Something big is going to be announed

Thor.

The first gen ps3 was really good, it had enough copper piping and fans to blow out any heat that might be in the system, not to mention several hundred ours of Folding tested it quite nicely back in the day. Just think what would happen if the 360 decided to allow folding lol. it would have self destructed in 30m. Not saying its a bad system but it was faulty, at least mine was. Edited by Thor.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first gen ps3 was really good, it had enough copper piping and fans to blow out any heat that might be in the system, not to mention several hundred ours of Folding tested it quite nicely back in the day. Just think what would happen if the 360 decided to allow folding lol. it would have self destructed in 30m. Not saying its a bad system but it was faulty, at least mine was.

...whats folding?

If the price tag on the new systems is over about $400, I think I'm gonna pass. I didn't buy a PS3 until the price dropped to $299. The PS3 and 360 both have terrible issues with heat. I'm not optimistic about the next gen being built to last. I'm not gonna spend $400 on a new system for it to brick on me 1-2 years later. If there are any serious hardware launch issues whatsoever, I'm gonna wait awhile, possible 2-3 years before buying one.

i have a first gen 80gb Ps3. it ran non stop for the first couple years, now the last couple years it shuts off after an hour of non use (long enough to charge my paddles) of course maybe my system is the exception and not the rule

whats folding?

its this thing that Sony got into. some University uses the powers of PCs (and in this case Ps3s) and uses them basically as a super computer and folds proteins and whatnot to help understand the genetic structure and help cure diseases.

Snip;

its this thing that Sony got into. some University uses the powers of PCs (and in this case Ps3s) and uses them basically as a super computer and folds proteins and whatnot to help understand the genetic structure and help cure diseases.

Is this what I saw some time ago where a University (maybe it was MIT) networked a room full of PS3's together, if so I think it's safe to assume that they aren't using this to play video games on. It just sounds like another $300 hammer.

idk. many different people have linked PS3s together to create super computers.

Folding @ Home (known as Life With Playstation on the PS3) was a Stanford University thing. they didnt link any PS3s up, they just used the processing power of PS3s of people who were signed into Life With Playstation. they no longer do it on the PS3, but you can still do it with your PC.

some people build PCs specifically for Folding.

Im going to pass based on the controllers, they're absolutely horrific, essentially you use an I-phone to control it. The controller has a camera in it, a touchscreen, but the stick placement is horrendous for anyone except those with grizzly bear hands. Fail sony.

Considering the ps3 support 3rd party controllers,and the final product hasn't even been fully revealed yet. its only a matter of time until it is though. This month yay.

if you could find a 3rd party 360 controller that looks like the original, you could use it on the ps3. it might even be the same on the ps4, its gonna have usb 3.0http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/dance.gif

http://www.shopwiki....-S-type-pc?sb=1

Also the rumours are suggestion the ps4 will be using ssd's instead of conventional HD's. That would be awesome for the ps4. Especially would reduce the bottleneck of a standard 7200rpm drive. makes sense to, sense its next gen after all.

http://www.vg247.com..._playstation_4/

Edited by Thor.

Im going to pass based on the controllers, they're absolutely horrific, essentially you use an I-phone to control it. The controller has a camera in it, a touchscreen, but the stick placement is horrendous for anyone except those with grizzly bear hands. Fail sony.

Well, that will certainly be fun for anyone who wants to get a set of four of them. I've having difficulty getting four N64 controllers and that's just because everyone wants $20 for them. Wonder what they'll want for these with all those extra gimmicks.

If they're using an SSD, it had better be a good one. Wouldn't want them to use a bad SSD and require everyone to replace their PS4 every couple years, when it degraded.