DDoS season begins, sites a little bit unstable

Dark0ne

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its times like this that I am unable to use the mod manager because I can't log in. My first instinct is WHAAAA!!!! QQ who can I b&@*$ at because now I have to do it manually... then I remember when I had to do them all manually... So on that note, crap sucks and people who do crappy things for the sake of doing it are the worst kind of people, but thanks for the site and great features, even when something goes down its an amazing network. Hopefully things go back to normal soon.

In response to post #8474043. #8474203, #8474208 are all replies on the same post.

Easiest example:

You enter nexusmods.com and the web servers return all the content for that page including images. So do I, so do 5000 other users... however this might occur over the course of 5 minutes.

A DDoS in its simplest form is getting 5000 computers to ask for the website 1000 times per second. Those 5000 computers aren't generally occupied by 5000 people, they're generally part of a botnet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet).

For more info, look up info on (but do not use) the Low Orbit Ion Cannon tool... it's a classic. (not to be confused with Star Wars or other Sci-Fi weaponry). Edited by Thranx

Yep today I can't reach server to manage my mods on my own system. I also became a supporter recently for a year. Lets give them a bit of time as I know first hand how hackers who have no life but to trash other peoples enjoyment can sometimes be a pain! Hang in there Nexus kick some hacker booty!

Shut the servers down for a day to a few days they are either being brazen over the PC versus console grudge which is ironic, or you are being bot net spammed for payment info. Either way they will get bored and stop. The best option in an argument with someone non-intelligent and unreasonable is to simply ignore them and not do or say anything "If it's weak either ignore it or kill it anything else honors it.", these individuals are weak minded and have no resources of their own............instead they try turning yours against you, so the best option is to take the objective away like a mother teaching her children, take the toy away. We will survive and understand for the health of the site, and your sanity. GL in whatever you decide.

"If it's weak either ignore it or kill it anything else honors it."

^--- Wouldn't taking down the Nexus for a few days do exactly that? I mean honoring it? They try to get the nexus down or at least as laggy as possible and shutting it down for a few days is like helping them reaching their goal...

Nevertheless I agree with the quote. We can't kill it since we don't know who it is, so we ignore it. When the nexus works, it works. If not, then there are lots of other things one could do. (e.g. some physical training, having fun with the family, watching One Piece :P) Getting angry or sad due to nexus not working is helping noone - do other things and be happy doing them. Ignore the wanna-be-hackers.

In response to post #8472887. #8473317, #8473437 are all replies on the same post.

You have a very limited understanding of the scope of viruses, then, if you think all of them boil down to "my_hot_sis.jpg.exe". Like someone else said, the ones that want to operate quietly will. You seem to think every virus is one of those amateurish "let's see how stupid people are" ones.