Stop asking us to buy premium

Paulicus1

They should find another way to incentivize people to sign up, this kind of obtrusive advert is absurd and unbecoming of the Nexus. I realize the site requires money but I'd rather they sell premium on it's own merits, rather than badgering us to sign up with every download. Speeds are already capped.

They tried Selling Premium on it's own merits since the site has been online, and since only a handful of people were switching to premium, they decided they needed to take a more direct approach and use a reminder screen on every download.

I've heard that registration has increased because of it.

So, imagine that, if people had gotten Premium on it's "Own Merits", YOU wouldn't have to be looking at the Download Screen on every download.

Also, "They should find a way to incentivize people to sign up".....so, What would Incentivize YOU to sign up?

Hundreds of thousands of FREE Mods for 800+ games, Contests, Events, Forums, Free Tech Support etc hasn't managed to get YOU or millions of others to sign up for premium, so what would YOU suggest?

Doesn't anyone find it suspicious that the OP is basically the same phrasing as most of the recent beggar posts that have been closed?

Also, how does one sell something on the merits if there's no advertising done? You could have the best product on Earth and if nobody knows about it, you won't sell any.

Guest deleted34304850

Doesn't anyone find it suspicious that the OP is basically the same phrasing as most of the recent beggar posts that have been closed?

Also, how does one sell something on the merits if there's no advertising done? You could have the best product on Earth and if nobody knows about it, you won't sell any.

coming in here and posting logic and reason ... that's not how these forums work!!!

;)

I'm surprised these responses are so hostile. And there's no need for personal attacks @arthmoor. I simply came here to express my opinion and provide feedback, which is the purpose of this forum. To let the devs know that there are more people who don't like it. Most won't bother to come here and comment anyway.

If you haven't tried downloading 100+ mods (many with multiple files), you should do so before dismissing others' feedback. You may find yourself thinking somewhat differently.

As I said, I don't like any business model that involves such tactics as actively degrading the free user experience to bring in more money. Maybe they could try scaling back their operations if they can't afford the costs? I don't pretend to have all the answers here, I just want it known that the constant badgering to upgrade is a major detriment to the user experience on this site. I'm clearly not alone in that.

Not everyone has the budget for yet another monthly subscription. Hell, I'm gaming on a 2-year old laptop.

Commence the insults, if that's what any of you feel you need to do.

Edited by Paulicus1

There was no personal attack at all in my post. You're seeing boogie men. Your timing and phrasing are suspicious - so if anything I attacked the content of your post. Which is what should be done.

I have downloaded countless mods from this site over the years and I can tell you straight up that if I didn't already have lifetime premium, then I'd have picked it up because what this site offers is unmatched anywhere else. Even if the near monopoly position of nexusmods.com is a problem. A lifetime membership is a one-time fee, and if you can afford to buy a PC, buy games to play on it, and pay for regular internet services each month to download mods for those games, you can afford to skip a game somewhere to pony that money up for a membership instead. Your 2 year old laptop is a perfect example. You spent way more on that thing than you would have on the membership.

Full disclosure though, my lifetime premium was paid for by the generosity of others who donated their money to the site on my behalf. So clearly some people see the value in premium memberships even when they're not buying it for themselves.

Maybe they could try scaling back their operations if they can't afford the costs?

Scaling back would invariably make the user experience worse, not better. Sure, belt-tightening seems like a good idea on paper, but how exactly would that be accomplished? The biggest money sink for Nexus Mods, I would assume based on their Expenses Page, is the obscene cost of bandwidth chewed through by all the people who aren't financially supporting their own bandwidth usage. Scaling back on bandwidth would mean you get less of it for your mod downloads.

If you haven't tried downloading 100+ mods (many with multiple files), you should do so before dismissing others' feedback.

Downloading 100+ mods FOR FREE.

This is why there's usually negative responses.

You are angry that you can't continue to download hundreds of mods unfettered without any inconvenience, but paying for a membership to alleviate that inconvenience is apparently out of the question for you, so you'd rather demand that the Nexus just remove the nag screen instead.

You have had 100+ reminders now, about how much more convenient it would be to just get a premium membership, but instead you watch 100+ nag screens and complain to make them go away, when you had that ability all along.

My Internet access costs $69.99/mo, lifetime membership was $75, I just bit the bullet back in 2008, and paid the $75 to be done with it.

Guest deleted34304850

Not everyone has the budget for yet another monthly subscription. Hell, I'm gaming on a 2-year old laptop.

Posted without any trace of irony.

Guest deleted34304850

Maybe they could try scaling back their operations if they can't afford the costs?

Scaling back would invariably make the user experience worse, not better. Sure, belt-tightening seems like a good idea on paper, but how exactly would that be accomplished? The biggest money sink for Nexus Mods, I would assume based on their Expenses Page, is the obscene cost of bandwidth chewed through by all the people who aren't financially supporting their own bandwidth usage. Scaling back on bandwidth would mean you get less of it for your mod downloads.

If "scaling back" occurred, the first thing to go would be people like the OP who are not supporters/premium members.

Its curious to me why the people who whinge and cry about one extra click don't realise what would happen should their "suggestion" to scale back was ever taken seriously.

As I said, I don't like any business model that involves such tactics as actively degrading the free user experience to bring in more money.

As stated numerous times in previous threads, the free download has not been changed. The download speed is just advertised. I have never had a problem with download times in the nine years I have been here. But then again, I have learned patience and good things never happen fast.

As for your 2-year old laptop, I'm using a 13-year old PC.