ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Bethesda.net Mods is revising its port rules, we would like your feedback.

Cartogriffi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this rules change would be onerous for older mods, what if it only applied to newer ones?

1.before publishing X mod, give the users the option to check the box "I am allowed to port X mod" and upload prove of approval, e.g. screenshot

2. X mod get published, but the status will be pending for approval.
3. have actual human to go over the prove of approval, if deny, hide or remove the X mod.

They were trying to relieve moderation workload, not add more of it.

oops...i guess just maybe consider number one then.
that way, at least you are giving user the option to prove and store its legality on bnet and lessen the need of bnet moderation team to chase around different parties for verification...I think? :sad:

Separate from the rules change, we are looking at adding specific fields for ports where uploaders put in the original author's name along with a link to the mod. Experienced porters do this, but a lot of new porters do not, and we think this will bump them in the right direction.

Elianora is correct, a solution that adds much more work to staff isn't viable. Something which adds a little internal work, but removes the need for Moderation

Older mods may or may not have permissions set, and the authors are no longer around, so, the default answer to porting them is "No." For those that do have fairly open permissions, it's a non-issue..... for those that you need to get specific permission to port their mod, just putting a sticky post in the mod comments I would expect would be adequate to the task. (and not much of an ordeal for the author either.) Having comments turned off really isn't a barrier, as an author can enable them, post the permission, then disable them again, and the comment still stays visible. I closed comments on a mod I am caretaker for, but, the thread is still there, as are all the comments.

Wouldn't that work??

Bethesda is company full of lies and mistrust

requiring special approval to make a mod is something only bethesda can came up with

i don't think anybody should be corcerned with such basic thing like keeping this oversold dying games alive under artificial laws of corporation

They can always NOT let us mod the game and they would be in their legal right to do so IF they wanted.

Please they are asking for feedback and solutions, if you are not bringing anything to the table you should refrain, they asked for feedback to better permission systems for modders and porting mods for the games, not rants and complaints about a company. :dry:

Bethesda is company full of lies and mistrust

requiring special approval to make a mod is something only bethesda can came up with

i don't think anybody should be corcerned with such basic thing like keeping this oversold dying games alive under artificial laws of corporation

They can always NOT let us mod the game and they would be in their legal right to do so IF they wanted.

Please they are asking for feedback and solutions, if you are not bringing anything to the table you should refrain, they asked for feedback to better permission systems for modders and porting mods for the games, not rants and complaints about a company. :dry:

Not to mention Beth isn't doing anything to prevent folks from making mods....... :D

Older mods may or may not have permissions set, and the authors are no longer around, so, the default answer to porting them is "No." For those that do have fairly open permissions, it's a non-issue..... for those that you need to get specific permission to port their mod, just putting a sticky post in the mod comments I would expect would be adequate to the task. (and not much of an ordeal for the author either.) Having comments turned off really isn't a barrier, as an author can enable them, post the permission, then disable them again, and the comment still stays visible. I closed comments on a mod I am caretaker for, but, the thread is still there, as are all the comments.

Wouldn't that work??

I will admit, when I first brought this proposal to closed groups I wasn't expecting much resistance. I figured folks who mainly operate on Discord would find it annoying, but I hadn't anticipated much pushback from folks active on Nexus. But this does make me very happy to have asked.

For what it's worth, of the authors we've talked to who let their content be ported to Bethesda.net, most have supported the change. They're not necessarily happy about the proposal, but find it a reasonable tradeoff for improved transparency.

While support may not be enthusiastic, it's enough I feel like we could implement the proposal and have a net positive. But we aren't in a rush, and I expect we'll be collecting feedback for the remainder of October. Hopefully we can find something that achieves our goals while minimizing complaints.

For the purposes of Nexus (since this is a Nexus forum topic), there's a relatively simple solution here that doesn't require a mod author to enable PMs, open comments, or respond in any way. Use the "Additional permission instructions" section in the Permissions menu to include information saying you've given X permission to port your mod to XBox or PS. That's a publicly visible drop down on the mod's main page that will make it clear what's been granted, and that will also be archived by archive.org. So that should remain visible even if a mod's page is removed from the site later for some reason.

Obviously the problem goes away for anyone here who also uploads their mods for consoles, like me. Generally speaking, so long as your mod doesn't require SKSE to operate, it will function identically on XBox.

For the purposes of Nexus (since this is a Nexus forum topic), there's a relatively simple solution here that doesn't require a mod author to enable PMs, open comments, or respond in any way. Use the "Additional permission instructions" section in the Permissions menu to include information saying you've given X permission to port your mod to XBox or PS. That's a publicly visible drop down on the mod's main page that will make it clear what's been granted, and that will also be archived by archive.org. So that should remain visible even if a mod's page is removed from the site later for some reason.

I think this is the best idea. It would make the whole process very simple. Bethesda could just check if the permissions are right and then go on with porting the mod. With credit given to the original authors, of course.

--

I don't think this is a good idea. Not fair to people who work hard to get permission. Please im just a player for skyrim over a decade. Don't switch to that. I just now got permission to get a modder to port a mod I wanting. This stupid changing the rules gonna ruin skyrim. Legit no one will port anything to consoles anymore. No point. So please don't change the rules for no reason. Only for those few liars trying to ruin a game that is loved by millions. Find another way.

--

Like I play only xbox. I don't have a pc. So i have to wait weeks for a mod author to reply to a message. To then have modder's not wanna port a mod. Just cause this rule. No point apparently. Even though I got the authors permission. Literally I have screenshots to prove it. I never even used or made a nexus until recently. I did it to directly message the author. Not look at the dumb perms and say o well.

--

I only own a xbox. Not a pc. It's not fair to us players. Literally just got authors permission to port mods to console. Uli got the screen shots for proof of my direct messages. I never made a nexus account before this. I only made it so I can message authors directly for permission. Now no one will port my mod even though I have permission and proof cause thus dumb rule change. We don't want this bethesda. Millions of you players and fans. DO NOT WANT THE CHANGE FIND ANOTHER WAY.

--

I don't think this is a good idea. As a console player. It took me weeks waiting for an author to reply. Now no one will port the mod I want. Cause the rules are changing and screenshots of the messages don't count.

Edited by Pickysaurus
Merged several spammy replies into a single post

I don't think this is a good idea. Not fair to people who work hard to get permission. Please im just a player for skyrim over a decade. Don't switch to that. I just now got permission to get a modder to port a mod I wanting. This stupid changing the rules gonna ruin skyrim. Legit no one will port anything to consoles anymore. No point. So please don't change the rules for no reason. Only for those few liars trying to ruin a game that is loved by millions. Find another way.

I think you are being overly paranoid. :) Asking the mod author to note the permission for the port in his permissions section is NOT unreasonable, and makes life easier for anyone trying to verify that someone actually DOES have permission. Given the rampant mod theft that was going on when beth first started doing mods for consoles, I think Arthmoor has the best solution there. Very little changes.