Nexus be a little more free

trilliagan4727

I don't post much on the forums and I hope me just speaking a thought doesn't get my lifetime membership messed with.

Basically I was reading on social media about how nexus basically said something to the regard of if you don't like what nexus allows go somewhere else.

This angered me quite a bit, let me explain. So I have a lifetime membership which wasn't free, I had to pay for it... at the time I felt I was investing in nexus mods for what it was at the time as THE game mod website.

So fast forward to recently, I didn't care for the way that nexus has been pushing creators away in many of their practices such as the program that bundled mods together(It rightfully upset many CREATORS). This was the first time I thought wow nexus doesn't care about the people WHO MAKE THE MODS because they basically said deal with it then. I'm not a creator on here so why does that make me mad? because I love the mods I get here and the fact that some very prominent mod authors stop using nexus at that time really bothered me, some of those mods I used... now I had to go somewhere else to get them.

Okay so I really didn't say anything at that time but I really felt it was an incredibly foolish business decision considering I assume nexus likes to make money and not lose traffic. So come to now when I read that they said (paraphrasing) we will do what ever we want. I feel that nexus needs to be a little more open to the mods they host (have adult restrictions) but be more concerned with what the backbone of the community says IE the mod authors.

I honestly don't know what I would do if my membership was affected by speaking my mind but... nexus mods needs to think about what their actions affect when they not only say things that tell people to go else where does but to restrict mods that honestly I don't think I would use but it is really sad to ban mods that speak a political mindset. I think banding quite literally harmless mods that if you don't like them or want to use them... well you as a downloader you most likely won't use them.

IF I did want nexus to be my one stop shop, nexus is actively making so that they will never be that. Honestly it makes me think that with practices like this my investment at the time feels like it doesn't even matter and very dainty folk are running nexus that are either afraid of standing up or are allowing their own political feelings play into how they run things, with very little concern how the people who have given them money actually feel.

Sorry if my writing is a bit poor right now I am having some issues with my eyes reading through is difficult to check for bad grammar.

The problem, as always, is that you assume that Nexus Mods introducing Collections resulted in a loss of business/users/subscribers. It didn't.

And you also assume that the majority of users/subscribers agree with you about the standards Nexus Mods has set for mods they are willing to host. It doesn't.

You are free to dislike their decisions, but don't be fooled into thinking they are bad business decisions.

Well, "take it or leave it" approach isn't something new. This is how internet webs and services are running for years. When you want use such service, you must always accept some terms and conditions. In this regard Nexus isn't any different. But it's also not only one, so if you think your money weren't spend well, there are still alternatives to try.

I understand authors concerns about Collections, as for them it means propably much less visits of their own mod pages and additional headaches (if mod isn't working right in some Collection, who is responsible etc.). On the other hand it's just another "product" which Nexus is trying to offer and it doesn't force on you, so you can ignore it, if you like. It's also product of these times, all is automated and delivered under your nose instantly - people behind it are irrelevant (and no one reads the credits anyway).

Regarding politics and religion I too think these things aren't suitable to be expressed in any game or mod. Also with cultural differences it can be very explosive matter, which can get out of hand quickly.

But let Nexus not forget something - it's mod authors and also paying customers who made them successfull and known. Alienating them while blindly chasing a profit will often bring disaster.

Edit: @showler and 1ae0bfb8: I think you should calm down a little. As trilliagan is a paying customer too, he has every right to express his concerns about his money spend.

Edited by RomanR

The community is controlled by a certain group. They make the rules to benefit themselves. Things have always been this way. Still waiting on someone to stop whining and start making their own MOD site.

Until that day, we have all agreed to post mods here according to what Nexus deems balanced rational and fair, even if most would not agree this is the case.

Mods which erase entire groups of people deserve to be banned, pure and simple. The two most egregious examples of mods frequently banned erased me as a person. So they deserved to be banned.

This is the correct answer.

Edit: @showler and 1ae0bfb8: I think you should calm down a little. As trilliagan is a paying customer too, he has every right to express his concerns about his money spend.

I didn't say anything that wasn't calm. I was merely pointing out that when a website adds 741,821 new users in the month following an "incident" that people declare will "kill the website" they should probably reconsider whether they actually understand what the user base wants.