First Person vs. Third Person.....A perspective on Perspectives.

edgeburner

Third person is cool if i can zoom out a lot, Skyrim does it well.

There's very little value in having a character taking up a lot of screen space, though for some games with melee combat i can understand why it's there, its just hard to do in first person unless its VR. It's really mostly an outdated way of making melee combat work i think.

I have no problem doing melee in First Person. I much prefer that perspective to 'looking over my shoulder'. I don't see it as 'outdated', its just personal preference.

There's very little value in having a character taking up a lot of screen space, though for some games with melee combat i can understand why it's there, its just hard to do in first person unless its VR. It's really mostly an outdated way of making melee combat work i think.

I have no problem doing melee in First Person. I much prefer that perspective to 'looking over my shoulder'. I don't see it as 'outdated', its just personal preference.

its kind of outdated because unless its VR your movement is extremely robotic. in VR you can look to the sides (e.g looking for other threats) while still thrusting with your weapon in a forward motion (as one example). in third person it's less of an issue fighting multiple opponents, and somewhat more realistic in terms of being able to fight off multiple opponents.

its kind of outdated because unless its VR your movement is extremely robotic. in VR you can look to the sides (e.g looking for other threats) while still thrusting with your weapon in a forward motion (as one example). in third person it's less of an issue fighting multiple opponents, and somewhat more realistic in terms of being able to fight off multiple opponents.

Still, not 'outdated'. Is there better tech? Sure. That happens in any event. But, the tech still ain't inexpensive, though it is getting cheaper.

I don't care for VR at this point though, as the movement just ain't what I can get used to. When in combat, I want to be able to move as needed, not have to point at some other spot, and 'blink' there. Nope. that simply does not work for me.

• 2 months later...

First person for me since I do not

see the back of myself in real life.

I've always had a problem controlling

my character in third person.

• 5 months later...

I like to have switchable first and third person perspectives like in Fallout 4.  All those hair and clothing mods on Nexus for the main avatar.  It's nice to see the outfits, which I adapted in Bodyslide and OutfitStudio and also seeing the animated ponytail hair mod in third person.  Then there's taking wide angle 3rd person screenshots with my followers in the scene looking at a finished settlement.  I can't play any games with only a first person perspective anymore.

• Thanks 1

Interesting question. First person in games where it exists. However, in Baldur's Gate I&II it just isn't; and I scarcely notice. I'm not sure I'd have much patience with a modern third person perspective though... BG I & II are kind of 'special'.

20 hours ago, exlandia said:

I like to have switchable first and third person perspectives like in Fallout 4.  All those hair and clothing mods on Nexus for the main avatar.  It's nice to see the outfits, which I adapted in Bodyslide and OutfitStudio and also seeing the animated ponytail hair mod in third person.  Then there's taking wide angle 3rd person screenshots with my followers in the scene looking at a finished settlement.  I can't play any games with only a first person perspective anymore.

I switch to first person when combat starts and as soon as it's over go back to third, I don't see the point in cosmetic mods if you're never going to see the character.

• 2 weeks later...