Creation Club Update is a Mixed Bag

LeddBate

What do you think of the CC update?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on the CC update? (Multiple answers allowed)

• Right during the Labor Day weekend!? Seriously, Bethesda!? So that we probably won't get SKSE updated for a few extra days? Thanks heaps.
    • I like some of the new content. (MODS dang it!)
    • Meh.
    • Just another collection of garbage, as usual.
    • Why can't the Creation Club just DIE!?
    • Why all the negative vibes, man. They'll eventually get their act together and put some better stuff out.
  2. 2. What would YOU like to see in Creation Club content? (multiple answers allowed)

• Followers
    • Gear (but not #$%^& useless jewelry)
    • Encounters (w/mini-quests and unique NPCs)
    • Homes (pre-made; maybe with a bit of mini-quest to purchase/acquire them)
    • Homes (build your own)
    • Campaigns (ranging from just bigger than mini-quests all the way up through full-sized DLC)
    • Not really interested in CC content

So, after a loonnngg time the CC for SSE finally has an update. At the worst possible time. The Labor Day weekend means that the Silverlock team might be a bit longer than usual getting SKSE64 updated for us. Thanks, Bethesda. Thanks heaps.

Because I won't touch the Creation Club with the proverbial 10-foot dragon bone, I'm relying on the video review by TheEpicNate315. You can see his review here. I strongly recommend watching his review as he goes into depth on the mods, pardon... I meant "creations" (turns and makes gagging noises.) Also, TheEpicNate315 has a good amount of Skyrim content. If you haven't subscribed to him, I heavily recommend it.

Anyway, if you're curious, here is what's new:

-Myrwatch. A new house, apparently aimed at mages, by Elianora. As usual such a home has Elianora's exacting touch for details and is an enchanter's dream home. TheEpicNate315 didn't like it overly much, but I think any mage-based character would. It also has background material that ties it in with the College of Winterhold. So for those of you who like to get into the history of Tamriel, this is another good point. I would give it a 8/10 for mage characters and a 6/10 for other classes.

-Pets of Skyrim. Five of them if I remember correctly. They don't do ANYTHING except (A) follow you around and (B) carry some weight for you. That's it. They won't fight in combat (or do the logical thing and run away a bit to stay out of it) and they can't take damage. I mean, as in they can't die or even get injured. They're worse than children. I agree with TheEpicNate315 that the goat is at least kinda neat looking. I give this mod (dangit! CREATION) a 2/10 because except for them being on the cute side and able to carry a bit for you, they are pretty much worthless.

-Nordic Jewelry. Three pieces of "Nordic" jewelry. They (apparently) don't provide any armor, are not enchanted, or have any other use. Oh, and they cost a ridiculous amount to purchase from merchants. That's it. I kid you not. Wow. 0/10 because this sort of mod (@$#%^ it, I don't care WHAT Bethesda calls them. They're freakin' mods Bethesda!) Where was I? Oh, right. 0/10 because this sort of mod is a slap in the face to customers. Sheesh.

-Rare Curios. Now this is actually an interesting one. It adds LOTS of ingredients for alchemically (is that a word? Well, it is now) -bent characters. Players will not only find this mod useful, but it has lots of shout-outs to past Elder Scrolls games. It's decently priced at 100 credits too. As TheEpicNate315 says, if you already have the credits available, this is a good one to get. 9/10 for actually putting in a sensible (if tiny) mod that is at least "priced" reasonably.

tl:dr,

IF you use Creation Club and IF you already have credits bankrolled, then Rare Curios is a good purchase and Myrwatch is cool if you're a mage. I mean, it's an Elianora house. You know how good she is at making houses. Pets of Skyrim is pretty much a waste of credits (unless you REALLY like goats with backpacks) and Nordic Jewelry is just an insult.

Edited by LeddBate

There is a problem with your poll. Those who would pick "Why can't the Creation Club just DIE!?" are probably not interested in any CC content so I would add a "Not interested in CC" option to the second poll otherwise you are artificially excluding votes from a certain group of gamers.

Thanks for your input! Suggested question added.

Edit: I meant "Suggested additional answer added." Yeesh. Gimme a break it's 4:30 in the morning...

Edited by LeddBate

I'd rather they add in content that they ran out of time to put in originally and modders have consistently failed to add to this day, such as the steel plate shield that is referenced in the official guide book (including stats), and other things like a leather shield to round out the currently incomplete leather armour set, and perhaps make them available for free, along with maybe perhaps an expanded silver weaponry set to complement the existing sword and greatsword along with tempering recipes. In other words, fill in the gaps in existing weapon and armour sets to round them out. Yes, I know silver weaponry mods exist, but I'm yet to find one that I'm properly satisfied with or doesn't end up doubling up with things added from other mods such as Legendary Skyrim Crossbows SSE, thus resulting in clutter in the crafting menus.

Hell, why not spears as teased in the Game Jam video from over 6 years ago? Surely that can't be too hard to add as a Creation Club module and should've been on the initial list of releases from the start.

Hell, why not spears as teased in the Game Jam video from over 6 years ago? Surely that can't be too hard to add as a Creation Club module and should've been on the initial list of releases from the start.

This! After all, Rieklings (Dragonborn DLC) already have spears. So it's not like Bethesda doesn't already have animations. Admittedly, Riekling spears are really short. But how hard would it be to make them human-sized? Apparently, really hard. Or, more likely, just not profitable enough for them to consider bothering with...

These are mostly cosmetic mods, why they had to update Skyrim.exe (thus breaking SKSE) for that?

Because one of the goals of the CC is to annoying everybody so we discontinue playing Skyrim and Fallout4 and jump into the new FO76. They want all offline players to buy and play their new game, otherwise, why in the hell those updates are obligatory for everyone, even those of us who never ever have used the CC and will never use it ?

I am not going to talk about the other goals they had in mind by introducing the CC but if they would had respected us as players, they would had offer the CC only for those who wanted it and update only if you have it. They did not do that but on the contrary, we have to be put up to that.

Instead, they should be happy that those 2 games ( Skyrim and Fallout4 ) are the games most played by the entire world and instead creating an online game, they should had created also more DLC for those games and make more money that the money they expect to make via FO76. How many thousands are playing Skyrim ? How about if they had created another DLC to let us extend to another region of Tamriel ? I can bet my head that all of us, all of those thousands of players playing Skyrim now, would have bought that DLC. Can you imagine the amount of money they would make by just introducing a DLC ... let' say, 15 hours of play time DLC ?

Well, I guess they gave up already and now, they want us to quit playing those games and jump into the new galaxy. I won't !

@sopmac45: I have to disagree about the part where Bethesda wants us to quit playing Skyrim and FO4. If that was so, why would they bother to re-release Skyrim for the Switch? Not to mention the many other platforms they've released it on before that. I mean, it's practically a meme now.

The CC seems to me (when I'm in one of my calmer moods) just Bethesda's way of cashing in on microtransactions without going full-hog loot box. In my more paranoid moments, I'm terrified that they're gonna try "loot barrels"...

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae239/CON-Troll/Dovahkinda/YouKnowItsComing1.png

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae239/CON-Troll/Dovahkinda/YouKnowItsComing2.png

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae239/CON-Troll/Dovahkinda/Dovahkinda039c.png

@Arthmoor: *snerk* I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself when writing those "answers". In my defense, Bethesda DID pick a lousy time to update, even if it was by accident.

Edited by LeddBate