Thoughts on Fallout Texture Mods

Moksha8088

Texture mods that clean and renew would get more downloads than ones that increase dilapidation and rust. My favorite settlement in the Commonwealth is Sanctuary with a restoration mod. Seems Codsworth was busy restoring for over 200 years.

"Make it newer and they will download."

texture mods have many different purposes. their same goal is to optimize the appearance of an object surface. it makes sense to read the description before download. if they fit your needs or wishes and you like the presentation just try them if you own a capable mod manager. don't forget to check the comments and bug reports.i would say 80 to 90% of the listed tex mods offer redundant content but different texture size and quality. with the wrong ini settings a high res texture probably will not work as intended. most fo4 textures contain mipmaps to work properly, efficiently and seamlessly. used on a potato rig with low vram it can contribute to an overall loss of fps, especially if they do not contain mipmaps to optimize visual quality and vram usage.

• 1 month later...

Eventually, I will turn my head and be looking to assemble "a collection" for myself to make as nearly a fully restored environment as is available.

This would be separated from "regular" gameplay though.

What is actually missing is a mechanism in build mode to swap textures live in-game. :woot:

As I've seen from Creation Kit vids it's not too complicated in there.

Bethesda didn't put it in for a lack of understanding the point of "build mode" since the whole apparatus was thrown-in willy-nilly,

and no one has ported the CK capability into the game yet, AFAIK.

Similar capability already works with armor and weapons... So we know something like that can be done.
Although live props and precombines may be problematic it shouldn't be impossible to work something out for the clever people here. :cool:

The only things that don't make sense to me in this game:

1) Ground level trash all over the place in an inhabited location (aka Diamond City).

2) People using rusty weapons.

Beyond that everything is fair game.

Pitted (but cleaned) weapons are one thing, but the whole "rusty look"?

Eventually, I will turn my head and be looking to assemble "a collection" for myself to make as nearly a fully restored environment as is available.

This would be separated from "regular" gameplay though.

What is actually missing is a mechanism in build mode to swap textures live in-game. :woot:

As I've seen from Creation Kit vids it's not too complicated in there.

Bethesda didn't put it in for a lack of understanding the point of "build mode" since the whole apparatus was thrown-in willy-nilly,

and no one has ported the CK capability into the game yet, AFAIK.

Similar capability already works with armor and weapons... So we know something like that can be done.

Although live props and precombines may be problematic it shouldn't be impossible to work something out for the clever people here. :cool:

You'd have to be able to generate LOD's in the middle of playing a game to make that not be one big immersive eyesore (fully fleshed out settlement - but looks like garbage from down the street).

You'd have to be able to generate LOD's in the middle of playing a game to make that not be one big immersive eyesore (fully fleshed out settlement - but looks like garbage from down the street).

Hmm... :unsure:

I'm not convinced.

Its a texture, it has mip maps (unless I've had a hand at it). :devil:

Created from the workshop it would be as it was made regardless.

Menus would have to have a framework to add a level with texture options.

Category->Object->Object texture1,Object Texture2,

Modified over Vanilla, it's still just the texture, not the model itself, the LOD model is persistent, (just guessing the texture could be swapped).

Aside: Am thinking of; way back when, the Sims 2 (c.2005) had a third party mod called CEPP or something that added texture and tint swaps similarly.

Unless I'm missing something. :confused:

The only things that don't make sense to me in this game:

1) Ground level trash all over the place in an inhabited location (aka Diamond City).

2) People using rusty weapons.

Beyond that everything is fair game.

Pitted (but cleaned) weapons are one thing, but the whole "rusty look"?

Those are amongst the least problematic.

Remove the 'garbageman' from ant city and they will look like that in no time.

& even today's 2nd army in the world Ukraine uses rusty weapons.

Not as unrealistic as dead fauna, irradiated water, rad storms & (dirty) people (still) living in makeshift huts after 210 years, to just name a few.

When it comes to textures: I suspect (hope) there will be a bunch of new stuff coming with the announced update. Maybe some changes (new options) for the engine too. I would call it mandatory for a 'next gen. update', but I'm not Bethesda.

Edited by RoNin1971

I like the worn out look, but I can't deal with the idea that a post-apocalyptic society has lost the ability to line two boards up next to each other and push them as tight as possible before nailing them in. Why does every design consist of randomly oriented boards nailed haphazardly with huge gaps between them?