Trying to understand

MajorCyco

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/10250938-trying-to-understand/page-26&do=findComment&comment=96893138

@Neonsquare, thanks for digging out those comments by Robin. When were they made? This highlights the hypocrisy very effectively. It also makes me think that there is more to come. Why the sudden change, when at some point at least, Robin actually shared the same reservations about mod packs as most mod authors do now?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s pure comedy that he actually agrees with mod authors there in all points we raise - just to say now - we do it correct….I feel like watching Monty Python… O.o

If you read through that, the commercial consideration is clearly missing. That is exactly what has changed since then

This thread sickens me. I've enjoyed Skyrim more because of mods. Now mod authors are claiming Art and Intellectual Property rights that likely do not exist. You might as well have released these to the public domain.

Art? When you get a wall at the DMA you let me know. IP? Mods are glorified mix tapes. Good luck selling that in court.

As far as Nexusmods goes, I suspect they are within their rights to make sure mods remain accessible. Twitter? Yeah, they own your tweets. Facebook? Yup, they own your posts. Do not expect Nexusmods to self-immolate to assuage your fragile egos.

You need to educate yourself. Start here with Nexus' own words : https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/771842-copyright-and-you/

This highlights the hypocrisy very effectively. It also makes me think that there is more to come.

Indeed, it shows that they are fully aware they violate rights, and are willed to do so. Steps taken like that are pretty much always the sign - things will get worse. I am just glad nowadays itts so much more easier to make a blog or a small website, get yourself a MEGA, or if you have small mods, you can even use a free cloud storage. It's just sad that people really need to search around, or follow now all kinds of MAs on twitter, to get the mods. In the end, with this decision nobody won. Nexus lost credibility, trust, MAs and mods, premium subscribers. Maybe if this gets the atttention of e.g. the EU, they lose the ability to host their site over EU IPs. Users lose mods, MAs, the ability to find everything easy on one spot, and the MAs seriously lost the most here. Rights, a community, fun, respect, time, energy....

sigh....

Maybe if this gets the atttention of e.g. the EU, they lose the ability to host their site over EU IPs. Users lose mods, MAs, the ability to find everything easy on one spot, and the MAs seriously lost the most here. Rights, a community, fun, respect, time, energy....

sigh....

Regarding that, I have to disappoint you. I have already obtained information from a lawyer who specializes in EU Internet law. It may well be that the ToS is not ethically correct, but from a legal point of view it is unfortunately not against the GPDR. You would need to be able to provide evidence that the changes to the ToS were tacitly made and that could be difficult.

Â

Maybe if this gets the atttention of e.g. the EU, they lose the ability to host their site over EU IPs. Users lose mods, MAs, the ability to find everything easy on one spot, and the MAs seriously lost the most here. Rights, a community, fun, respect, time, energy....

Â

sigh....

Â

Regarding that, I have to disappoint you. I have already obtained information from a lawyer who specializes in EU Internet law. It may well be that the ToS is not ethically correct, but from a legal point of view it is unfortunately not against the GPDR. You would need to be able to provide evidence that the changes to the ToS were tacitly made and that would be difficult.

Yeah, I worried already this all falls under a grey zone, like so many things. I mean, I moved on. Just try to get my work done and forget about it. I am mainly atm heartbroken for others, who lose so much more than I do.

Yeah, I worried already this all falls under a grey zone, like so many things. I mean, I moved on. Just try to get my work done and forget about it. I am mainly atm heartbroken for others, who lose so much more than I do.

At first it broke my heart too, but now I can live with it quite well. I may have lost a lot, but I've also gained a lot.

Guest deleted34304850

fascinating archived information there - thank you very much for sharing it.

reading that, agreeing with the observations that were made - i wonder what changed that caused a complete 180 turn to the other side of the argument?

This thread sickens me. I've enjoyed Skyrim more because of mods. Now mod authors are claiming Art and Intellectual Property rights that likely do not exist. You might as well have released these to the public domain.

Art? When you get a wall at the DMA you let me know. IP? Mods are glorified mix tapes. Good luck selling that in court.

As far as Nexusmods goes, I suspect they are within their rights to make sure mods remain accessible. Twitter? Yeah, they own your tweets. Facebook? Yup, they own your posts. Do not expect Nexusmods to self-immolate to assuage your fragile egos.

You need to educate yourself. Start here with Nexus' own words : https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/771842-copyright-and-you/

He actually did make an effort to do so.

I owe several of you an apology. The DMCA says that you own what you post. I did not know that. That changes everything. I've spoken when I should have listened.

He posted that back on page 24, although I expect most of the folks he aimed that at, have already blocked seeing his posts.