time and splits the speed between them, each downloading slower.

The reason I asked was because I rarely reach full speed in one single mirror, so its a lot more convenient to download multiple mods at a time.

Can you clarify what you mean here, please? NMM doesn't allow you to download from different mirrors/servers across multiple files. So if you don't get full speed on one file from our server, you won't reach full speed by downloading multiple files from that same server (you'll just be splitting that same speed across multiple different files at a reduced rate). So Vortex focuses on getting 1 file as fast as possible whereas NMM downloads up to 5 files at a time and splits the speed between them, each downloading slower.

More convenient as I can let multiple downloads running while I do something else... I need to check less frequently.
Dont know if its the servers, my internet or just where I live but I usually dont get over 150kbps from nexus and so pending downloads usually expires before the download even start. I'm considering go premium but i'm not sure it would make any diference as I suspect its on my end.
For example, I just made a fresh install of Skyrim SE. Installed Vortex and started 3 downloads: USSEP, SMIM and Immersive Armors... then I came here to post my question. By the time we are posting here it fully download USSEP but expired the download for the others... Thats why I prefer to download multiple small files at once.
Please, dont get me wrong... i'm not complaining. Just personal preference.
Edited by avallanche

Downloads shouldn't be expiring until 24 hours after you first clicked the download link. If that's not the case then it's a bug we need to fix on our end.

RE: Premium, it's very unlikely Premium will be useful to you if you're not currently hitting the cap. So please don't buy it as I don't want you to be (even more) disappointed!

Thanks for the advice.

About it expiring... just to clarify as I dont want to rise flags if i'm not sure its in my end or not... I not sure if it loses conection to the server or what... the point is the downloads stop and I have to manually click resume every time. So I cant let many files pending or when I come back it wont have downloaded none.

But again, I started using vortex a today... dont take my word for it. If nobody is saying anything, its probably on me.

• 2 months later...

Vortex really didn't like a lot of adult mods. And a lot of the adult mods were, not something I needed however. I needed the adult mods due to just wanting everyone to better looking skin in Skyrim for a more realistic effect and said mod needs the adult mods or no skin and so far I haven't found any good skin mods that are purely here in nexus that are for men. [Not topic derailing give me a few] I'd find a few good skin mods for women but yeah dang Vortex just practically spassmed at a lot of mods not liking each other and I'd fix the priorities and load time but then some of them would need a different pre-req thing loaded that isn't compatable with the other stuff. So having nice skin or being a vampire (Better vampire mod) or having nice armor and weapons (Better Armor/Better weapons mod) had just been a very bad combo I guess with very few ways around it. I like that it helps me figure out what works together and doesn't though so at least that's a plus? I guess I have to figure out a way to work with it being unhappy with various factors. It's it's own puzzle I'd say. I hope it ends up having some sort of compatibility mode added in or something that can help out a bit for those who are less mod savy than everyone else. (I wouldn't go to the extent of saying I'm stupid or anything, I just have a hard time with modding stuff..... Ack.) NMM will be missed. :sleep: Time to start of fresh again. Using Vortex is really hard.... A lot of people's guides of making things cooperate are so vastly different so it gets distracting and confusing.

Edited by PrinceSugoi

Vortex really didn't like a lot of adult mods. And a lot of the adult mods were, not something I needed however. I needed the adult mods due to just wanting everyone to better looking skin in Skyrim for a more realistic effect and said mod needs the adult mods or no skin and so far I haven't found any good skin mods that are purely here in nexus that are for men. [Not topic derailing give me a few] I'd find a few good skin mods for women but yeah dang Vortex just practically spassmed at a lot of mods not liking each other and I'd fix the priorities and load time but then some of them would need a different pre-req thing loaded that isn't compatable with the other stuff. So having nice skin or being a vampire (Better vampire mod) or having nice armor and weapons (Better Armor/Better weapons mod) had just been a very bad combo I guess with very few ways around it. I like that it helps me figure out what works together and doesn't though so at least that's a plus? I guess I have to figure out a way to work with it being unhappy with various factors. It's it's own puzzle I'd say. I hope it ends up having some sort of compatibility mode added in or something that can help out a bit for those who are less mod savy than everyone else. (I wouldn't go to the extent of saying I'm stupid or anything, I just have a hard time with modding stuff..... Ack.) NMM will be missed. :sleep: Time to start of fresh again. Using Vortex is really hard.... A lot of people's guides of making things cooperate are so vastly different so it gets distracting and confusing.

I use a couple of adult mods, they work just fine.

What you need to do is spend time reading the knowledge base, and learning Vortex.

It's not hard at all to learn, but don't expect to jump into like you can with NMM

The reason people think NMM is "easy" is because NMM doesn't do anything.

It's far easier to get textures and meshes correctly loaded with Vortex because Vortex tells you which textures and meshes in each mod are conflicting, and gives you a super easy way to pick which one overwrites the other by simply picking LOAD BEFORE, or LOAD AFTER.

And if you mess up, it's juts a matter of change LOAD BEFORE, to LOAD AFTER, or vice versa, as Vortex will restore the overwritten meshes and textures and overwrite the appropriate ones.

With NMM, you're stuck completely uninstalling the mods to remove the textures and meshes, and reinstalling them and hoping you do so in the correct order.

As far as managing your PLUGIN load order, leave that to Vortex, because there's no need to do it anymore, like you had to do with NMM

It will be redundant to give you my opinion about how superior Vortex is in compare to NMM and in relation to sex / adult mods, there are plenty in Nexus and in Lovers.lab ( you can manually download them from this website and drop it in Vortex ) and do not be silly saying that you only need them for better looking skin. Adult mods are for having sex in your game and there is nothing wrong with that cause sex is part of life, like peeing, eating, sleeping, etc. so, go into Mod Categories and you will find them or in Lovers.lab.

For instance, Osex is in Nexus, Double beds are for two, Tempered Skin for Females, Caliente, FNIS and several other mods and if you want XXX mods, go to Lovers.lab which have hundreds of them.

Last but not the least, you said that Vortex did not like a lot of adult mods ? Vortex does not have an opinion about if it likes something or not since it is not human but a program. I do have several adult mods and I have not had any trouble with Vortex handling these type of mods since there is NOT difference between an adult mod and any other mod. As far as you resolve any conflict ( that may arise ) between adult mods, you will be fine and Vortex will handle them as expected.