Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

In response to post #64240536. #64241556, #64257346, #64259246, #64260621 are all replies on the same post.

XanderVirtus wrote: I can't find any information on whether it's possible to import your own specific load order in Vortex? I don't want a Loot auto sorted load order since it will cause bugs, I want my own specific load order exported from NMM since that is the one that works. Is it possible to do that in Vortex?
LilikeSound wrote: I'm not on the dev team for Vortex, but I have been using it for a while and I can confirm for you that you can disable the autosort feature. There is a little icon for it on the plugins tab, you just click it and its disabled. I can also confirm that Vortex can hook into LOOT for managing a load order, so if you have custom user metadata there shouldn't be any problem. Wrye Bash, Creation Kit, Dyndolod, Texgen, FNIS, and Bodyslide can all be added to the tools tab and be run directly from the Vortex interface. Vortex also has no problems (in my experience) handling FOMODs or other installers.
XanderVirtus wrote: What about NMM load orders? Ordering 255 mods by hand is a lot of work, and I have all bethesda games installed and modded to the limit. If I can't import that load list I will be sorting mods for days.
Pickysaurus wrote: Believe it or not, the 'specific' load order doesn't actually matter all that much in Bethesda titles. You can "group" mods together using LOOT groups to keep them together, but per-plugin rules are often not required.
XanderVirtus wrote: I've come across some really weird issues that I was only able to solve by a really specific load order, I can't give a reason why exactly but that's my experience. Another reason could be that users want to order their load order specifically for a better personal overview, even if it's not necessary. They way I created my load order was to sort it with loot, group mods together by type (for my own overview of it all) leaving the place in the load order more or less in tact, and finally make small adjustments based on bugs I find. It takes a lot of work, but I'm left with a load order I love.

"group mods together by type"

That's exactly what groups in Vortex can do, but it'll put them in the optimum order within the groups :)

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64261111.

Lloydd94 wrote:

Exactly. That was one of the other programs it got rid of. FNIS had to be redownloaded as well as LOOT.

In response to post #64260731.

Lloydd94 wrote:

I'm agreeing with you there. I tried giving Vortex a chance, but because of it, I'm having to redo every mod I had. Vortex destroyed my load order, deleted plugins some mods require to run, and even went and deleted some mods themselves. They should have just kept with NMM. And I have to agree even more: Vortex is difficult to use, even being a veteran modder.

I love you guys at Nexus, but I have to be honest, I'm sticking with NMM. It's far easier to use and to organize my mods. Vortex is neither easier to use, nor designed as sensibly and as much as I want to believe that you'll be taking our feedback on it, that simply has not been the case so far. Many people want manual load order manipulation, I want to be able to rename and organize my mods in all categories and I simply don't understand why there are now multiple screens to do what used to be done on one. Posting that has just resulted in being attacked and told the new features are better when they clearly aren't. I'll keep an eye on this into the future, but for now Vortex is the hardest of passes for me personally.

that and you can't use cbbe outfit studio.

LOOT is built into Vortex, so not required.

Info on that here: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/About_Load_Orders

The "built in LOOT" destroyed my load order and deleted a few plugins and mods that were required for other mods to work. Because of it, I'm having to manually go through and fix what Vortex broke. Everything was fine up until I download the mod manager and hit the import mods from NMM. To me, Vortex just wasn't ready to be released, even as a beta. THANKFULLY, I figured out how to group mods together using nmm and using the install dates as a reference on what goes where.

Edited by Lloydd94

In response to post #64240536. #64241556, #64257346, #64259246, #64260621, #64261171 are all replies on the same post.

XanderVirtus wrote: I can't find any information on whether it's possible to import your own specific load order in Vortex? I don't want a Loot auto sorted load order since it will cause bugs, I want my own specific load order exported from NMM since that is the one that works. Is it possible to do that in Vortex?
LilikeSound wrote: I'm not on the dev team for Vortex, but I have been using it for a while and I can confirm for you that you can disable the autosort feature. There is a little icon for it on the plugins tab, you just click it and its disabled. I can also confirm that Vortex can hook into LOOT for managing a load order, so if you have custom user metadata there shouldn't be any problem. Wrye Bash, Creation Kit, Dyndolod, Texgen, FNIS, and Bodyslide can all be added to the tools tab and be run directly from the Vortex interface. Vortex also has no problems (in my experience) handling FOMODs or other installers.
XanderVirtus wrote: What about NMM load orders? Ordering 255 mods by hand is a lot of work, and I have all bethesda games installed and modded to the limit. If I can't import that load list I will be sorting mods for days.
Pickysaurus wrote: Believe it or not, the 'specific' load order doesn't actually matter all that much in Bethesda titles. You can "group" mods together using LOOT groups to keep them together, but per-plugin rules are often not required.
XanderVirtus wrote: I've come across some really weird issues that I was only able to solve by a really specific load order, I can't give a reason why exactly but that's my experience. Another reason could be that users want to order their load order specifically for a better personal overview, even if it's not necessary. They way I created my load order was to sort it with loot, group mods together by type (for my own overview of it all) leaving the place in the load order more or less in tact, and finally make small adjustments based on bugs I find. It takes a lot of work, but I'm left with a load order I love.
Pickysaurus wrote: "group mods together by type"

That's exactly what groups in Vortex can do, but it'll put them in the optimum order within the groups :)

Sounds great. After you configure groups, and setup rules, can you export this configuration (is there a backup feature, can't find anything on that with a quick search)?

BTW Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, I really appreciate that!

In response to post #64240536. #64241556, #64257346, #64259246, #64260621, #64261171, #64262241 are all replies on the same post.

Pickysaurus wrote: "group mods together by type"

XanderVirtus wrote: Sounds great. After you configure groups, and setup rules, can you export this configuration (is there a backup feature, can't find anything on that with a quick search)?

BTW Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, I really appreciate that!

Not at the moment, but it's been requested a few times, so we may add it in future :)

In response to post #64261786.

Lloydd94 wrote:

In response to post #64261111.

Lloydd94 wrote:

Exactly. That was one of the other programs it got rid of. FNIS had to be redownloaded as well as LOOT.

In response to post #64260731.

Lloydd94 wrote:

I'm agreeing with you there. I tried giving Vortex a chance, but because of it, I'm having to redo every mod I had. Vortex destroyed my load order, deleted plugins some mods require to run, and even went and deleted some mods themselves. They should have just kept with NMM. And I have to agree even more: Vortex is difficult to use, even being a veteran modder.

I love you guys at Nexus, but I have to be honest, I'm sticking with NMM. It's far easier to use and to organize my mods. Vortex is neither easier to use, nor designed as sensibly and as much as I want to believe that you'll be taking our feedback on it, that simply has not been the case so far. Many people want manual load order manipulation, I want to be able to rename and organize my mods in all categories and I simply don't understand why there are now multiple screens to do what used to be done on one. Posting that has just resulted in being attacked and told the new features are better when they clearly aren't. I'll keep an eye on this into the future, but for now Vortex is the hardest of passes for me personally.

that and you can't use cbbe outfit studio.

LOOT is built into Vortex, so not required.
Info on that here: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/About_Load_Orders

The "built in LOOT" destroyed my load order and deleted a few plugins and mods that were required for other mods to work. Because of it, I'm having to manually go through and fix what Vortex broke. Everything was fine up until I download the mod manager and hit the import mods from NMM. To me, Vortex just wasn't ready to be released, even as a beta. THANKFULLY, I figured out how to group mods together using nmm and using the install dates as a reference on what goes where.

That's not actually possible, I suspect it's a quirk with NMM's messy file structure and how Vortex tried to make sense of it on import. But I'm glad you figured it out.

NMM GitHub Links:

1. Main Page

2. Releases

3. Read Me

VORTEX Links:

1. VORTEX Wiki

2. VORTEX Dev GitHub Wiki

3. Why Switch To Vortex?

4. About Vortex

5. Download Vortex

:)

Edited by silencer711