Microsoft .NET - Check Failed (Vortex 1.6.7)

abysswalkersoul

Hello!

I'm having the same issues as tcutchi, with the dotnet being installed in D:/ProgramFiles and Vortex unable to find it (or so it seems).

I tried to follow the instructions on how to add permissions via the folder, Properties and Security tab, but I do not have a 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' category to add, nor any category with that double page symbol that has.

All I have are the symbols with the two stylized people titled "Authenticated Users" "SYSTEM", "Admin" and "User" that is also shown in tcutchi's screenshot, below the 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' category.

Do I need to create the 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' category, and if so, how do I make sure it adds the right permissions and/or paths for Vortex to find the right path to the D:/ProgramFiles folder?

Edited by suntiger745

Hello!

I'm having the same issues as tcutchi, with the dotnet being installed in D:/ProgramFiles and Vortex unable to find it (or so it seems).

I tried to follow the instructions on how to add permissions via the folder, Properties and Security tab, but I do not have a 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' category to add, nor any category with that double page symbol that has.

All I have are the symbols with the two stylized people titled "Authenticated Users" "SYSTEM", "Admin" and "User" that is also shown in tcutchi's screenshot, below the 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' category.

Do I need to create the 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' category, and if so, how do I make sure it adds the right permissions and/or paths for Vortex to find the right path to the D:/ProgramFiles folder?

Do you see ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES when you look at the properties for C:/Program files?

What version of Windows are you on?

Keep in mind there is no list to choose from, as I wrote you will need to type that in after clicking Add, and using Check Names to confirm.

There is a way to force .NET to install to the C drive, but it involves a registry edit, which if done incorrectly can cause severe issues as you would be changing what Windows considers the "main" Program Files location back to C, and then installing .NET. I've had to change it temporarily to address a different but possibly related issue with another program.

Do you see ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES when you look at the properties for C:/Program files?

Keep in mind there is no list to choose from, as I wrote you will need to type that in after clicking Add, and using Check Names to confirm.

There is a way to force .NET to install to the C drive, but it involves a registry edit, which if done incorrectly can cause severe issues as you would be changing what Windows considers the "main" Program Files location back to C, and then installing .NET. I've had to change it temporarily to address a different but possibly related issue with another program.

I have Windows 10 Home (OS version 19043.1889 if that is relevant).

I do see ALL APPLICATIONS PACKAGES when I look at Properties for C:/Program

I do not see it when I look at Properties for D:/Program files.

And it seems that solved it. Because my OS isn't in english, I couldn't just write ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES in the window because that isn't the name in my OS, and without it appearing in the Properties list I didn't know what the local version was called.

Since it did appear in the list for C:/Program's Properties list though, I could type that and add it for D:/Program files.

Opened Vortex and tried to install the mod I was trying to add yesterday, and it worked.

Thank you for the help and guidance. :)

vortex never had to download the .net until recently and the only negative effect i have noticed is i cannot access enb helper in fallout 4. this did not start happening until vortex autos the.net when i already have it. just to reiterate

Take a little read of the post before yours (and the pinned answer) for how to fix your system setup.

I have Windows 10 Home (OS version 19043.1889 if that is relevant).

I do see ALL APPLICATIONS PACKAGES when I look at Properties for C:/Program

I do not see it when I look at Properties for D:/Program files.

And it seems that solved it. Because my OS isn't in english, I couldn't just write ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES in the window because that isn't the name in my OS, and without it appearing in the Properties list I didn't know what the local version was called.

Since it did appear in the list for C:/Program's Properties list though, I could type that and add it for D:/Program files.

Opened Vortex and tried to install the mod I was trying to add yesterday, and it worked.

Thank you for the help and guidance. :smile:

No problem! I'll also update my original post with a note for non English versions of Windows.

Hi, I'm having .NET issues as well after updating, but I'm seeing a different window:

attachicon.gif Vortex_2022-08-17_07-36-07.png

I've tried both links and the CMD Repair method with no change. Reverting Vortex to 1.5.13 works.

If it helps, here is my dotnet --info:

attachicon.gif DotNet CMD.png

Edit: Disabling Sandbox in Settings did fix it, but my Program Files security window matches the screenshot above:

attachicon.gif explorer_2022-08-17_07-44-32.png

Not sure what the issue is...

EDIT #2 - Figured it out.

I have my default install path set to my E drive (via the registry), so DotNet was installing to E:\Program Files instead of C:\Proram Files. I had to add "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" and the aforementioned permissions, and now the error is gone without the workaround in place.

Leaving this here in case it helps someone else with this very specific issue. :smile:

Can you elaborate on how you were able to do this? Because the only thing working for me is disabling the sandbox, and my Program Files Properties are the same in the previous post. Still getting the access denied thing with certain mods just not installing. So far this thread is the only thing that has gotten me anywhere.

Sure. Open a Command Prompt window, and type "dotnet --info". This should list the runtimes you have installed and their locations, hopefully all in a single Program Files folder. You can see this in my second screenshot above.

Next, find that Program Files folder (in my case, E:\Program Files), right click on it, Properties, Security tab.

Click on Advanced, then Change Permissions on the new window that opens. Click on Add, then Select a Principal, and type "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" into the bottom box. Then Check Names to confirm it's typed correctly. Click ok, and it'll return to that previous window. Make sure to hit Apply here before hitting Ok. It'll apply the change to everything in that folder, though some items may fail, which is fine.

Hopefully this screenshot explains the process well enough (ignore the fact that there's 2 locations, I just had to open a couple Properties windows to get it all in one shot).

In case someone reads this that's using a non-English version of Windows, yours may not be called "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES". Look at the Properties > Security tab for C:\Program Files. and copy the name from there in that case.

attachicon.gif Add Folder Permissions.png

I made it through this process, but I get a Windows Security message that says "Unable to save permission changes on Program Files. Access is denied." Any advice?

Please don't assume all users of Vortex have a degree in computer science. I can't figure out all those technical details and why Vortex has stopped working all of a sudden. After trying the dotnet update all I can do is exit Vortex. I'm unable to access sandboxing or whatever, Vortex won't run without that dotnet.

Please don't assume all users of Vortex have a degree in computer science. I can't figure out all those technical details and why Vortex has stopped working all of a sudden. After trying the dotnet update all I can do is exit Vortex. I'm unable to access sandboxing or whatever, Vortex won't run without that dotnet.

Vortex won't run at all for you? I haven't had any issues with the latest version, but my instructions would only be relevant if, at some point, the Program Files location was changed (which would most likely have been done knowingly and explicitly by the user). If you don't know what that means, it's probably not the cause of the issue you are facing.

Please provide screenshots of what you are seeing and I will try to help you further. If you've already followed the instructions in the pinned answer (downloading and installing DotNET), then follow mine to see where it is actually installed.

Also, Sandbox is simply a setting within Vortex, and it's enabled by default. To toggle, open Vortex, go to Settings > Workarounds.