Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A note of warning to anyone planning to use the merge feature. Many of the mods will not be properly categorized and this will likely cause some load order headache. I haven't experienced any major issues so far, but I am stuck with either redownloading a good handful of mods or getting the blackface bug on every other npc. Personally, if you're set on switching, use NMM as a download link list, it will save you the hassle.

Well, I have been using Vortex since it was made possible to download by regular joes (me included).

I can say that I like Vortex better than NMM, since the threshold for learning it was a lot lower than NMM, and bear in mind that there aren't that many tutorials out there like there are for NMM. Here are my reasons:

1) Since it does a lot of automatic stuff in a smart way, I don't need to worry about checking or moving the load order manually, Vortex does all the dirty work for me, and this is something I value a lot.

2) It has symbiosis with LOOT, SSEdit, FNIS and Bodyslide that makes it super easy to access those programs, maybe some can claim the same way as NMM, but I found it better.

3) I like that you can set different profiles, which you can use to have different "tastes" on your game, and easily change between profiles, that will change all the mods with the click of one button. And this feature never broke my installation, despite my amateur use of it.

4) The user interface is waaaaaaaaay better than NMM, but some "getting used to" is required

5) The dependencies engine rules :)

All in all I think it is a great software, and beats NMM a million billion times.

Thank you guys from Nexus for making such a great tool and sharing it with the world :)

In response to post #64242756. #64243356, #64247481, #64248361, #64267641, #64267676, #64268121 are all replies on the same post.

DoverWolf wrote: cant import my mods from NMM 65.2 with vortex
Pickysaurus wrote: It can import from NMM 0.63+
DoverWolf wrote: I get this error when trying to import from NMM
No NMM install found with mods for this game. please note only nmm 0.63 is supported
0Anesthetic4u wrote: No it gets mods from .63-.
DoverWolf wrote: Well that sucks they need to add 0.65 support
Tannin42 wrote: It can import from any NMM version starting with 0.63, including 0.65.
However it may be having problems with certain games, which game are you trying to import?
Also: You need to have the game active inside vortex that you want to import, you can't import fo4 mods if you have skyrim activated for example.
DoverWolf wrote: Skyrim SSE

How do i add the game active inside vortex?

I'm having the same problem, "no nmm install found" any ideas how to fix it? Vortex finds all my plugins but nothing in mods and can't import since it's acting as if I dont have NMM installed.

In response to post #64272421.

pefragoso wrote: Well, I have been using Vortex since it was made possible to download by regular joes (me included).
I can say that I like Vortex better than NMM, since the threshold for learning it was a lot lower than NMM, and bear in mind that there aren't that many tutorials out there like there are for NMM. Here are my reasons:

1) Since it does a lot of automatic stuff in a smart way, I don't need to worry about checking or moving the load order manually, Vortex does all the dirty work for me, and this is something I value a lot.
2) It has symbiosis with LOOT, SSEdit, FNIS and Bodyslide that makes it super easy to access those programs, maybe some can claim the same way as NMM, but I found it better.
3) I like that you can set different profiles, which you can use to have different "tastes" on your game, and easily change between profiles, that will change all the mods with the click of one button. And this feature never broke my installation, despite my amateur use of it.
4) The user interface is waaaaaaaaay better than NMM, but some "getting used to" is required

All in all I think it is a great software, and beats NMM a million billion times.
Thank you guys from Nexus for making such a great tool and sharing it with the world :)

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback, pefragoso! You touch upon a few things that have been central goals of Vortex development such as using smart automation to lift the burden off of modders. I am sure our Vortex devs will appreciate the nice words. ;)

In response to post #64266181.

tdbostick wrote: Hmm. I broke my game, spent several days migrating, i.e. re-downloading/installing, all my mods with Mod Organizer, which miraculously fixed everything without even needing a new savegame, and am reluctant to switch to another mod installer. If in the future everyone starts swearing by Vortex, I might switch, but I don't see a reason to just yet.

If you have a stable mod setup, by all means, stick with whichever mod manager you are currently using.

The article makes mention of exactly that: "If you have a perfectly functioning load order and stable modded game then we highly recommend you do not move over to Vortex at this time."

Switching is a solid option for people who are doing a new install on e.g. a new device, or who have had issues and want to try something new.

In response to post #64260631. #64261151 is also a reply to the same post.

IXDivines wrote: Are the mods not supposed to be listed in alphabetical order, or did I mess something up? I have the mods sorted by category, but within those categories, they're not listed in alphabetical order, which is a big pain when you're looking for something. With NMM they showed up in alphabetical order within their categories. If this isn't the same for Vortex, it really should be.
Pickysaurus wrote: You can sort them by clicking on the headers. I migrated from MO2 so I prefer the sort by Install Time option.

I noticed that, and thank you for the reply. My problem is that many mods have multiple files to download, and I'm kind of having an OCD freak out right now because they're not grouped together when I select to sort by category. Would it be possible to make it so they're sorted alphabetically within the categories in a future update? Right now, my mods are a scattered mess and it's very daunting. I'm determined to use Vortex, but this might be a deal breaker for me. If it's not already on the to-do list, please consider adding it.

Edit: Came back to say that it's definitely not a deal breaker for me because Vortex just installed Interesting NPCs in under a minute. Woohoo! NMM took over an hour to do that for me. So I'll definitely be using this, but the alphabetical sorting within categories would still be grand! Edited by IXDivines

I've been using Vortex scene early alpha and i have had little issues with it the one times i would was in the updates of Vortex you guys at Black Tree Gaming and here on the Nexus did a great job on the tool

Does anyone have a guide for idiots for importing a mods archive from nmm and for creating the storage location? Because I'm completely missing something unless there is no way to have my downloaded but currently unused mods set like nmm where I have my entire mod archive for every game on one drive and the game+installed mods on the separate game drive. And that there is no way for FO4 and VR to share the same download folder. Edited by CyanideInsanity

In response to post #64272421. #64273976 is also a reply to the same post.

pefragoso wrote: Well, I have been using Vortex since it was made possible to download by regular joes (me included).

BigBizkit wrote: Thanks a lot for the positive feedback, pefragoso! You touch upon a few things that have been central goals of Vortex development such as using smart automation to lift the burden off of modders. I am sure our Vortex devs will appreciate the nice words. ;)

Hi BigBizkit,
You guys deserve the positive feedback. I've used both NMM and Mod Manager on Skyrim LE and downloaded Skyrim SE as soon as Vortex was made available in alpha. Since then, I've regularly kept Vortex updated and all mods and settings flowed easily from one update to the next. My game currently has 295 active mods and it all works.
As a program, Vortex combines the best elements of NMM and Mod Manager with a user interface that's modern, clean and rich with features. It's like the perfect child of two software parents.
Thank you for taking the time and resources to create this fabulous new tool! :-)