No More Donations

WilsonBall

I suspect that donations are relatively rare. Maybe I'm a sucker. I don't mind paying for talented work. It is how I was raised. But for now, no more donations. I've given over $200 to 20 different authors and received exactly one thank-you. I am embarrassed for them at the thoughtlessness and for me at my naivete.

I can only speak for myself, and I have the ability to receive donations turned off in my profile, but what I find the most gratifying after I've helped somebody work through a problem is to see them reaching out to try to help others down the line.

My reason is twofold ... one is of course seeing the 'what goes around comes around' in action through them, but also my experience is that trying to solve problems leads to learning things that you may not have had a chance to learn otherwise.

Not wanting to lower the import of other ways to show appreciation, but those are the sort of things that get my attention and bring a smile.

To express my gratitude for work I enjoy I'd rather give a detailed description of what made a mod a good addition to my load order, and see if that leads to a discussion with the author regarding ideas (I would prefer to get an read on their reaction before offering unsolicited suggestions though).

My two cents (or maybe buck and a quarter) ... as always meant as something to ponder and not a 'you should' (who likes getting those).

I suspect that donations are relatively rare. Maybe I'm a sucker. I don't mind paying for talented work. It is how I was raised. But for now, no more donations. I've given over $200 to 20 different authors and received exactly one thank-you. I am embarrassed for them at the thoughtlessness and for me at my naivete.

I once donated NZ$50 (~US$35) to a mod author who has make significant contributions to this community and I wanted to recognise the effort. Mere days later I noted that the MA posted a passing comment that users don't donate to mod authors. When I reminded the MA that he had only recently received a reasonably significant donation and that it was counterproductive to say that users don't donate to MAs, the response I got was pure toxicity.

Suffice it to say, I'll never donate to that MA again and I've never donated to any MA since, which is not to say that I won't.

Guest deleted34304850

i am on a couple of mod author patreons and i like that as it "mostly" goes directly to the mod author.

*edited to remove idiotspeak*

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

i am on a couple of mod author patreons and i like that as it "mostly" goes directly to the mod author.

i'd never pay anything to this website to pass along because i have zero trust in this place any more. words <> actions.

Nexusmods says they do not take a dime out of donations. I have no reason to disbelieve them.

Guest deleted34304850

Nexusmods says they do not take a dime out of donations. I have no reason to disbelieve them.

Then stuff happened, and I looked on as trust was burned to the ground.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

i'd never pay anything to this website to pass along because i have zero trust in this place any more. words <> actions.

I know you're upset, but it's not really fair to make up conspiracy theories - especially when they're pure nonsense. You're not paying us to "pass it along", you're paying via PayPal directly into the PayPal account of the other user. PayPal may take a cut of your donation if there is a currency conversion or fees involved but we have no part in the transaction (I don't even know how you think that would be possible!).

PayPal donations go direct via PayPal. DP donations don't magically lose value. Premium memberships don't get cut short.

It's up to you how you choose to support authors, but please avoid spreading misinformation.

I know you're upset, but it's not really fair to make up conspiracy theories - especially when they're pure nonsense. You're not paying us to "pass it along", you're paying via PayPal directly into the PayPal account of the other user. PayPal may take a cut of your donation if there is a currency conversion or fees involved but we have no part in the transaction (I don't even know how you think that would be possible!).

PayPal donations go direct via PayPal. DP donations don't magically lose value. Premium memberships don't get cut short.

It's up to you how you choose to support authors, but please avoid spreading misinformation.

So your saying if someone such as myself or others requested nexus mod financial info we would be given it? Unedited full access to confirm where every cent goes that is sent in via the donatation to nexus mods?

You and your side keeps going don't spread misinformation don't spread conspiracy but the only way for that to happen is unedited unaltered full access and you guys are literally going "this is what we are going to show you" and keep everything else hidden. Show us all the cards or deal with folks going "we don't know what they are truly doing with everything but here is may take on it" and claims of DP not losing value is a big laugh. Not hard for the value of "digital" currency to have what ever # you want it to have when you guys are the ones that created it.

Edited by maxmanatarms