Trying to understand

MajorCyco

It's kinda funny. I never considered seriously the reality of trying to monetize mod creation. I'm pretty sure Nexusmods has done that as well as anyone could. I doubt Nexusmods' owners/employees are driving Maybachs; I don't even know if it is a living, so kudos to Nexusmods.

On the other side of this coin are the mod authors -- my limited experience with whom has, on balance, been less than desirable. I've distributed >$200 to 20 different mod authors and received exactly one (1) thank you in return. Manners are rarely innate and must be taught.

I'm aware that 20 is not a significant sample size, so this must not be interpreted as representative. And with that in mind, I'll continue my customs.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money is a factor, of course.

But there are lots of easier ways for them to get it. So this isn't "JUST" about money. It's a foolish statement.

Name three.

Wabbajack came along, and showed 'one click modding' was possible. Nexus wants their system to stand out, so, they will have collections that 'always work'. It was pretty obvious that this was the direction modding needed to go to grow much more, so, Nexus jumped on the bandwagon as well, with "their idea". Now, to make theirs better, we have mods that can't be deleted, so, any collection that is uploaded, is pretty much guaranteed to always be there. Which does indeed make them 'better'. But of course, the masses need motivation to spend money, thus, only premium members get the actual one click experience. And you just know that folks aren't going to want to go thru the hassle of downloading every mod, so vortex can then install them..... So, they'll spring for a month of premium. Nexus will be getting paid for collections. Simple as that.

It IS about the money. If you think that's a foolish statement, then you need to look in the mirror. You've been cheerleading for Nexus since this whole thing began. Are you getting paid for this? Or do you just think mod authors don't deserve control over the work they create, and share with ungrateful, entitled people, such as yourself?

Money is a factor, of course.

But there are lots of easier ways for them to get it. So this isn't "JUST" about money. It's a foolish statement.

Name three.

You've been cheerleading for Nexus since this whole thing began. Are you getting paid for this? Or do you just think mod authors don't deserve control over the work they create, and share with ungrateful, entitled people, such as yourself?

First, they could easily have left the deletion process in place and just made a half-assed system like Steam has. They still would have sold Premium accounts for the faster automatic downloading and installation. It would have been a worse system, but way easier and less controversial to implement.

Second, screw you and your "are you getting paid" bullshit. It's NOT ABOUT MONEY!. I actually suggested an opt-out system in the beginning until I read what they posted and looked at from a user's perspective.

Your side's constant hurling of insults, accusations and cries of "think of the poor modders" is tiresome. It's not gaining you any sympathy.

You're not losing control of your mods just because you can't delete old files. You'll never convince me that this is the hill that modding dies on.

My biggest problem with this Collection system isn't that we can't delete our files, but the fact that we can't opt-out of the Collection system. I'm not against the idea of Collections, but I don't think the Nexus should be stripping a mod author of their right to have some control over their mods.

When have you ever had any control over whether someone puts your mod on a Wabbajack list, a mod list, a modding guide or anything else?

My biggest problem with this Collection system isn't that we can't delete our files, but the fact that we can't opt-out of the Collection system. I'm not against the idea of Collections, but I don't think the Nexus should be stripping a mod author of their right to have some control over their mods.

When have you ever had any control over whether someone puts your mod on a Wabbajack list, a mod list, a modding guide or anything else?

I haven't modded for quite some time, so I'll be honest, the whole Wabbajack thing was news to me, and I only found out about it because of this whole debate that's going on at the moment. I understand your point about mod lists, but there is a difference between a mod list you have to read and get the mod from a link to the Nexus, versus having a system that is actually forcing your mod to continue existing whether you want it or not, in order to operate.

With a mod list, the person creating the mod list is at the whims of the mod author. With the Nexus' Collection system, the mod author is now at the whims of the Collection system.

So are you mad about the archiving or the lack of opt out. Because you just said the opt out was your biggest issue.

I wouldn't say I'm mad, just disappointed. The Nexus was my "home away from home" for a large portion of my life, and I loved the site so much that it was, and to this day still is, the only website I've ever spent any money on (apart from shopping sites of course). As for your question; I can understand the archiving aspect of it and that part doesn't really bother me. The part that bothers me is the lack of an opt-out; not because I want to use it (I actually like the concept of Collections, and definitely support making modding easier for people), but because it just feels like an erosion of the rights the Nexus fought hard for us, and now seems intent to take away from us.

It's kinda funny. I never considered seriously the reality of trying to monetize mod creation. I'm pretty sure Nexusmods has done that as well as anyone could. I doubt Nexusmods' owners/employees are driving Maybachs; I don't even know if it is a living, so kudos to Nexusmods.

On the other side of this coin are the mod authors -- my limited experience with whom has, on balance, been less than desirable. I've distributed >$200 to 20 different mod authors and received exactly one (1) thank you in return. Manners are rarely innate and must be taught.

I'm aware that 20 is not a significant sample size, so this must not be interpreted as representative. And with that in mind, I'll continue my customs.

I don't know about most other authors, but in my personal experience the people who I used to send thank-yous to would often react as though I'd broken into their homes or something. They honestly had no idea their information was made available. This happened often enough that I figure most people just don't get how the whole setup works so I stopped responding to any of the emails Paypal sends me.

The reality is, direct donations reveal an awful lot about your donors they may not realize is being revealed. At the same time, it reveals an awful lot about us as mod authors too that in some cases we may not want being known to some random person on the internet. Funneling it through either Patreon or the DP system preserves a measure of privacy for both sides.

I have no interest in someone curating my mods or in bundles. As Nexus has been such a critical part of my gaming for so long, I am really disappointed. I would offer for consideration allowing mod authors to opt out to ensure that we can maintain the quality of products for your customers. Again, my perspective, is that this move is tailored for novices at the expense of us older, experienced games.

I'm with you. I have no interest in Collections either and prefer to create my own mod experience. I don't really care that Nexus is getting into Collections/curated modlists, or whatever, but I do care that a lot of my favourite mods are being taken offsite.

I've tried to read some posts on the reasoning behind why opt-out was not an option, but it seemed to really come down to, "because we said so". I can think of a number of ways opting out can work, for example, opting out means your mod will never be used in any Collection and therefore will not matter whether or not it gets deleted.

And if it's a matter of money, I don't mind paying another nominal fee (like the one to remove ads) to have access to opted out mods or the old system. Honestly I'd like anything, really, except this completely fractured system we see coming up in August.