Trying to understand

MajorCyco

Perhaps instead of thinking like small children and assuming everything shared with them is theirs to keep now, people should understand that modders are sharing their work, not giving it away.

If you're given something, you own it, and should be rightfully miffed if the person who gave it to you then takes it back. But users don't own mods, they're using what has been shared with them by people who put in a lot of work making what's being shared. And as with anything else being shared, if the owner decides sharing time is over, it's their right to put away what was shared without those it was shared with throwing tantrums and calling names.

Well, you certainly have the right to view it that way. But that is typically how people respond to things being given or shared, and then taken back. Personally, as I have said, I am of the mind that you shouldn't bother sharing it in the first place with the community if you want to view it as something you later want to remove or take back.

I think it's become quite obvious Brabbit believes Nexus to be the only modding site on the entire internet, because it's clear they think if it's not here, it's been taken away from the world.

Do you not remember paid mods? Fairly certain there were quite a few mods removed and not placed anywhere else outside of those who were illegally distributing it. There have been many times in various modding communities where an author has pulled their mod not just from one website but all sites. So not sure how me pointing that out means I only think Nexus exists.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you keep going over and over the same points, going in circles, and circles, and circles, and circles. There's no progress being made here. This thread has been going for a month now, and nothing new has truly been said here. At this point I just gotta ask why dude?

Also, some friendly advice, when something like this goes on for so long long then:

tenor.gif

Pretty certain this is the first time I spoke about past events and what lead to many users having the view they do about mod authors. And that was only brought up by someone else, not even me. But ok.

But you keep going over and over the same points, going in circles, and circles, and circles, and circles. There's no progress being made here. This thread has been going for a month now, and nothing new has truly been said here. At this point I just gotta ask why dude?

Also, some friendly advice, when something like this goes on for so long long then:

tenor.gif

Pretty certain this is the first time I spoke about past events and what lead to many users having the view they do about mod authors. And that was only brought up by someone else, not even me. But ok.

How are you so good at missing the point of what someone is saying to you? Did someone train you in this art? Were you home schooled? I'll point it out in plain text. This has gone on for a month, with no end in sight. Nothing new of worth has been said. Let it go dude. This is just the same old back and forth.

Have we forgotten what a flame war is in 2021?

Has anyone checked to see how many MAs are intending to leave Nexus? Personally, I hope that not may of you make the decision to leave - for purely selfish reasons, which I will explain.

Although I am 71, I am not dead (yet :) ). I first became acquainted with computers in the early 1980s, when I was put in charge of a Data General Nova minicomputer at the typesetting firm I worked at. It was flying by seat-of-the-pants stuff back then. That initial experience piqued my interest in computing, and over the years I have had, roughly in order, Sinclair ZX81, BBC Micro, Commodore Amiga, and then PCs, starting with Windows 3.0 to my present PC running Windows 11 (I'm in the Windows Insider Programme). So, for well over two decades I've been using PCs running Windows, because early on I saw that the final contenders in the personal computer "wars" would be (what were then called) IBM-PC "clones" and Apple's various PCs, which culminated in a long line of Macintoshes. I'm definitely a creature of habit! And for all of the time that I've had a personal computer of one sort or another, I've also been a gamer, beginning with typing the code (usually Basic) for a game into a machine, to loading games from floppy disks to DVD ROMS, to downloading games via the internet. The latter almost exclusively from Steam, where I've been a member for longer than I care to remember. Steam is my "home" for games, and through Steam I discovered the joys of adding mods to games, and hence, Nexus became my "home" for mods. In both places, I feel comfortable; I am very familiar with them, and feel welcomed.

It pains me not a little to see what is happening here. I do agree that matters could have been handled much more judiciously, and perhaps still could be. I certainly hope so. I think that what many if not most MAs do is nothing short of remarkable, and deserving of respect, at the very least.

Whatever transpires in the coming weeks and months, my hope is that there will be an amicable resolution that is to everyone's satisfaction, realizing that this can only happen if we work together in good faith. Best regards to all.

Thank you for reading.

tenor.gif

How are you so good at missing the point of what someone is saying to you? Did someone train you in this art? Were you home schooled? I'll point it out in plain text. This has gone on for a month, with no end in sight. Nothing new of worth has been said. Let it go dude. This is just the same old back and forth.

I mean ...you are still here too .. are you not? I will say though. I do agree. Not much has progressed here at all. Not from any side really.

BTW as a side note, not sure I understand the home schooled joke/insult. I wasn't home schooled, but don't really get how that would apply to this if someone was. Is it like, the idea that someone may have been starved for social interaction and so they never learned to interact with people all that well?

If so, bullying pretty much does that too, as well as being grounded for 5 years straight. So I guess ... maybe you are right.

Has anyone checked to see how many MAs are intending to leave Nexus? Personally, I hope that not may of you make the decision to leave - for purely selfish reasons, which I will explain.

Although I am 71, I am not dead (yet :smile: ). I first became acquainted with computers in the early 1980s, when I was put in charge of a Data General Nova minicomputer at the typesetting firm I worked at. It was flying by seat-of-the-pants stuff back then. That initial experience piqued my interest in computing, and over the years I have had, roughly in order, Sinclair ZX81, BBC Micro, Commodore Amiga, and then PCs, starting with Windows 3.0 to my present PC running Windows 11 (I'm in the Windows Insider Programme). So, for well over two decades I've been using PCs running Windows, because early on I saw that the final contenders in the personal computer "wars" would be (what were then called) IBM-PC "clones" and Apple's various PCs, which culminated in a long line of Macintoshes. I'm definitely a creature of habit! And for all of the time that I've had a personal computer of one sort or another, I've also been a gamer, beginning with typing the code (usually Basic) for a game into a machine, to loading games from floppy disks to DVD ROMS, to downloading games via the internet. The latter almost exclusively from Steam, where I've been a member for longer than I care to remember. Steam is my "home" for games, and through Steam I discovered the joys of adding mods to games, and hence, Nexus became my "home" for mods. In both places, I feel comfortable; I am very familiar with them, and feel welcomed.

It pains me not a little to see what is happening here. I do agree that matters could have been handled much more judiciously, and perhaps still could be. I certainly hope so. I think that what many if not most MAs do is nothing short of remarkable, and deserving of respect, at the very least.

Whatever transpires in the coming weeks and months, my hope is that there will be an amicable resolution that is to everyone's satisfaction, realizing that this can only happen if we work together in good faith. Best regards to all.

Thank you for reading.

Thanks for your words! I saddens us too that we have to leave. But that's what it is. There other mod sites, and new will come. And our mods aren't lost. They are just somewhere else now.

<3

tenor.gif

I mean ...you are still here too .. are you not? I will say though. I do agree. Not much has progressed here at all. Not from any side really.

BTW as a side note, not sure I understand the home schooled joke/insult. I wasn't home schooled, but don't really get how that would apply to this if someone was. Is it like, the idea that someone may have been starved for social interaction and so they never learned to interact with people all that well?

If so, bullying pretty much does that too, as well as being grounded for 5 years straight. So I guess ... maybe you are right.

It was genuine question. I know people who were homeschooled, k to 12, and it messed them up bad.

Brabbit1987, on 02 Aug 2021 - 06:59 AM, said: "I mean ...you are still here too .. are you not?"

The difference is, we lost something, we are here because we wanted to cope here together, exchange about this. Can't you see why I say you lack empathy. We are here because we cope. Why are you here, to throw salt in the wound, oil in the fire. You just couldn't see in 100 pages that you simply missed the point of stopping to argue for once....ONCE....and let us be. It's anyway hard for us, hard for those who have to delete so much. Lost so much. So yes...what is YOUR reason to again and again throw your viewpoint at us. Seriously, what do you think does that good. There's your lack of empathy. You really think its nice to enter a thread with...you guys are all so patethic for still talking about this, and you simply missed the point, that we NEED TO COPE. And you belittled us. No empathy. Instead of being considerate and being like - ok, I dont belittle them and leave them alone, you seriously placed 50 pages now on every page what YOU think, how YOU feel, what YOU do.....

And not once have you stopped yourself and asked yourself - why are THEY here, why do THEY need to cope. Empathy means you can imagine how someone feels and what they struggle with and react considerate of it. It means, maybe not now AGAIN bomb people with our opinion, we anyway made super clear already.

You wonder why people get angry with you. Go back...read the over 100 pages and try to walk in those peoples shoes for once. Imagine how they feel and imagine what they went through in the last 4 weeks. Imagine what they lost.

And then read your first message again and through to your last. Empathy isn't something we switch on and off for topics or situations. It's there and it shapes how we react towards something. Your whole comments in the last 50+ pages show exactly zero empathy.

Why ARE you HERE in THIS thread! WHY!

4 days remaining and the more i see the names of two blind and toxic posters here, not aware what went wrong, destroying this thread without consequences while mod authors, just urged without reason fighting for their basic rights and trying to get back these basic rights, seem to be banned.

i don't know what has to happen that i wake up and this last month is not just a sort of a bad nexusmods dream or joke. can this be serious - a destroyed community as a result ? two years of planning mod collections and as a result a straight planned alienisation of mod authors who just know their rights and because you are unable to deliver a result with correct responsibilities and appropriate basic technical options for all who are involved ? that makes me sad. we all know that better solutions are possible even if responsibilties for mod collections are located at the the right place and not as a sole burden of mod authors, which makes no sense at all. whoever had that idea had a completely wrong and stupid idea because even with a very low level of empathy it is clear that you cannot treat mod authors like it happens here.

i feel - as a mod author - not guilty for anything but i lost basic functions for mod handling and rights.

and what about trust within the community here ?

even for a plain user the result is not satisfying. spreading mod collections without the best mods make not much sense - right ? and this will happen in future if the fist new site acting as an adequate home for modders (like nexusmods did in the past) will open its doors. my vision is that mod hoster, modders and users are all under one roof as one big community, feeling comfortable and respected. seems we lost this option in the last two month (or even before) due to a (misleaded) vision including a splitting core.

4 days remaining and the more i see the names of two blind and toxic posters here, not aware whats wrong, destroying this thread without consequences while mod authors, just urged without reason fighting for their basic rights and trying to get back these basic rights,

i don't know what has to happen that i wake up and this last month is not just a sort of a bad nexusmods dream or joke. can this be serious - nexusmods ? two years of planning mod collections and as result straight planned alienisation of mod authors who know their rights because you are unable to deliver a result with correct responsibilities and appropriate basic technical options for all who are involved ? that makes me sad. we all know that better solutions are possible even if responsibilties for mod collections are located at the the right place and not as a sole burden of mod authors. whoever had that idea had a completely wrong and stupid idea because even with a very low level of empathy it is clear that you cannot treat mod authors like it happens here.

i feel not guilty for anything but i lost basic functions for mod handling and rights and what about trust here ?

giphy.gif