Trying to understand

MajorCyco

You are totally missing the point. It has been explained to you multiple times, yet you still don't seem to get it.

You are basing your assumptions that anyone using a collection is going to look at ratings. Read the description, etc, when he already have DECADES of evidence that proves FAR too many folks DON'T. You are, quite simply, a lost cause. You go right ahead and play cheerleader for Nexus. Watch what happens.

Actually, I'm basing it on the assumption that anyone that wants the quick install experience of a Collection rather than looking through thousands of mods is also unlikely to look through hundreds of Collections. They will look through the first few pages, which will be the ones with the best ratings.

Did you miss the whole 'rating war' over on beth net? Folks would rate mods 1 star, just because. What makes you think it is going to be any different here? Please note, that rating system there ain't around any more. That, and ratings happen over a period of time. Initially, NONE of them are going to have many ratings, if any at all. And then, how many of the folks that like it are going to come back and rate it, vs how many folks DIDN'T like it?

The ratings system is waste of time, effort, and programming. That has already been demonstrated. I am rather surprised that Nexus is going to make one of the same mistakes bethnet did.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sinitar Gaming is the author of some popular. modding guides that some consider to be too promiscuous. I personally don't share the view, having discussed with the guy: he was ready to accept and correct an error about my mod.

Promiscuous.....hmmmm.

Axonis, what's on your mind, buddy....? :dance:

Sinitar is infamous for insisting that Skyrim LE is objectively superior to SE....

I really don't know anything about it. I left the Skyrim scene before SE became defacto. Actually I run from the Skyrim scene to avoid the tomatoes thrown at me from the angry Requiem crowd :laugh:

I'm just saying that I had a talk with Sinitar and I found him to be a nice guy.

The same goes for Wabbajack modpack authors, I found them to be nice girls & guys too -- I recently discussed the mod updates issue with them and they were actually great.

I believe mod authors and modpack maintainers can and will find a middle ground. Wabbajack works perfectly with files outside of Nexusmods which is great for competition.

Edited by axonis

You are totally missing the point. It has been explained to you multiple times, yet you still don't seem to get it.

You are basing your assumptions that anyone using a collection is going to look at ratings. Read the description, etc, when he already have DECADES of evidence that proves FAR too many folks DON'T. You are, quite simply, a lost cause. You go right ahead and play cheerleader for Nexus. Watch what happens.

Actually, I'm basing it on the assumption that anyone that wants the quick install experience of a Collection rather than looking through thousands of mods is also unlikely to look through hundreds of Collections. They will look through the first few pages, which will be the ones with the best ratings.

Did you miss the whole 'rating war' over on beth net? Folks would rate mods 1 star, just because. What makes you think it is going to be any different here? Please note, that rating system there ain't around any more. That, and ratings happen over a period of time. Initially, NONE of them are going to have many ratings, if any at all. And then, how many of the folks that like it are going to come back and rate it, vs how many folks DIDN'T like it?

The ratings system is waste of time, effort, and programming. That has already been demonstrated. I am rather surprised that Nexus is going to make one of the same mistakes bethnet did.

The Nexus used to have a Star Rating System, and Mod Users abused it (The Mod Author disagreed with me on the old Bethesda Forum, let's run to his mod pages and give him 1 star on everything, YES, this happened to me)

Then they switched to a Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down System, guess what? Mod Users abused it (This modder said something I don't like on Reddit, lets go give them a Thumbs down on all their Mods)

Then they switched so you couldn't rate a mod unless you downloaded it first, guess what happened?

And so on and so on...

Something I am realizing here is those who disagree with this change by Nexus don't want to go their separate ways, they just want Nexus to change their stance and essentially scrap the idea. In other words, I don't really think anything said by anyone for this change is going to matter because they already made their decision on the idea. To them it's bad, and no amount of explaining is going to change their view on that. And telling them to leave, they just take it like an insult, even if it's technically the most logical solution. They basically want it their way only.

Well, I am stumped. I am done trying. Sorry to all those who I upset during the process of trying to explain my view on this, wasn't my intent. But I am moving on now. I know that will make some of you happy lol.

Collection ratings just going to be manipulated by fake up or down votes anyways or by bad users. Rating systems are flawed. Bottom line.

Are the "hot files" sections manipulated to any degree? The staff are all over any attempts to do so. The problem at BethNet is that Bethesda never gave a damn what people did.

Something I am realizing here is those who disagree with this change by Nexus don't want to go their separate ways, they just want Nexus to change their stance and essentially scrap the idea. In other words, I don't really think anything said by anyone for this change is going to matter because they already made their decision on the idea. To them it's bad, and no amount of explaining is going to change their view on that. And telling them to leave, they just take it like an insult, even if it's technically the most logical solution. They basically want it their way only.

Well, I am stumped. I am done trying. Sorry to all those who I upset during the process of trying to explain my view on this, wasn't my intent. But I am moving on now. I know that will make some of you happy lol.

Most of us don't have a problem with collections, we have a problem with the way it was implemented. Any other mod list, and any other 'collection' tool for that matter, downloads the current, up to date version of a mod, and it is up to mod list (collection) authors to keep their list up to date, and ensure it is functioning properly. Now, along comes Nexus with 'version control', and they step on mod authors, so that any collection list will 'always work'.... (assuming it works in the first place....) So, the onus goes from mod list authors keeping their mods up to date, to mod authors no longer having control of their own work.

Then there is also the WAY this was implemented. ToS changed a while back, but, it wasn't until recently that authors discovered that they couldn't delete old versions any more. An author uploaded a couple mods, discovered they weren't the ones he actually wanted to uploaded, attempted to delete them, and discovered he could not..... When he requested they be deleted, he was denied. As it turns out, that change had happened more than a week earlier, with zero notification, and no discussion with mod authors on that change beforehand either. They DID discuss it with other 'tool' makers though...... So, you can begin to see why mod authors were a bit tweaked about the whole situation.

Several alternative options were offered, nexus staff didn't discuss any of them. They offered their ultimatum instead. Everything stays, or everything goes. They later walked that back a bit, and are now allowing selective deletions.

What it boils down to at this point though is, if you upload a mod to Nexus, you are essentially handing ownership to nexus. That doesn't sit well withe some (a lot of) folks.

Most of us don't have a problem with collections, we have a problem with the way it was implemented. Any other mod list, and any other 'collection' tool for that matter, downloads the current, up to date version of a mod, and it is up to mod list (collection) authors to keep their list up to date, and ensure it is functioning properly. Now, along comes Nexus with 'version control', and they step on mod authors, so that any collection list will 'always work'.... (assuming it works in the first place....) So, the onus goes from mod list authors keeping their mods up to date, to mod authors no longer having control of their own work.

Then there is also the WAY this was implemented. ToS changed a while back, but, it wasn't until recently that authors discovered that they couldn't delete old versions any more. An author uploaded a couple mods, discovered they weren't the ones he actually wanted to uploaded, attempted to delete them, and discovered he could not..... When he requested they be deleted, he was denied. As it turns out, that change had happened more than a week earlier, with zero notification, and no discussion with mod authors on that change beforehand either. They DID discuss it with other 'tool' makers though...... So, you can begin to see why mod authors were a bit tweaked about the whole situation.

Several alternative options were offered, nexus staff didn't discuss any of them. They offered their ultimatum instead. Everything stays, or everything goes. They later walked that back a bit, and are now allowing selective deletions.

What it boils down to at this point though is, if you upload a mod to Nexus, you are essentially handing ownership to nexus. That doesn't sit well withe some (a lot of) folks.

And with that, will come Stagnation as was mentioned in GMAD, and it will be the same old mods

Nexus will become the "Classic Rock Station" of mod collections.

Here's the Eagles with "Hotel California"

That there are mod authors who are willing to succede to this newest demand from Nexusmods honestly baffles me. That Robin Scott has become anti-author (by showing such a level of distrust via the secrecy) saddens me. That he's unwilling to take the time to actually create a back-end system that can handle when mod lists contain removed/deleted mods, triggering a notification to the mod list curator & automatically hiding said mod list until it's updated to remove the missing content - perplexed... they've had two years to figure this tish out without trampling all over the goodwill that they've earned from mod authors in the previous years; that's all gone to waste.

I don't like where this is heading, once you give up some control, it's only a matter of time before you'll end up losing more and more. Collections themselves are a reasonable idea as they would clearly benefit the time-starved obviously (no use for them myself) but this onging process to bring this feature to the site is so disdainful that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The implimentation of it all has been so poorly handled, underhanded & devious. Simply put, I don't trust Robin Scott or Nexusmods anymore.

I am very hesitant to respond but didn't expect someone to reply with something like this. And I just want to make this correction. Curseforge does collections where it most certainly does not just download the latest version. In fact, at least for minecraft that is a good way to end up with tons of problems because Minecraft itself works in the same way where you can play any version of the game you want. So that means, if you want to play 1.7.10 of minecraft and download mods for it, you would obviously need access to the older files. Plus, those who do make collections will sometimes use a previous version of a mod if they find a newer version introduces a bug that needs fixing or if an incompatibility is found with the newer version with another mod. When a user installs a mod list, it installs the version that was selected by the curator, not the latest version.

I understand most games don't work the same way minecraft does as most people typically play on the latest version. But Minecraft is probably one of the most modded games next to something like Skyrim, and wanted to point out that out to show that no ... not all collection tools or whatever work the way you are saying. Literally the only difference between Curseforge and Nexus' method is being able to fully delete a mod. In fact, going on one of my projects on curseforge right now at this very moment ... I can't even delete older files. I can only delete the entire project. Which to be honest, I would be fine with if they allowed that here and actually think they should.

But anyway, I just really wanted to respond to this specifically to make that correction. >.> Ehh I know I am going to get crap for responding again. But whatever, felt this was pretty important to clarify.

Edit: Also, something else is all those older files are viewable by the public. You can't even hide them.