Trying to understand

MajorCyco

He which pays for the file hosts , the programming of website , the database and bandwidth and everything else gets to make the rules

He wouldn't be able to pay for any of it if it wansn't for authors putting mods here, the very same people who he now gladly throws under the bus by removing their own control over their own creations.

Explain this to me: why are we not allowed to remove only a few files, why is there only one option to nuke literally everything?

Ive got mod pages with thousands of endorsements, but I need to nuke everything, all the history, comments, links other people put to my pages, other mods that need my mod to function and also link to my mod, all because I want to remove only a few files.

Nice rules...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The damage is "minor"

Even if people claim not that many mods will be deleted, the trust that always was here is now gone, we trusted Nexus to do the right thing, to respect author's right to choose if, when and where they will distribute their own creations and have full control over it.

Nexus no longer has this trust, they made a 180 in secret and even removed the ability for us to delete 3 days prior even telling us, they have been planning this for 2 years...

Always look at the actions, they speak louder than words, why would decent authors even upload on a website that takes control of their own creations they worked years on, for all we know Nexus will just make up new rules and do something like this in the future again, perhaps even worse, and then force it on everyone once more with an ultimatum of "surrender or leave" instead of giving decent options to choose from, or maybe they won't even give an ultimatum next time at all...

Trust is one of the most important things in the world, its one of the founding blocks that made Nexus great, we could always rely on them to do the right thing...good old days...

Well, with the recent changes, once the deadline passes, Nexus can do pretty much whatever they want, shuffle their ToS however they want, and authors will have NO recourse, at all. Their mods are here, and here to stay, regardless of what Nexus does, or mod authors have to say. THAT is what REALLY bothers me.

He which pays for the file hosts , the programming of website , the database and bandwidth and everything else gets to make the rules

He wouldn't be able to pay for any of it if it wansn't for authors putting mods here, the very same people who he now gladly throws under the bus by removing their own control over their own creations.

Explain this to me: why are we not allowed to remove only a few files, why is there only one option to nuke literally everything?

Ive got mod pages with thousands of endorsements, but I need to nuke everything, all the history, comments, links other people put to my pages, other mods that need my mod to function and also link to my mod, all because I want to remove only a few files.

Nice rules...

Because a "mod collection" might be built for a very specific version of that mod with patch files and maybe even a very specific mod to create a whole new experience to go along with the "mod collection" patching multiple mods together for example.

Now imagine the mod author of just one of those 100 mods in the collection modifies or deletes the file off the website.

All the patches and mods that might have been made for that collection would be broken.

100+ mods changing constantly (we are not just talking skyrim /f4 here) with thousands of users with broken save games.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/rlcraft

Edited by TexMex477

Well, with the recent changes, once the deadline passes, Nexus can do pretty much whatever they want, shuffle their ToS however they want, and authors will have NO recourse, at all. Their mods are here, and here to stay, regardless of what Nexus does, or mod authors have to say. THAT is what REALLY bothers me.

Perfect to the point

Nice rules...

I'll admit, I don't understand that. I've kind of thought that it might be a knee-jerk angry reaction to people calling him everything from a thief to a capitalist pig as soon as the announcement was made and the threats to intentionally sabotage the site. I've been hoping that either we will get an explanation or that they would reconsider.

Nice rules...

Because a "mod collection" might be built for a very specific version of that mod with patch files and maybe even a very specific mod to create a whole new experience to go along with the "mod collection" patching multiple mods together for example.

Now imagine the mod author of just one of those 100 mods in the collection modifies or deletes the file off the website.

All the patches and mods that might have been made for that collection would be broken.

100+ mods changing constantly (we are not just talking skyrim /f4 here) with thousands of users with broken save games.

And how is that any different than what mod list authors have been doing since mods became a thing?

Nice rules...

Nah. That will only be an issue when Collections go live. Ac3s is talking about removing only specific mods _during the grace period_ with remaining mods being locked in place after that grace period is over. It wouldn't affect Collections at all.

And how is that any different than what mod list authors have been doing since mods became a thing?

Because Nexus isn't interested in building a system that's the same as or worse than what already exists.

Yeah, by depriving mod authors control of their own work.

Can't say I think much of that particular decision. (in case that hasn't already become patently obvious. :) )