Vortex will not start.

Blinkybubs
Go to solution Solved by Pickysaurus,

Guest deleted34304850

can i ask why you're still running win7? to what end?

To the *main* end of upgrading would break too many programs. I say main, as there are multiple other reasons, as well, such as

* loss of desktop transparencies

* Loss of various Win7 Ultimate features like

* domain-features no longer included in non-professional versions of Win10/11.

* included deskstop games (like solitaire that I use while waiting for various activities)

* ability to control/select updates and when to install

* continuous uptime of over a month in Win7

* Windows Media Center (replaceable, but no longer builtin)

* lack of advertising that is built-in to Win10/11

* stability from not being used to test Beta updates (less of a problem w/Win10, now,

but that's also scheduled for obsolescence).

* increased privacy by not having the cloud integrated, including a default MS account for login.

There are things I would gain by updating, but it isn't a trivial procedure (I can't just flip a button and try Win10(or 11).

Those are just the few I could think of "off-hand", though I wouldn't classify it as an "end".

p.s. you didn't answer why the obsolete 'flash' is offered as an upload solution, here in the forums.

Exactly! Why fix something if it isn't broken. I built my current rig back in 2009 running an AMD 8 Core @4.33 HGz, 32 GB RAM, using Win 7 Ultimate 64. The only upgrades were ram and a gfx card which is an Geforce RTX 2060. For what games I play it's more than enough.

As for Vortex, I'm running the prior version with no issues. When I close it and it wants to update, I just click the x and it doesn't update.

why fix stuff that isn't broken is the most stupid argument there is. so, well done, you win.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

Exactly! Why fix something if it isn't broken. I built my current rig back in 2009 running an AMD 8 Core @4.33 HGz, 32 GB RAM, using Win 7 Ultimate 64. The only upgrades were ram and a gfx card which is an Geforce RTX 2060. For what games I play it's more than enough.

As for Vortex, I'm running the prior version with no issues. When I close it and it wants to update, I just click the x and it doesn't update.

Because it is broken. All software is broken to some degree. But security vulnerabilities are only a risk for the general public from the moment they are published to the moment they are fixed (because the average script kiddy doesn't discover security flaws, they just use flaws someone else publicised).

If a security flaw is discovered by a white hat hacker, the software vendor has time to fix the issue before it gets published, otherwise they are usually fixed within days.

But if you don't update your software, you are no longer vulnerable for days but forever, your individual risk of being affected by a security flaw was stable on a rather low level while Windows 7 was supported - not because the threads were constant - that was constantly in flux whether you noticed or not - but because the number of flaws fixed was roughly the same as the number of flaws that became public.

But since january your risk of being affected by a flaw has grown exponentially and grows every day. Users sticking with software past end-of-life are a gift and favored target to every lazy hacker in the world. Your system today is probably a thousand times more vulnerable than it was in 2009. That is what changed.

Your argument of "why fix something that isn't broken" in this context is like a captain on a boat acting like the sea doesn't matter. You're supposed to update software not because your system changed but because the world around your system changed.

Running an old Vortex version isn't a solution, it's a workaround and the shorter you rely on it the better - because chrome and electron too have received a bunch of security fixes since 1.7.8 that are all publicly known and documented and exploitable today and were unknown when 1.7.8 was originally released.

I saw this on Reddit earlier and thought it relevant to the conversation re: security. They link to specific examples where Windows 7 is a big security risk. The context is that there's a lot of people who still think it's "cool" to be on Windows 7 and shun Windows 10/11 - perhaps not so relevant here, but it explains the tone of the thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/13e1vft/psa_windows_7_is_not_safe_youre_not_cool_for/

* loss of desktop transparencies There are alternatives for this.

* Loss of various Win7 Ultimate features like

* domain-features no longer included in non-professional versions of Win10/11. Why do you need these?

* included deskstop games (like solitaire that I use while waiting for various activities) If you do an in-place upgrade, those games will still be there. If you do a fresh install, Windows 7 games for Windows 10 works great, and is easily available.

* ability to control/select updates and when to install Yeah, this one is a sticky one, there are third-party apps that will deal with this though.

* continuous uptime of over a month in Win7 Win 10/11 can manage this feat as well.

* Windows Media Center (replaceable, but no longer builtin) In place upgrade won't affect this either. That said, there are better 3rd party apps out as viable alternatives.

* lack of advertising that is built-in to Win10/11 I don't get advertising in Win 10. I don't log in with a microsoft account, and onedrive isn't running on my machine.

* stability from not being used to test Beta updates (less of a problem w/Win10, now,

but that's also scheduled for obsolescence). This is a non-issue. MS used to break win 7 fairly regularly with updates. It doesn't happen now, because win 7 ISN'T being updated......

* increased privacy by not having the cloud integrated, including a default MS account for login. As said above, you aren't required to have an MS account on 10 or 11.

And you can still "upgrade" to 10 for free. I think. Not sure on 7 Ultimate.....