Trying to understand

MajorCyco

mod authors will get to have input into how the system works and mitigating problems for the mod authors is going to be a major topic of discussion, but no one here will care.

Â

You mean like we had input on this part of the system? So we get voice our genuine concerns and then get completely ignored on them or dismissed. We are being asked to trust them, after they shattered our trust.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mod authors will get to have input into how the system works and mitigating problems for the mod authors is going to be a major topic of discussion, but no one here will care.

Â

You mean like we had input on this part of the system? So we get voice our genuine concerns and then get completely ignored on them or dismissed. We are being asked to trust them, after they shattered our trust.

No, I mean mod authors who stay and participate.

I just can't believe this great era is about to come to an abrupt end on the edge of one of the most obvious best moves for modding in general (curated collections) that i had wondered for years when it was going to finally occur in somebodies brain - only to have it implemented in such an aggressive way so as to undermine the entire ethos of the modding community, to miss that basic psychology, that simplest of democratic functions of mutual trust, to let the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few in a context so obvious to the cultural reality of who those few and those many are and what the arbitrator themselves will gain as a direct result of. You simply cannot gunboat creators who are not motivated by capitalism all the while profiting from their work, and you can't hoik half of them into the sea while smiling pleasantly at the remaining half as if you won't hoik half of them into the sea next. It must be a mutually equitable relationship. And this is me assuming best case here, that Nexus intentions are pure but misguided, rather than them simply wanting to eschew financial risk by assuming ownership of creators free labour. I read the spin from Nexus with good spirits, it looked great, very exciting, but the draconian clauses that came later are the death knell that i urge nexus management to understand and mitigate.

Â

It's patently obvious that mod authors don't get a say in how the system works. If you can't see that, maybe you should lay off the koolaid for a while.

Yes, collections will be downloaded by folks that don't have a clue, and install something their machine simply can't handle. We will also have users that install a collection, then add 'a couple more' mods to it, and break it. If it's *just* the collection, the user isn't going to have the faintest idea which mods is killing his machine. Is he just going to pick a random mod out of his list, and go whine to the author? Or will he go to the lists page, and whine there? Likely both, but, more often than not, likely the latter. The users that add mods to a list, and break, are highly likely to blame the author of the last mod they installed. (yes, we have seen that before too.)

None of this is new. There is a thread in GMAD about just such things. It ran to hundreds of pages......

Kinda proving my point, many more authors would have stayed or kept updating their mods here if nexus had been willing to work with authors on this part of the system. After seeing how this has went, I imagine a fair number of authors would be hesitant to participate, nexus has made it pretty clear that they aren't willing to make compromises or changes to the core of the system and those are the ones that really matter.

I'm well aware that you and me see this matter very differently, but I think even you can admit that if nexus had handled this better more authors would be staying and willing to Participate in the future

Kinda proving my point, many more authors would have stayed or kept updating their mods here if nexus had been willing to work with authors on this part of the system. After seeing how this has went, I imagine a fair number of authors would be hesitant to participate, nexus has made it pretty clear that they aren't willing to make compromises or changes to the core of the system and those are the ones that really matter.

I'm well aware that you and me see this matter very differently, but I think even you can admit that if nexus had handled this better more authors would be staying and willing to Participate in the future

The problem is that "deleting files" is the hard line for both sides. Nexus needs it to accomplish the goal they are aiming for (cue people saying "but they could do something that would produce a lesser goal instead"), many mod authors aren't willing to give up that option. Neither side will budge on that. So, those that can't budge will leave.

But that will leave a whole lot of mod authors who are willing to accept losing deletions. Those authors will work with Nexus on how the system is implemented, how it affects the mod authors, how it affects the curators and the Collection users. There's lots to be discussed about how the system will work _while still accomplishing what Nexus wants to accomplish_.

That's why I say it will be those who stay who will be consulted. Because those who don't stay are demanding something Nexus won't give up. So there's nothing left to discuss with them.

The problem is that "deleting files" is the hard line for both sides. Nexus needs it to accomplish the goal they are aiming for (cue people saying "but they could do something that would produce a lesser goal instead"), many mod authors aren't willing to give up that option. Neither side will budge on that. So, those that can't budge will leave.

But that will leave a whole lot of mod authors who are willing to accept losing deletions. Those authors will work with Nexus on how the system is implemented, how it affects the mod authors, how it affects the curators and the Collection users. There's lots to be discussed about how the system will work _while still accomplishing what Nexus wants to accomplish_.

That's why I say it will be those who stay who will be consulted. Because those who don't stay are demanding something Nexus won't give up. So there's nothing left to discuss with them.

It's not so much that those "Mod Authors who refuse to leave" will "Work with Nexus"

It just means those Mod Authors who refuse to leave because they were given an ultimatum to lose all of their download numbers, and GMAD membership, decide to keep that and must now COMPLY with THEIR Decision, and have no choice after the Ultimatum Deadline.

There is no "Working with the Nexus" for Mod Authors after August 5th, there is just "Uploading Mods to Nexus and watching them take Custody of your mods and not allowing you to remove them, while they make money from them and keep the right to distribute your mods for an eternity"

Assimilation

Honestly, I'm surprised that people are more angry at Mod Authors, than they are at the Nexus for raising membership prices, doing away with lifetime memberships, and driving off Mod Authors with their new policies.

my perspective based on the available informations so far. and i`m still trying to understand:

1. new tos was introduced hidden, not announced publicly in time

2. new system with resticted edit functions was introduced hidden, not announced publicly in time

3. announcement followed AFTER people asked questions to strange behavior of the new system, delete option was already cut

4. a five week ultimatum was introduced for mod authors not happy with the treatment by nexusmods, two options available:

a) accept the hidden/too late announced new tos and system change with the cut of basic edit functions and no option to participate in mod collection system or not.

b) nuke all of your mods and you are free to leave (changed after 3 weeks of discussion to nuke all mods you think to be deleted - too late for authors who already nuked)

5. new system and mod collections have never been widely or officially tested BEFORE new system with restricted options was finally introduced.

is this a new professional way or an appropriate method to intoduce a "new vision" with basic changes in system functionality ?

answer:

system integrator: no, not without valid test results and the prove that all necessary functions are integrated and are proved to work sufficiently.

community manager: no, not without proper communication into the community and without PROPER integration of all important contributors.

nexusmods: yes - it is our vision and we do not need to communicate this properly BEFORE and to act fully transparent and we do not need to talk to mod authors and to integrate them as the most important source of content. we have the power to just change the tos and tell all the people how important and ground breaking mod collections will be (for nexusmods and vortex) and that most gamers can not live without that in future as they did for decades before. we do not discuss the obvious problems with mod collections publicly before we begin to work with the new mod collections system.

Guest deleted34304850

i'm amazed that people still think they'll get a voice here.

look at the actual state of this - you don't get a voice. you don't get s#*!. they get everything. you're an irrelevance, all you do is provide mods for them to serve. that's the start and end of the relationship.

when the deadline goes past, and some mod authors leave, what happens?

nothing.

all these pages of absolute crap. people thinking their thoughts matter. what a joke. you're all deluded.

im just a bit disappointed, that nexus values "curators" more than MAs, because a good Modlist, is a modlist, which is always uptodate, but nexus wants to support lazy ppl, who just do a "collection" and never bother about it again?

But i have a other possibility in mind.

The assets of nexus are the mods, when the mods cant be deleted anymore, the value is set and cant rly decrease... i hope that im wrong, but we will see.

I think i will delete "my" files too, but im not sure yet... i dont rly like the way, nexus is handling MAs rn.