Mod authors should have made a master list of locations

hucker75

"I have not said it's not too late" agrees with "It's too late to do it now" - cancel the two nots.

Which makes your reply to my comment redundant. Kinda like this entire thread.

Imagine finding a huge library with no catalogues as to what books were put where.

No. I don't think I will. Simplistic analogies, which you seem to be rather adept at creating, ignore the inherent practical and technical issues.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said earlier, this idea has been around for at least fifteen years and has never been done because it is not needed and not a good idea. Nobody will ever have so many mods installed that the problem can't be fixed with patches, and anything that discourages people from modding how they want is bad for the hobby.

I have 150 mods, and many folk do. I have had several instances of a simple double use of one door. It could have been so easily avoided.

I cannot take on the task myself, neither can anyone else without a huge amount of work, because it wasn't done from the start as it should have been. Imagine finding a huge library with no catalogues as to what books were put where.

But that's EXACTLY what you're SOMEONE ELSE to do.

And like has been answered MANY TIMES.

REFID is used for a reason.

You keep coming up with suggestions that show that you don't know what you're talking about, while trying to pass it off as "EASY", but when you're told to do it, all of a sudden it becomes "IMPOSSIBLE" to do.

And NO, "Modders shouldn't have done it from the start as it should have been", because the amount of mods wasn't a problem.

Just please stop at this point, this is seriously going into Troll territory now

I asked why it wasn't done from the start. It would have been easy from the start.

So you're saying at the start nobody ever realised there would be thousands of mods by now? Lack of foresight there.

There must be an easy way of referring to a building. Start with the cell/area it's in.

I asked why it wasn't done from the start. It would have been easy from the start.

So you're saying at the start nobody ever realised there would be thousands of mods by now? Lack of foresight there.

There must be an easy way of referring to a building. Start with the cell/area it's in.

You have been told BY MODDERS that the Game uses RefIDs, that's how items are identified in the game.

YES buildings, doorways etc are in a CELL, but the individual items are referenced by REF IDs, hence the name "REF ID"

IT WASN'T NEEDED FROM THE START because there weren't a ton of mods that conflicted.

Now they do, and they way to deal with that is to READ THE DESCRIPTION PAGES AND TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHICH MODS YOU USE.

Simple as that.

Again, you keep insisting "There must be an easy way", yet the only effort I see you putting in, is to keep posting here instead of looking up, and posting actual solutions.

IT IS NOT EASY.

You start with the CELL, then you need to know if a specific door conflicts with a specific door in another mod, so now you need to dig deeper and do the REF ID of the Door.

What you're asking for is really ridiculous, because the average user not only WON'T use this fabled list, but most won't even know how to.

Just read the description page andthe Mod Author can tell you if it conflicts

It would require a massive searchable online database.

And then you'd need to enter hundreds of searches for each item in the mod.

You have no idea how impractical your suggestion is.

I agree. It wouldn't make any sense.

Edited by LarannKiar

As I said earlier, this idea has been around for at least fifteen years and has never been done because it is not needed and not a good idea. Nobody will ever have so many mods installed that the problem can't be fixed with patches, and anything that discourages people from modding how they want is bad for the hobby.

I have 150 mods, and many folk do. I have had several instances of a simple double use of one door. It could have been so easily avoided.

It could have easily been avoided by READING THE DESCRIPTION PAGES of those mods and see if they mention if their mod conflicts with another.

I have 386 mod installed for Skyrim SE, and I only have a handful of conflicts because the mods alter some of the same spells etc, WHICH IS TO BE EXPECTED.

It's up to you to find patches, or learn how to use Xedit and make your own patch, which is EASY TO DO.

Yes. BY MAKING A PATCH, NOT BY DICTATING WHERE PEOPLE CAN PLACE THEIR DOORS.

You have been told BY MODDERS that the Game uses RefIDs, that's how items are identified in the game.

YES buildings, doorways etc are in a CELL, but the individual items are referenced by REF IDs, hence the name "REF ID"

IT WASN'T NEEDED FROM THE START because there weren't a ton of mods that conflicted.

Now they do, and they way to deal with that is to READ THE DESCRIPTION PAGES AND TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHICH MODS YOU USE.

Simple as that.

Again, you keep insisting "There must be an easy way", yet the only effort I see you putting in, is to keep posting here instead of looking up, and posting actual solutions.

IT IS NOT EASY.

You start with the CELL, then you need to know if a specific door conflicts with a specific door in another mod, so now you need to dig deeper and do the REF ID of the Door.

What you're asking for is really ridiculous, because the average user not only WON'T use this fabled list, but most won't even know how to.

Just read the description page andthe Mod Author can tell you if it conflicts

It would require a massive searchable online database.

And then you'd need to enter hundreds of searches for each item in the mod.

But if you listed what cells your mod uses, then what was done under that using RefIDs it would be very easy for another modder to come along and find the handful of mods editing the cell they want to adjust, and see what they can do without causing conflicts. In fact you don't even need the cell. Say I wanted to edit a door in a building, and I have a RefID for what I'm going to adjust. I could just search the list for that RefID. I find your mod already uses it. I consider it likely people will want to use my mod and yours snice they're both similar sorts of quest mods for example. I consider increasing my audience by using another building.

It wasn't needed AT the start, but it was needed FROM the start. It's like building a 4 lane freeway knowing that in 5 years you'll need 8 lanes.

LOOT is exactly what your looking for, it even sorts .esps in an efficent manner. It's far from perfect of course

I have LOOT, that doesn't solve conflicts of doors. It just puts things in the most sensible order to load.