Why is it Vortex has profile management and I have it enabled but yet it deletes everything from all profiles globally.

Drogull420

I'm so PO! Spent weeks learning to mod Skyrim and made a new profile to compare my results for load orders. All mods are on the new profile but disabled so I enable the mods I need for the base collection. I run deploy and it deletes everything from my pc for all the optional mods on my other profile that I installed and worked on for weeks. Yes I have my profiles set to have separate saves and settings also. So I guess I lost my game that I had 100's of hours on also because from what I understand it will be corrupted no matter what now. Is there something I missed somewhere about profile management it says you can manage several profiles for several users on a machine with different mods game settings and switch quickly between them from what I understood?

Just for example, I have 19 Skyrim SE profiles. I switch between them all the time.

One is named Default, that I always clone when I want to start a new Profile. It has the mods I use on every Profile.

The rest differ by the "Theme" of the mods I install.

Keep in mind, Vortex never actually copies mods to the Data directory. Typically I add no more than a dozen unique mods to my Default set.

Your mods always live in the Mod Staging Directory, and a Hard Link to each enabled mod is made in the Data directory when you Deploy.

All Purge does is remove those hard links. And nothing is going to corrupt your mods.

i'm using mo2 profiles while just activating and deactivating the mod in the different profiles. i see always all installed mods in all profiles (activated or deactivated, depending on the profile). good and important info for me to be prepared in case i try vortex and not to ruin vortex profiles without testing or due to lack of awareness..

We have 15 Vortex profiles with their own player-characters and save games.

Our first one is named "Skyrim Default" and has only the base game, update, and DLC installed. We have not played this profile, we simply use it as a base, to clone, so we can test mods one by one, if we need to. Thus it has no player-characters created; and it has no games saved.

Whenever we want to try a new mod, we clone this default profile, name it according to the new mod, install the new mod, and then enable the new mod in the profile with Vortex, and start a play-through to see how the new Mod works, solo, without influence from any other mods.

If we like the new mod, we will next clone our latest profile 15 add the newest mod to our mini-massive-mod-enabled Vortex Skyrim SE profile as no. 16 and transfer our character and save games to the new profile. You are not "supposed" to add new mods when doing a play-through, but we have not really had an issue doing it this way. What we do is load our existing save, after adding the new mod, and wait about a minute without doing any game-play and then save. We can also go into Race Menu, tweak our character, and make a new Save no. 1 while preserving our overall Skyrim-game progress.

++

Our second Skyrim SE Vortex profile is named "Default Two," with the same settings as "Default." On this one, we played Skyrim SE all the way through with NO Mods at all, and it has its own character and saved games.

Our current profile 15 has our forty favorite mods installed, and we in it use eight different characters, (Tweaked same-character with Race-Menu) depending on the saves in the Skyrim-Menu Load Window. Our other favorite profile no. 14 has a different set of mods enabled, so we (two of us play on the same PC) go back and forth between profiles and get a different environmental look, and different quests, linked with Quest-Mods.

We are currently playing Skyrim on both Profiles 14 and 15, and each Vortex Profile runs only the Mods enabled on that profile. Any mods not enabled will not show up in game in either profile. And thus, disabled mods do not appear in our games or in our saves for that profile.

Some experienced Vortex users run between 200 and 300 mods on one Vortex profile and go back and forth between profiles in gameplay to enjoy different Mods as we do above.

We have not found that many mods to add and use and for which to manage possible conflicts for with Vortex--yet. Hope our overview helps??

Edited by Gorgopis

Multiple profiles? Yes, Deleted mods? No. I have fourteen profiles spread across Skyrim SE, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, and Fallout 4. Some are for cloning, some for testing, and some for different player characters and themes. These profiles work flawlessly.