Read compatabley

dark113

If you're installing mods from Bethesda.net via the in-game downloader and via Vortex one cannot manage the other.

The exception is on the plugins tab, but the actual data files and conflicts won't be detected this way.

Just to get this straight, if I use creation club in game (SKSE and FO4) to download all the freebies - why not!) then if there were a conflict between them and a vortex installed mod, I wouldn't know about it? At least, not from Vortex telling me?

If you install a mod from bethesda.net or steam workshop then that tool would already have to deal with conflicts, replacing files. No "secondary" mod manager would even have a chance to affect those conflicts.

But in reality those mods are all packaged as esp/bsa bundles anyway so file conflicts don't occur to begin with - in any mod manager. Conflicts between assets are then resolved based on the _plugin_ (esp/esm) load order which you can control in any mod manager, so all you need to care about is the plugins anyway.

What Vortex (and any other mod manager) can't do is uninstall mods installed through bethesda.net or Steam Workshop.

If you install a mod from bethesda.net or steam workshop then that tool would already have to deal with conflicts, replacing files. No "secondary" mod manager would even have a chance to affect those conflicts.

But in reality those mods are all packaged as esp/bsa bundles anyway so file conflicts don't occur to begin with - in any mod manager. Conflicts between assets are then resolved based on the _plugin_ (esp/esm) load order which you can control in any mod manager, so all you need to care about is the plugins anyway.

I think I understand that, thanks for the reply! :)

What Vortex (and any other mod manager) can't do is uninstall mods installed through bethesda.net or Steam Workshop.

So are these mods placed in different locations by bethesda.net and steam or is vortex programmed not to show them? if vortex showed them (but marked read only or something) then that would be useful as a reminder to users of what they had installed.