Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

ok so i updated vortex to the latest version today because i have heard (perhaps incorrectly) that come next month i would no longer be able to use NMM for modding my games and would have to switch over to vortex. so i decided that until that time i would continue to use NMM as i am familiar with it and i am having trouble with vortex recognizing either the location of where some of my games are installed or with where the mod are installed/going to be installed (not really sure what the issue is its all confusing to me). however that is not the reason for my comment; i just tried update one of my mods and when i tell it to download with the mod manager it tried to use vortex and not NMM. i don''t want it using vortex, I want it to download with NMM but for some reason i won't. I am not sure what to do and any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64275376.

dragonking23 wrote: ok so i updated vortex to the latest version today because i have heard (perhaps incorrectly) that come next month i would no longer be able to use NMM for modding my games and would have to switch over to vortex. so i decided that until that time i would continue to use NMM as i am familiar with it and i am having trouble with vortex recognizing either the location of where some of my games are installed or with where the mod are installed/going to be installed (not really sure what the issue is its all confusing to me). however that is not the reason for my comment; i just tried update one of my mods and when i tell it to download with the mod manager it tried to use vortex and not NMM. i don''t want it using vortex, I want it to download with NMM but for some reason i won't. I am not sure what to do and any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

Download the archive manually, open NMM and add the mod to it. I believe there's a green plus icon in the top left.

In response to post #64275376. #64275746 is also a reply to the same post.

dragonking23 wrote: ok so i updated vortex to the latest version today because i have heard (perhaps incorrectly) that come next month i would no longer be able to use NMM for modding my games and would have to switch over to vortex. so i decided that until that time i would continue to use NMM as i am familiar with it and i am having trouble with vortex recognizing either the location of where some of my games are installed or with where the mod are installed/going to be installed (not really sure what the issue is its all confusing to me). however that is not the reason for my comment; i just tried update one of my mods and when i tell it to download with the mod manager it tried to use vortex and not NMM. i don''t want it using vortex, I want it to download with NMM but for some reason i won't. I am not sure what to do and any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.
Kriptik5 wrote: Download the archive manually, open NMM and add the mod to it. I believe there's a green plus icon in the top left.

Open NMM with administrator privileges, that's a left click and it brings up that option. Once NMM is open, open the settings. On the top of the General page you have Associations, click on the 2nd one down that says Associate with NXM URL's and the third one that says Associate with FOMod (* .fomod ) files. You can hit those two again to check them, but I think closing the program does that. Close NMM, now reopen normally and try to download, it should work, it has in the past.

In response to post #64275376. #64275746, #64275826 are all replies on the same post.

Kriptik5 wrote: Download the archive manually, open NMM and add the mod to it. I believe there's a green plus icon in the top left.
instyne49 wrote: Open NMM with administrator privileges, that's a left click and it brings up that option. Once NMM is open, open the settings. On the top of the General page you have Associations, click on the 2nd one down that says Associate with NXM URL's and the third one that says Associate with FOMod (* .fomod ) files. You can hit those two again to check them, but I think closing the program does that. Close NMM, now reopen normally and try to download, it should work, it has in the past.

ok to add some more information; i just uninstalled vortex from my computer completely and then tried to download a mod from the nexus using the mod manager download button and now nothing happens. i don't get a pop-up warning asking for permission ( i run NMM in admin mode) nor does it start downloading in NMM itself. I am at a loss of what to do here, for all intensive purposes vortex broke NMM and now i can only download mods manually. I even had a friend of mine try and download something using NMM because he has never had vortex at all and his works fine; he told me the only weird thing was that he had to confirm that he wanted to download using NMM and not vortex (if i understood him correctly mind you). really would like some help with this please and thank you.

In response to post #64275376. #64275746, #64275826, #64275941 are all replies on the same post.

instyne49 wrote: Open NMM with administrator privileges, that's a left click and it brings up that option. Once NMM is open, open the settings. On the top of the General page you have Associations, click on the 2nd one down that says Associate with NXM URL's and the third one that says Associate with FOMod (* .fomod ) files. You can hit those two again to check them, but I think closing the program does that. Close NMM, now reopen normally and try to download, it should work, it has in the past.
dragonking23 wrote: ok to add some more information; i just uninstalled vortex from my computer completely and then tried to download a mod from the nexus using the mod manager download button and now nothing happens. i don't get a pop-up warning asking for permission ( i run NMM in admin mode) nor does it start downloading in NMM itself. I am at a loss of what to do here, for all intensive purposes vortex broke NMM and now i can only download mods manually. I even had a friend of mine try and download something using NMM because he has never had vortex at all and his works fine; he told me the only weird thing was that he had to confirm that he wanted to download using NMM and not vortex (if i understood him correctly mind you). really would like some help with this please and thank you.

ok thanks for the info Kriptik5 and instyne49. i literally just saw your posts after i posted and and i clicked on the settings(gear icon button) and it re-associated nmm with the nxm url's and i was able to download something using NMM so thanks for the help and quick replies and you can ignore me second comment. Edited by dragonking23

In response to post #64274346.

CyanideInsanity wrote: Does anyone have a guide for idiots for importing a mods archive from nmm and for creating the storage location? Because I'm completely missing something unless there is no way to have my downloaded but currently unused mods set like nmm where I have my entire mod archive for every game on one drive and the game+installed mods on the separate game drive. And that there is no way for FO4 and VR to share the same download folder.

Open Vortex and go to the downloads section. Open the directory that holds all the mods you downloaded for NMM. Select and drag the zip files to the box that says 'Drop URL(s) or File(s)' and let go, it will download/transfer them to the list. You can probably do the same with files from the Nexus, only you'd be dragging the address to that little box.

Beyond that, I am mystified because Vortex doesn't seem to categorize them by the game they are attached to. I know they do it, but aside from the download section, I can't view the mods. All Skyrim lets me do is start the game, not view the mods I installed for it.

In response to post #64274346. #64278176 is also a reply to the same post.

CyanideInsanity wrote: Does anyone have a guide for idiots for importing a mods archive from nmm and for creating the storage location? Because I'm completely missing something unless there is no way to have my downloaded but currently unused mods set like nmm where I have my entire mod archive for every game on one drive and the game+installed mods on the separate game drive. And that there is no way for FO4 and VR to share the same download folder.
DigitalWraith wrote: Open Vortex and go to the downloads section. Open the directory that holds all the mods you downloaded for NMM. Select and drag the zip files to the box that says 'Drop URL(s) or File(s)' and let go, it will download/transfer them to the list. You can probably do the same with files from the Nexus, only you'd be dragging the address to that little box.

Beyond that, I am mystified because Vortex doesn't seem to categorize them by the game they are attached to. I know they do it, but aside from the download section, I can't view the mods. All Skyrim lets me do is start the game, not view the mods I installed for it.

Thanks for the help. Looks like its still not time for me to even bother with vortex. Edited by CyanideInsanity

Vortex is amazing, and here's why. I've been using mods for a long time, started using them with Morrowind way back when. That is to say that I'm not a dolt when it comes to modding. I installed Vortex just yesterday and went through reinstalling all my mods for both Skyrim and FO4 (that's a LOT of mods). Amazingly, and this seems like magic to me, I started up FO4 and everything worked - no weird notifications or glitches. What is even more amazing is that I discovered some mods that I had thought were installed but were not working properly (or at all). With NMM I had to also use LOOT and some other things and I was never sure of what was working. The mod list in Vortex shows me dependencies, conflicts and all sorts of other things.

Thank you devs for making an often convoluted process much easier :D

In response to post #64274346. #64278176, #64279141 are all replies on the same post.

DigitalWraith wrote: Open Vortex and go to the downloads section. Open the directory that holds all the mods you downloaded for NMM. Select and drag the zip files to the box that says 'Drop URL(s) or File(s)' and let go, it will download/transfer them to the list. You can probably do the same with files from the Nexus, only you'd be dragging the address to that little box.

CyanideInsanity wrote: Thanks for the help. Looks like its still not time for me to even bother with vortex.

Same here.. I'll wait for it to come out of beta. 5 years maybe?

In response to post #64263456.

silencer711 wrote: NMM GitHub Links:
1. Main Page
2. Releases
3. Read Me

VORTEX Links:
1. VORTEX Wiki
2. VORTEX Dev GitHub Wiki
3. Why Switch To Vortex?
4. About Vortex
5. Download Vortex
:)