The search function is not functional

Dario1980

Guest deleted34304850

my guess, to save the backend database from consuming tons of cpu cycles as it scans a reasonably large (and probably not very normalised) database, there's some sort of date-range limit so that you can't go back to the absolute beginning for your search results. without such a limit, the backend would basically grind to a halt as the database tries to serve queries (again probably not very optimized) to return all matching results.

note; i'm not calling out nexusmods here, the queries are probably generated by the forum software itself and would be difficult, if not near impossible to optimize correctly without a lot of surgery on the backend forum code.

i know i wouldn't want to do that as part of my job.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not beat a dead horse. But WHY did it break? Dated tech? OK. But that doesn't automatically mean that it doesn't work. The fact is that the search function was working until fairly recently.

Think of it as "the straw that broke the camel's back". It might be possible to optimise it at some point, but it's fairly low on the priority list as we're trying desperately to move comments off the forum.

Frankly, I think fixing the search should be somewhat more prioritized. One of the key strengths of these forums is the archived knowledge and solutions, now those are all lost. Forums aren't discord and shouldn't treated as such.

Guest deleted34304850

its a bit of a hack but couldn't you use google and it's site-specific search function to see if they can return one or more search results the forum search can't?

Frankly, I think fixing the search should be somewhat more prioritized. One of the key strengths of these forums is the archived knowledge and solutions, now those are all lost. Forums aren't discord and shouldn't treated as such.

wholeheartedly agree.

does anyone know if there's any efficient way to keep track of my own posts? the function that is supposed to do that here, no longer works.

is there a way to "follow" a post or thread? or a way to get a notice if someone responds to my post?