Nice work....

Erenar

@CrEaToXx, thank you. And yes, the part about coming to terms with this is exactly right.

From your point of view, this may be correct, but there is more than one opinion on the subject

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ability to make a mod page with no files but information on where to get the mod files is already in place.

A quick check of the various game script extenders shows this. You just need a place to host the files.

Even then, when you upload a mod, there is a MIRRORS section, where is says:

ZtQQ6jF.jpg

So, it is a thing and it is within the guidelines, since it is Nexus themselves that provides this function, and you are absolutely right. :smile:

That said, I am not sure if this is a safe/wise thing to do, in case it exposes the offsite mod to the API and modpacks, for those that do not wish to be in a modpack with their stuff.

That said, I am not sure if this is a safe/wise thing to do, in case it exposes the offsite mod to the API and modpacks, for those that do not wish to be in a modpack with their stuff.

Don't use that function then, I would just say in the description where people need to go and give them an URL, and if Nexus wants to censor and make new rules where you can't leave links to other websites(which they have already done for certain sites), then just leave a .txt file in your download file where the URL is located that people need to follow.

Yes its inconvenient, yes people will have to learn how to manually install mods, and we have Nexus to thank for it.

Edited by Guest

people will have to learn how to manually install mods, and we have Nexus to thank for it.

No they won't. Regardless of where the mod is downloaded from you can still drag and drop the file into Vortex or MO2 and have it install the normal way.

Maybe a stupid question but if you're not going to make your entire mod available for users from the nexus but force them to use some offsite thing (allowable or not), why even bother? Because as a user I would go "that's nice, I'll use another mod instead". Being user-hostile is generally perceived as a bad thing, and inconveniencing users for whatever point you were hoping to make IS user-hostile. If you have that level of disagreement with a hosting site, find another one altogether. Why this tortured construct?

Guest deleted34304850

yeah that's a stupid question

how do you use "another mod instead"? mods are pretty unique, written to perform a certain function a certain way. they're not like pdf readers, for example.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

how do you use "another mod instead"? mods are pretty unique, written to perform a certain function a certain way. they're not like pdf readers, for example.

Except that not all mods are 'unique'.

It would depend on the exact mod. Take Fallout mods: There are multiple mods that add new building pieces to the workshop that use textures found in game already. Are these mods the exact same? No, there are some that are better, some that are worse, but they pretty much do the exact same thing.

If I were to run into a mod that is on Nexus that says 'hah, go to this random website' I would absolutely look for a different mod that does the same thing. It might not be as good as another mod, but it also isn't asking me, a user who has nothing to do with collections, doesn't pay for premium, has adblock, and just wants pretty shiny mods to jump through hoops because the mod author is upset at changes made, whether they have a reason to be upset.

Maybe in some of the smaller modded games, they are more unique, but in many of the games I have played, that have mods, generally there are two or three mods that will do the same general thing, albeit in a different way. If I couldn't find a mod that is similar and that I want? I would do without the mod.

Guest deleted34304850

Except that not all mods are 'unique'.

It would depend on the exact mod. Take Fallout mods: There are multiple mods that add new building pieces to the workshop that use textures found in game already. Are these mods the exact same? No, there are some that are better, some that are worse, but they pretty much do the exact same thing.

yikes. I stopped reading that tripe at the cutoff point above.

Maybe a stupid question but if you're not going to make your entire mod available for users from the nexus but force them to use some offsite thing (allowable or not), why even bother? Because as a user I would go "that's nice, I'll use another mod instead". Being user-hostile is generally perceived as a bad thing, and inconveniencing users for whatever point you were hoping to make IS user-hostile. If you have that level of disagreement with a hosting site, find another one altogether. Why this tortured construct?

yes a stupid question but I'll answer anyway:

1. I will retain my own rights over my own mods this way, so no site like Nexus can claim it for themselves and distribute it forever, or edit my mods, its all in their TOS, they can literally do what they want with your mod, I even asked them what would happen if I would get banned and then send a GDPR request to remove all my data, and their answer was that they would "unlink" me from my mod, like remove my name and everything else that makes me the owner of my mod, effectively making my mod "ownerless" but they will keep distributing it.

Also just think for a moment, you can get banned by a moderator "at their discretion", you lose all access to your mods and get 0 compensation at this point, no donations points, nothing, while Nexus will still keep making a profit from the content of a person they removed all access from, that in itself should break the TOS since it no longer gives both parties an agreement that benefits them both, only one party will benefit while the other gets nothing, and yet Nexus claims otherwise and will proceed with their immoral and disgusting actions.

2. My mods are unique, go look around and who else put in all the effort to build new Telvanni interiors and build an entire Telvanni player tower with all whistles and bells and an entire town around it....nobody. And Lakeview Extended is also pretty unique, so don't for a second think anyone can just rebuild all of that, the way you think about mods being replaceable is very basic and shows a lack of understanding (and respect) on how long it takes and how much effort it takes to build something big and magnificent from scratch. I even had to pay for MAX3DS out of my own pocket to make those interior meshes, imagine that, paid for programs to build assets and Nexus runs off with them all and can do with them as they please, yeah i don't think so.

3. "Being user-hostile is generally perceived as a bad thing", I would never have wanted to do these things, to protect myself from this kind of hostility towards authors, but I have 0 choice in the matter since Nexus gave me an ultimatum of "surrender in 30 days or leave", so don't blame me for their forced ultimatum, I really wish I had other options to pick from, but I don't.

And how dare you asking me to surrender just so its more convenient for you, be frigging happy that you get a big mod that took 2 years to build all for free, but your too lazy to download some files from another website and then call me the hostile one.

You want convenience? Go to McDonalds and die of heart-disease in your 40's, or you can put in some effort and make decent meals... Clearly you prefer the convenience.

4. many other mods and translations depend on my mods, if I were to totally leave they would have a hard time finding my files, if I remake new mod pages with an "incomplete" mod and people have to go to another mod site to get the "other part of the mod" to get the complete mod, it would still be better and easier for them since they can still find my mod pages on Nexus and know what to do, as opposed to randomly searching on the internet or google wandering where the heck my mods went, and they need my mods for their own mods to function.

So in this manner I try not to totally screw over the people who need my mods for their mods/translations to function, and again, don't blame me for this, blame Nexus for not giving me any other choices to pick from.

with a hosting site, find another one altogether

So your telling me I'm hostile while all I'm trying to do is make it easier for people and still retain my own rights over my mods, but your the one telling me what I need to do and leave, your joking right...and then you wander why some authors get so fed up with entitled people like you.

I thought Nexus was my home, an art gallery that displays my art but its still my art and my choice what happens to it, this made me feel protected and I would have honestly never deleted my files, no way, not after all the hard work I put in them and not after more than 10 years of Nexus keeping its word and building trust.

Nexus broke that trust big time, they simply cannot be trusted anymore to keep their word, they even removed the ability for us to remove files 3 days prior to even announcing they did it on purpose, we were all thinking it was a bug... only to find out later it was intentional and then they give their ultimatum...

Don't blame me for Nexus pushing me away and having to resort to these ridiculous precautionary actions to protect myself, all because I stand for the values that Nexus used to stand for, and if you don't understand what I mean by that then read my signature.

Edited by Guest

Even then, when you upload a mod, there is a MIRRORS section

Mirrors didn't work well for me. When I moved my major mod, I first tried to simply use the mirrors option, but players wasn't aware of them.

An updated description and sticky comment worked better.

A text file uploaded as new version worked the best. Users got the notification and got informed of the new location.

There's nothing against it in the TOS; they require a complete file to be available, and the old version was still available.

Once I decided to delete the Nexus mod page, I filled the title with random words or a "MOVED TO <new location>" to make sure Google wouldn't serve users wrong results. The reason is Nexus is not actually deleting pages with a proper 404 http code.

I can definitely sympathize with Ac3s, which is why I took these measures 2 years ago. The reason I realized this was coming is in my private communications, I couldn't share that but otherwise I tried to be as vocal as I could.