Trying to understand

MajorCyco

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember it was people like you who crap all over mod authors that were doing that too. Piracy doesn't seem to be one of those things you'd be against based on your vigorous defense of Nexus' actions here.

Actually, I don't oppose the idea of paid mods at all. This was a case where I was entirely on the side of mod authors being able to make a living out of it. Though, I do understand that many users probably felt like if paid mods became big enough, there would be less freely available mods. So I get it, but I still think creators should be able to monetize their work if they want to.

Also, as for piracy, I don't really have a strong opinion on it one way or another. I don't do it, if that is what you are trying to imply.

Your entire line of argument about how one would be taking away mods from the entire community by removing them from Nexus. That suggests to me you literally think Nexus is the only mod site available.

I was specifically talking about cases where mods were removed everywhere, not just nexus. But suppose that is my fault for not clarifying that.

The irony is absolutely amazing. FYI, that is why the mod authors are up-in-arms about the change. They had the right to delete their mods and it was taken away.

On another note, if deleting mods will break the database, did the mod authors lose the right to block a user from their mods? Or will the blocked user be able to download an archived copy?

It's really not ironic since I agree mod authors should be able to delete their mods, and I have said that several times through this thread. The part many don't agree with me on is I think the delete function should only be possible to delete the entire mod, page and all. I understand why collections needs an archiving system for mods, it makes curating collections way more feasible. Without it, and you would just have a system with tons of problems and make it practically pointless.

But naa, I don't really see a good reason to prevent mod authors from deleting mods entirely.

I've read that thread from page 1 to 25 or so, so I don't know where the "discussion" went.

But I just wanted to show my support for the mod authors who are in disagreement with the recent changes of nexus policy. As my inner moral compass is of the opinion that one should be able to do whatever one wants with their own creations. Leaving the MA's in an IF/OR dilemma feels like extortion.

They should have the option to opt out!

They should hold their right regarding their IP to delete or hide if they so desire!

Premium users circumventing the mod's page, not even glimpsing or maybe even actually reading the description and sticky posts!

Compilations only for Vortex users. meh.. I get the technicality behind that restriction but there are better mod organizers out there with which I'm gonna stick. So no compilations for me I guess. (I'll be fine though)

Sneakily changing TOS.

I know this post won't change anything but i felt like putting my 2 cents out there and to all you beautiful mod authors out there a big thank you. I firmly believe that the majority of mod users like myself appreciate all your tears and sweats you put in your creations. It's the loudmouths you get to hear. Don't let these people get you down. And please know, if you decide to delete, migrate or stop modding altogether I believe most of us can understand given the circumstance. You made some of us very happy and enhanced our gaming experience. Again, thank you! And all the best to you all!

Compilations only for Vortex users. meh.. I get the technicality behind that restriction but there are better mod organizers out there with which I'm gonna stick. So no compilations for me I guess. (I'll be fine though)

BigBizKit said the API will be open, so other mod managers can implement the system if they want.

I've read that thread from page 1 to 25 or so, so I don't know where the "discussion" went.

But I just wanted to show my support for the mod authors who are in disagreement with the recent changes of nexus policy. As my inner moral compass is of the opinion that one should be able to do whatever one wants with their own creations. Leaving the MA's in an IF/OR dilemma feels like extortion.

They should hold their right regarding their IP to delete or hide if they so desire!

Premium users circumventing the mod's page, not even glimpsing or maybe even actually reading the description and sticky posts!

Sneakily changing TOS.

I know this post won't change anything but i felt like putting my 2 cents out there and to all you beautiful mod authors out there a big thank you. I firmly believe that the majority of mod users like myself appreciate all your tears and sweats you put in your creations. It's the loudmouths you get to hear. Don't let these people get you down. And please know, if you decide to delete, migrate or stop modding altogether I believe most of us can understand given the circumstance. You made some of us very happy and enhanced our gaming experience. Again, thank you! And all the best to you all!

https://tenor.com/view/yes-wink-gotcha-you-tube-thanks-gif-18551397

Sneakily changing TOS.

giphy.gif

ÃÃÂ

The devil is in the details.ÃÃÂ All the unknowns are making it much worse.ÃÃÂ I kinda feel that if they had rolled out an actual plan and how things would work, while some people still would not have been happy, I am sure some concerns would have been alleviated.

ÃÃÂ

Oh this so much! Like, what about hidden mods now. How can you add them to collections. Will there be a button, or can people still add the mod later on to collections, because they downloaded the mod as it was avaiable FOR them!ÃÃÂ

ÃÃÂ

I know a good MA who were hiding his mods now, but couldnt delete them. Because...he couldnt just delete the 8 years of his mod being here, and everything with it. UNDERSTANDABLE. But now...will that mod be able to be added? How does one add a mod to the collection?ÃÃÂ

ÃÃÂ

So when one downloaded that mod with vortex before hiding it, then vortex has that address and it can be added. But sometimes you hide mods because they are as well broken, and you gonna fix it, and then unhide.ÃÃÂ

ÃÃÂ

This function will as well cause a lot of harrassement towards MAs in a way, like, get thos collection, all mods from the MA that are hidden and deleted can be downloaded over here. And the MA can't do nothing about it.ÃÃÂ

ÃÃÂ

And I must say, too often MAs as well delete and go away from the modding scene because they get harassed and need a cut from this toxicity. Like...its sad, but the truth.ÃÃÂ

ÃÃÂ

My understanding - and I could be wrong but this is how it's been described to me - is that it doesn't matter if a mod is hidden or archived or anything else, if the Collection has the code or whatever it uses for that mod. And specifically, for whichever version of that mod it points to.

In theory as I understand it, if someone was making a Collection and had the identifying data for a given mod, they could add it to the Collection even if the mod itself was at that point hidden or archived.

I'd love for someone on staff who actually knows the answer to address this. As users/authors, until we actually see how Collections work (the fine details, not just the big picture), we really won't know for sure.

My assumption is, the mod has to be downloaded by vortexâæ.then you use an inbuild function of vortex to make the collection. What brings me to another point. I for example always manually download. I never ever use the mod manager button. So if people have a mod list set up by manual download, or switched back and forth, sometimes manual sometimes mod manager renders it impossible to âcollectâ that mod set up anyways.

Or when you had to reinstall a mod and then used manual optionâæ.what thenâæ

Another point is as well, mods that have a mod manager and a manual install process. Like the practically essential engine fixes SSE mod. Or SMAPI that needs a manual set up, in either way. That canât be achieved over a collection. Which renders collection for stardew valley impossible as well. Which anyway, SV is a candidate that doesnt work with old files at all. You canât use old files for SV, you always need the newest and updated mods for the newest SV. And nobody keeps their SV out of date, because updates actually always contain new content and actual fixes things.

Sighâæ.my brain hurtsâæ.

Edit: PLEASE can someone fix PMs and Forum on mobile before adding collectionsâ¦.PLEASE!

Before I sent my mod deletion request email I did some looking into using the API to confirm that my mods were actually deleted. I made a post in GMAD outlining the steps I took (unfortunately I won't be back home until September to get access to my text file copy of that step by step so I'm not able to repost it here right now).

The API only needs the mod number (e.g. one of mine was 49024) and the game (Oblivion for my mods) to confirm that the mod page is no longer accessible.

To confirm that a file is no longer accessible you also need a multi-digit code that I got for my own mods simply by downloading them (the API file ID is the string of numbers immediately before the .7z or .zip file extension). That API file number is what Wabbajack or the Nexus tool will use to access any hidden/archived file.

Unfortunately in my case I didn't have the final requirement needed to confirm that even the files from my now deleted mods are no longer API accessible ... another code required for the tool used to access the file (in my case I was using the API interface that you can access from any Nexus Mods page, as outlined in the GMAD post).

If anybody who still has GMAD access wanted to, that post could be copy/pasted here.

Dito. I'm more confused than before reading parts of this. The one thing that seems to pop up in my head is the whole freedom of association thing. Who are those mod list curators? Maybe someone can point me in the right direction or give me an answer. Let me give you an example:

Whenever I open up the main page for one of the Bethesda Games on Nexus, I'm almost always greeted by an overwhelming number of big breasted rubber doll girl mods. I don't really care and yes, I know I can block those, as I said, I don't care.

But if someone would make a serious mod about, I don't know, maybe a religious person, christian, islamic, you name it, let's say Mother Teresa. Now some mod list guy comes along, doesn't ask the mod author nor communicates with them, and makes a mod list that turns Mother Teresa into a big breasted rubber doll girl... the mod author can't say a thing? I don't know the rules about mods which have dependencies, could I just take a current mod on nexus, make my own with a dependency on said mod and the mod author of the original has no say in that (I know most authors don't care)? I know I could make a mod that "mocks" said example of a mod without a dependency, but that's not the point.

And if those mod list curators are official and paid people, why don't they have the time to, well, "curate" those mod lists? Meaning, they change them whenever a mod author deletes a mod? A middle ground could be a deadline, like you hit the delete button and it will come into action after three days, or something like that.

That being said, I can understand why someone would want to delete their mod, maybe to start from scratch or something like that. It's a reputation thing, too.

Guest deleted34304850

Dito. I'm more confused than before reading parts of this. The one thing that seems to pop up in my head is the whole freedom of association thing. Who are those mod list curators? Maybe someone can point me in the right direction or give me an answer. Let me give you an example:

Whenever I open up the main page for one of the Bethesda Games on Nexus, I'm almost always greeted by an overwhelming number of big breasted rubber doll girl mods. I don't really care and yes, I know I can block those, as I said, I don't care.

But if someone would make a serious mod about, I don't know, maybe a religious person, christian, islamic, you name it, let's say Mother Teresa. Now some mod list guy comes along, doesn't ask the mod author nor communicates with them, and makes a mod list that turns Mother Teresa into a big breasted rubber doll girl... the mod author can't say a thing? I don't know the rules about mods which have dependencies, could I just take a current mod on nexus, make my own with a dependency on said mod and the mod author of the original has no say in that (I know most authors don't care)? I know I could make a mod that "mocks" said example of a mod without a dependency, but that's not the point.

And if those mod list curators are official and paid people, why don't they have the time to, well, "curate" those mod lists? Meaning, they change them whenever a mod author deletes a mod? A middle ground could be a deadline, like you hit the delete button and it will come into action after three days, or something like that.

That being said, I can understand why someone would want to delete their mod, maybe to start from scratch or something like that. It's a reputation thing, too.

that wouldn't really work as a problem as the original mod of mother theresa would have been edited and changed (need mod author permissons to do that).

however, how it could go bad would be to put that mod in a list of mods that turn everyone else nude, put them all in a sex dungeon and so on and so forth. so the mod is associated, by being part of a list of mods in a collection with other mods that the mod author wouldn't want their mod associated with.

they could reach out to the person who created the list - and ask for their mod to be removed - but there's no copyright broken here, so they don't have a leg to stand on. ask away - but if the curator refuses - your mod is going to remain part of that collection and could be tainted 'by association'.

of course that's a rather extreme example - but this is the internet and these games have some seriously wrong headed mod authors out there. so never say it couldn't happen.