FALLOUT 4 IS GOING NEXT-GEN

pepperman35

Was that an error that they fixed?

How did a change in the way they were activated affect the working of the mods themselves? Did it also affect Bethesda.net mods?

I don't recall ever having such a problem, but I might not have been playing at that particular time.

Even so, let me modify my statement a bit "Bethesda would never knowingly and intentionally release an update that breaks existing "normal" mods." That's the dire prediction people seem to keep making.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An error reading the plugins.txt file?

That's new to me.

I'm not being snarky. And it could very well have happened while I was gone from the scene for 2 years. Just saying, I hadn't heard of that before. Do you remember a time frame of when that happened, HY? Fill me in bro, fill me in! :D

As for the problem that we had, with the previous game updates. Here's the way I see it, from both sides of the fence.

Yes. They did break all the current mods at the time. From our side of things, that was bad. From their side of things, it wasn't their problem, they weren't the developers of the mods.

Yes, once found, the solution was pretty simple to fix. From our side, that was a great relief. From their side, it didn't take much work on the developer's side, to adjust to the new situation.

Did they tell us what needed to be done to accomplish the fix? No. At least, not the general modding public. Some of the really big name, staple mods were right on top of it... which... to some people... might allude to contact between them and Beth... but for a lot of us, we had to figure it out.

As far as to what it might allude to, for some people... I dunno. I dunno if there's a line where support can be reached directly, at beth. All I know of is the support forums (Are those even still there? I haven't been to that site in a couple of years!) that none of the actual game developers were openly active on.

(Not saying they weren't on there. Just saying "openly" on there. As in, if they were, they were on civilian accounts.)

How did a change in the way they were activated affect the working of the mods themselves? Did it also affect Bethesda.net mods?

I don't recall ever having such a problem, but I might not have been playing at that particular time.

Even so, let me modify my statement a bit "Bethesda would never knowingly and intentionally release an update that breaks existing "normal" mods." That's the dire prediction people seem to keep making.

Essentially, Beth changed the plugins.txt file, so that activated mods need an asterisk in front of them..... So yeah, it broke EVERY mod. Of course, it didn't take long for folks to figure that out, and the mod managers were updated within days to fix it.

It's been a while ago though... I don't remember just when that was. There was discussion about it in the mod authors forum, which I no longer have access to, thanks to a site update...... (even though I had been in there for a decade or so....)

That said, I don't see beth screwing things up too badly. There may be some hoop jumping involved after the update, but, I'll be happy to sit back, relax, and wait to see what really happens. :D

I still find it hard to believe that in 2019 every single Fallout 4 mod, both here and on Bethesda.net (including ones for the consoles) had to be loaded back into the CK, resaved to update the header, and then re-uploaded, both here and on Bethesda.net (including ones for the consoles) and I am only hearing about it in this thread and Google turns up nothing at all about it.

I still find it hard to believe that in 2019 every single Fallout 4 mod, both here and on Bethesda.net (including ones for the consoles) had to be loaded back into the CK, resaved to update the header, and then re-uploaded, both here and on Bethesda.net (including ones for the consoles) and I am only hearing about it in this thread and Google turns up nothing at all about it.

There were some version issues, but, I think the problem was newer mod versions with older game versions. I don't recall ever having any issues with version checking being the cause..... Although, I had to reinstall my games in late '19, as my old computer died.....

There were some version issues, but, I think the problem was newer mod versions with older game versions. I don't recall ever having any issues with version checking being the cause..... Although, I had to reinstall my games in late '19, as my old computer died.....

This is what I thought, but I'm being told otherwise. I could see Bethesda making a mistake that they had to scramble to fix, but issuing an update without it being compatible with existing mods seems unlikely.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the 2019 update was not compatible with the 0.94 header version, which was switched to 0.95 in 2017, and that the numbers are just getting confused. People with the 2019 update would not be able to use mods that hadn't been updated in two years without going through the process of updating the header themselves, and people who used older version of the game would not be able to use the newest mods with the 1.00 header, but there is no conceivable way that ALL the current mods would have been broken by the update.

This is what I thought, but I'm being told otherwise. I could see Bethesda making a mistake that they had to scramble to fix, but issuing an update without it being compatible with existing mods seems unlikely.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the 2019 update was not compatible with the 0.94 header version, which was switched to 0.95 in 2017, and that the numbers are just getting confused. People with the 2019 update would not be able to use mods that hadn't been updated in two years without going through the process of updating the header themselves, and people who used older version of the game would not be able to use the newest mods with the 1.00 header, but there is no conceivable way that ALL the current mods would have been broken by the update.

Beth made the change that broke stuff, Modders fixed it. Beth never said boo about it.

Leaving me confused again. Did modders fix it on the consoles too?

Or was the problem only present in the mod managers and not the actual game? Which means they didn't "fix it", they just updated the mod managers to the new standard and the mods themselves were never broken in the first place.

Leaving me confused again. Did modders fix it on the consoles too?

Or was the problem only present in the mod managers and not the actual game? Which means they didn't "fix it", they just updated the mod managers to the new standard and the mods themselves were never broken in the first place.

I don't think consoles load mods the same way as pc..... considering there is no app data folder..... Consoles didn't seem to have that problem, just PC players.

Essentially, Beth changed the plugins.txt file, so that activated mods need an asterisk in front of them..... So yeah, it broke EVERY mod. Of course, it didn't take long for folks to figure that out, and the mod managers were updated within days to fix it.

It's been a while ago though... I don't remember just when that was. There was discussion about it in the mod authors forum, which I no longer have access to, thanks to a site update...... (even though I had been in there for a decade or so....)

That said, I don't see beth screwing things up too badly. There may be some hoop jumping involved after the update, but, I'll be happy to sit back, relax, and wait to see what really happens. :D

Ahhh, Ok. Now I see. That would have happened before I started playing the game.

I've had the asterisks in my plugins file ever since I started.

Guess I figured that's just how it's been run the whole time. :pinch:

Thanks for the information tho, bro :)

As for the consoles... I am very much afraid that I can't find anything about the updates :( Everything is either coming up about the next gen update, or news about updates that allow mods on consoles (Yeah... those must seriously be OLD articles!!)

And... to be a hundred percent honest... I didn't go past page 3. :rolleyes:

I will say this. While I do enjoy some of the beth's games. They're definitely not one of my favorite gaming companies... as a company.

BUT

While they have their (glaring) flaws, they've never gone into a cold war race with the modders. Unlike the situation that we have with Rockstar, as far as them breaking mods on a monthly basis (that might be an exaggeration, it might not. I quit that scene in frustration) with Grand Theft Auto 5.