Mod Authors Forum Access.

HeyYou

Yeah, that's the Beth side of things. But I can tell you some nasty changes have happened since MS got involved into Minecraft. And a major part of modders/players stuck with the last pre MS version(1.12.2).

F.e. there were some mods that got absorbed into later game versions, without consulting any of the org creators, while others got some share. There was a bit of outrage.

But then, in difference to the Beth EULA, the Minecraft EULA makes it very clear, that Mojang has the right to integrate anything at will, without the need to ask. I actually might be wrong the Beth EULA doesn't say something similar.

Fallout 4 is basically a compilation of Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 Mods.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's the Beth side of things. But I can tell you some nasty changes have happened since MS got involved into Minecraft. And a major part of modders/players stuck with the last pre MS version(1.12.2).

F.e. there were some mods that got absorbed into later game versions, without consulting any of the org creators, while others got some share. There was a bit of outrage.

But then, in difference to the Beth EULA, the Minecraft EULA makes it very clear, that Mojang has the right to integrate anything at will, without the need to ask. I actually might be wrong the Beth EULA doesn't say something similar.

Actually, according to the CK EULA, beth can do anything they want with your mods, without so much as a by-your-leave. And they have. :D Of course, they have also hired talented modders as well.

As HeyYou pointed out, BGS does have it written into the EULA that by using the CK you give them license to utilize any of the content in the mod/s you create, and they have acted on that in the past. The murder mystery quest in the hotel from the Far Harbor DLC for Fallout4 was allegedly a re-imagining/rip-off of an existing mod for Fallout3. On the other hand, a few modders have ended up being employed by BGS based on their contributions to modding; author Fading Signal springs to mind as he was hired as a consultant, to my best knowledge. No idea if he's still doing that, or if he's moved up the ranks.

Fallout 4 is basically a compilation of Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 Mods.

Fallout: New Vegas is Fallout 3 with a few mods.

But since you can't prevent them from being "inspired" by your mod as long as they write the code themselves it's legal.

It's also basically how the entire gaming industry works. Everybody copies from everybody else.

To the best of my knowledge, even Bugthesda has never claimed irrevocable rights of of ownership, distribution and modification of work done by someone outside their company without any compensation whatsoever.

This is precisely what Robin Scott is doing.

I can provide a screenshot if him stating that very fact if it is required.

It's definitely not modification. And it's not ownership since he can't sell your work. Seems like the distribution bit to me.

He is making money from it being here. Not 'selling' per se, but, monetizing nonetheless.

And what would call what he is doing? It's like 'loaning' something to someone, and then they tell you they are never going to give it back. Sounds like 'ownership' to me. Or theft...... No matter how you slice it, it most certainly appears unethical to me.

Except you didn't loan it to them. You let them make a copy. And told them they could use it forever. And you still have your copy. But you want to take away their copy. Even though they built a business around having that copy available. And they can't change the copy in any way while you still can.