Mod authors should have made a master list of locations

hucker75

What you are suggesting is completely impractical since the list would 1) be huge, 2) rely on mod authors to keep it updated and 3) would require constant updating. As HadToRegister indicated, the information you need is generally found on the mod's description page. Be sure to read the whole page and take notes if you have to. Pay attention to requirements and known conflicting files -- you can not make the mod work properly if you don't learn those things.

A list of every cell in the commonwealth would not be impossible to do. In any relevant sections, an author would submit "my mod requires a door to be placed here". Another author would look there first and think "I'll use the adjacent building instead". Imagine you're an author about to make a new mod, do you really think it's feasible to read the description of every single mod to see if anyone has already used that door?

And from a player's point of view, no, authors do not always describe precisely what has been put where, in the interests of spoilers for a start. And lists of conflicts are only ones that happen to have been found during testing or from people trying it out.

It's difficult enough getting people to read a STICKY or a Mod Description.

Do you honestly think people are going to see a big long list and actually read it?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you are suggesting is completely impractical since the list would 1) be huge, 2) rely on mod authors to keep it updated and 3) would require constant updating. As HadToRegister indicated, the information you need is generally found on the mod's description page. Be sure to read the whole page and take notes if you have to. Pay attention to requirements and known conflicting files -- you can not make the mod work properly if you don't learn those things.

A list of every cell in the commonwealth would not be impossible to do. In any relevant sections, an author would submit "my mod requires a door to be placed here". Another author would look there first and think "I'll use the adjacent building instead". Imagine you're an author about to make a new mod, do you really think it's feasible to read the description of every single mod to see if anyone has already used that door?

And from a player's point of view, no, authors do not always describe precisely what has been put where, in the interests of spoilers for a start. And lists of conflicts are only ones that happen to have been found during testing or from people trying it out.

It's difficult enough getting people to read a STICKY or a Mod Description.

Do you honestly think people are going to see a big long list and actually read it?

Besides the impossibility to maintain it, yeah, the users who need it most, are least likely to use it.

As they most likely did already not:

- read the mod description on possible conflicts.

- bother to check themselves if mods they add might possibly cause conflicts. (like installing 2 mods, changing the same area)

Really, if anybody should create and maintain such list, its "YOU", the one adding all those different mods to your game. RTFM and such :sleep:

Anyway, perhaps Nexus could implement it in future for new games, ones that don't have mods yet.

Why is it the responsibility of the Nexus to do that? It's a hosting platform.

They already remove mods that break copyright etc, so they must be looking at each one. It wouldn't take much effort to require the author to provide a quick list of edits to the commonwealth, which they would then just paste on the end of a huge list which anyone can then search through with their browser's find command.

Imagine building a house without one electrician talking to another.

Most metaphors don't bear close comparison but this is verging on being totally incongruous. Most FO4 modders are not working on the same project for a start....

And I disagree with you that it's too late now. The FO4 modding scene is still vibrant and modders are still creating lots of content.

I think you're being needlessly fatalistic.

Actually it's very similar. The house is an analogy of the commonwealth. If one electrician alters some wiring, it affects another who is using those same wires, just as altering a door in the commonwealth breaks another mod that also does this.

For somebody who gets free content from other people that worked hard and unpaid hours you don't get to demand additional free work. Do it yourself

But this would benefit the mod authors. Before you're about to put something in a certain building in your new mod, you could check to see if anyone else has used that building. That way you create a mod guaranteed not to conflict.

My suggestion is a resource for modders, not users.

Guest deleted34304850

when people make analogies, such as comparing something to building a house, they so this because they literally have no understanding whatsoever of the issue at hand.

you *think* its like building a house.

it isn't.

at all.

not even close.

its just the limit of your understanding.

everyone who knows how this stuff actually works has told you, it's a non-starter. but you are welcome to take the first step to proving them wrong.

when people make analogies, such as comparing something to building a house, they so this because they literally have no understanding whatsoever of the issue at hand.

it isn't.

at all.

not even close.

everyone who knows how this stuff actually works has told you, it's a non-starter. but you are welcome to take the first step to proving them wrong.

You're reading too much into my analogy. I was just stating something else where a number of people work on the same thing. If a modder edits a cell, and so does another, and they don't communicate with each other, you get problems. If an electrician changes some wires, and so does another, those wires can no longer be guaranteed to work for both requirements. More accurately, change house to large commercial building.

it isn't.

at all.

not even close.

You're reading too much into my analogy. I was just stating something else where a number of people work on the same thing. If a modder edits a cell, and so does another, and they don't communicate with each other, you get problems. If an electrician changes some wires, and so does another, those wires can no longer be guaranteed to work for both requirements. More accurately, change house to large commercial building.

You got your answer, READ THE DESCRIPTION PAGE and any Stickies.

People won't even read those, but want a huge long list of Cells each mod edits to read?

That's laughable.

I've seen stickies that say "This mod is incompatible with Mod X"

And directly below the sticky, is someone asking "Is this mod compatible with Mod X?"

So, no, don't ask modders to bust their butts making something that isn't even needed, when a description page and stickies do just fine, and NO, a big long list won't help modders either, so stop trying to use that as a selling point.

Just put some effort in at your end, and everything works.

You want a list?

Then start downloading mods, load them up in Xedit, and make a list.

Then upload it.

Guest deleted34304850

it isn't.

at all.

not even close.

no i'm reading what you wrote.

this is nothing like building a house. nothing.

its an analogy that doesnt work.

okay, no - here's the analogy using your house model.

you have a house.

now divide that house into chunks each chunk 5mm square.

now build your house, but before you build it - you make a list of every 5mm square, so that when you put down the foundation, you update your list so all those 5mm squares are part of the foundation.

then do the same for the external walls.

then do the same for the internal drywall.

then do the same for the waterproofing on your floor, to keep it from getting wet. oh but wait, that collides with the foundation. no - its okay, i put the flooring in AFTER the foundation.

now do the same for the floorboards.

now do the same for the power/gas/water pipes - oh but wait, i have to check the foundation/floor/floorboards

repeat ad infinitum.

do you see now, why it doesn't work, using your own "build a house" analogy?