Vortex tries to look for the wrong drive for Skyrim SE

lucidaxe
Go to solution Solved by lucidaxe,

Hi,

All of the games that I manage with Vortex are installed on my F: drive.

Vortex manages all of these games fine - including the original Skyrim (Legendary Edition) - but for some reason it fails to do so for one specific game: Skyrim Special Edition.

Even though it should be looking for the F: drive, where Skyrim SE is actually installed, it instead automatically searches the E: drive. The E: drive is simply my CD/Blu-Ray drive, so of course the E: drive contains nothing and means nothing unless I put a physical disk on there to be read by the computer. Yet Vortex insists on looking for it on the E: drive, for totally incomprehensible reasons.

The sequence of events when I try to manage Skyrim SE (which it detects properly as present):

It throws up an error automatically: see attached image Vortex_SkyrimSE_Error1.png.

I press 'Cancel'. It asks for user permissions to do something, it doesn't specify what. I grant it permission. Another error occurs automatically: see attached image Vortex_SkyrimSE_Error2.png.

Notifications say 'Invalid primary tool', also say SKSE64 is not installed but whatever, and say 'Mods can't be deployed' and none of the fixes it suggests can be applied.

Also strange: Vortex has actually created a folder in the right location:

F:\Vortex Mods\skyrimse. However, the folder is empty.

So it seems Vortex thinks my F: drive is actually my E: drive, but only for this particular game.

FIX ATTEMPTS

I have already reinstalled Skyrim SE and reinstalled Vortex. This did not fix things.

HOW DO I FIX THIS?

There is just one path for Mod Staging Folder. It was set to E:\Vortex Mods\skyrimse.

When clicking 'Suggest' (which fills in the correct path) or selecting the correct file path manually and then clicking 'Apply', the app throws up the same errors.

Engaging 'Automatically use suggested path for staging folder' has no noticeable impact.

The general staging folder is F:\Vortex Mods. It contains downloads, fallout3, fallout4, falloutnv, oblivion, skyrim, skyrimse (empty) and The Witcher 3.

The game install folder is F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition.

My other games are also installed under F:\Steam\steamapps\common.

So yes, the staging folder should be on the same drive as the game install folder, though for some reason Vortex defaults to the E: drive just for Skyrim SE and cannot be persuaded otherwise.

Vortex manages all other games on the same drive just fine, so the drive type shouldn't be the issue.

But I checked just to be sure, and yes, the F: drive is formatted as NTFS.

Is there possibly a way to FORCE Vortex to stop managing the game and to re-scan its install?

When I try to go to Games > Skyrim Special Edition > three dots > Stop Managing, and then press 'Delete profiles' on the confirmation window, it throws up an error as well.

And, as I said, reinstalling the game didn't fix things either. I made sure to open Vortex when SkyrimSE was uninstalled, so Vortex could register it was missing, and then opened Vortex again after reinstalling. No changes.