⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Beards

StormWolf01

What stirred your interest in beards?

I can guarantee that not shaving "isn't a good excuse to grow a beard". The skin can get real dry under a thick full beard. And loose skin that normally falls off so the upper layer is always new gets packed on top of the new skin. That skin we call dust when we see flakes of it floating around in a sunbeam can get thick under the beard's mat. If not washed and treated properly makes it real easy to scratch off some under a finger nail. That dead skin can then be scratched off down deep because the epidermis is too loose and very soft where we scrape at the thick dead skin.

Thus leaving permanent red streaks in your flesh you don't even know are there until you decide to shave the beard off.

It's like our face turns to wax. Then scraping at it with a fingernail to remove a little dry skin goes deep into the second layer beneath the epidermis. If not treated it leaves a red streak that may never go away after it heals. And it'a all the fault of not cleaning out the dried flesh that feels more like wax when a fingernail digs into it routinely. Just wash it when you wash your head of, bald or not, wash your beard when you wash your hair anywhere. And don't leave it to get dry. Some beard oil is necessary for thick matted beards to keep the beard hair healthy.

My husband has a smallish beard and stash...all connected but not extending a bunch on the face. Sure there is a name for it but I don't know what. I'd freak if he shaved it. But I am so over the long-arsed Viking beards or wooly mountain man ones. Unless your going to like braid that ish then shave/trim it already.

No really, that's a personal preference. You guys can do whatever to your face as long as it's OK for me to no longer shave anywhere, pluck my eyebrows so they don't grown into a unibrow or care I have 2 inches of roots of black hair in my blue....and maybe I'm starting to grow hair in places I didn't when I was 20.

Gravity is not the only enemy women face.

But yeah, joking....or am I?

I spent eight years shaving twice a day. For the Corps in the morning, and for the ladies in the evening. When I got out, I swore never again. Haven't shaved since 1976.

I shampoo my beard when I shampoo my hair and I keep it trimmed fairly short. Well, except after the Autumnal Equinox when I let if grow out so I have a nice full beard when wearing my Santa suit and taking gifts to the kids in hospitals.

Fun bit, if I wear the Santa suit into the barber shop, my barber gives me a free haircut and trim/shaping on the beard. I just have to sit for a couple pictures showing that he and his shop are the folks that keep Santa looking nice and neat. Everyone in his shop also donates to buy gifts for the kids and he keeps a ding jar and my picture by the register.

Depends weather or not you find it attractive or fashionable. I have a beard because I look better in one, and I take good care of it. I shower every day and make a habit of using both shampoo and conditioner. It feels quite nice when it's soft, and my girlfriend is into beards so she doesn't want me to shave it either. I do trim/style it up a bit every once in a while and when I go to the barber he really trims it and fashions it. Some people don't like beards, some do. It's a preference thing.

All really good answers, liking it, please... keep them coming!

Pagafyr - No real interest really. I was just watching a lot of youtube, and noticed that so many of the guys that do the vids all had beards. Sparked a thought, and figured it would give us something that we could talk about that wasn't political :D

HY - In one aspect, I hated having Native blood, because I could NOT grow a goatee in high school. Now, I only have to shave my face once a week, and throat maybe twice a week. So I stopped complaining about it! :laugh:

maybe I'm starting to grow hair in places I didn't when I was 20.

:laugh: I think too many of us can relate to THAT one, Lisn!

Hey! That sparked a thought! Maybe that's why old men like to grow beards! To hide that they can't shave off their ear hairs!! :laugh:

Scythe - That is really, really awesome about the Santa suit. Way to bring in your local community!

Skagens - agreed, it's a preference. Totally.

I trim my goat up when it starts getting unruly. Tho, the 'stache gets hit a LOT more often. Don't like that tickle on my lip!

Pagafyr - No real interest really. I was just watching a lot of youtube, and noticed that so many of the guys that do the vids all had beards. Sparked a thought, and figured it would give us something that we could talk about that wasn't political :D

HY - In one aspect, I hated having Native blood, because I could NOT grow a goatee in high school. Now, I only have to shave my face once a week, and throat maybe twice a week. So I stopped complaining about it! :laugh:

Hey! That sparked a thought! Maybe that's why old men like to grow beards! To hide that they can't shave off their ear hairs!! :laugh:

Scythe - That is really, really awesome about the Santa suit. Way to bring in your local community!

I trim my goat up when it starts getting unruly. Tho, the 'stache gets hit a LOT more often. Don't like that tickle on my lip!

I didn't have to shave at all, until I joined the Air Force, and they made me shave every day...... before that, my 'beard' didn't grow at all. I am blond, with rather fine hair.... (at least, it was back then....) but even today, my beard grows in rather patchy. I don't really care, as I don't generally interact with the public at work, and those that I do, are well aware that I am at least a little 'eccentric'..... :D But, I am VERY good at what I do, so they love me anyway. :D

I didn't have to shave at all, until I joined the Air Force, and they made me shave every day...... before that, my 'beard' didn't grow at all. I am blond, with rather fine hair.... (at least, it was back then....) but even today, my beard grows in rather patchy. I don't really care, as I don't generally interact with the public at work, and those that I do, are well aware that I am at least a little 'eccentric'..... :D But, I am VERY good at what I do, so they love me anyway. :D

HeyYou! Didn't I see you post once that you are one of the people who is enjoying every minute of your insanity? Or was that Lisn?

My present beard is over a foot in length down from my chin. It's a thick bristle type and easy to get dirty, gathers dust like a magnet, and is a good place to hide small foil covered snacks under.

My self... After saying that; I don't suffer from Insanity, I am enjoying every minute of it I do the music from LOVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT. That's my way of doing it.