New Forum Feedback

Pickysaurus

4 hours ago, HeyYou said:

Erm, why on earth would EVERY game Modding forums be dumped into the same forum? Given the number of games here, that is going to make keeping track of mod issues/requests pretty much impossible. What happened to each game having it's own forum for such purposes???

omg ya screw this! If they don't want to link up the old forums to the new format fine. But at least let fan run forums (or clubs) be be linked to the game's as the community forum link so it is at least the same community! Let it be like a sub reddit fan forum community.

My game may not be a top 10, but it is the 11th on the main nexus page for gawd sake! It is an old game, 15 years next year, it could use a refreshed forum slate for the small but loyal community. But don't let us die in obscurity. 

edit: aka without a direct link from the game to a club based on that game, fan run clubs will likely die. Old school nexus modders will assume, there are no ______ forums anymore. We aren't even given a running chance to survive if we can't have these direct link ups.

edit, edit: oops, apparently we weren't suppose to be able to create clubs on our own (just got contacted about it). So disregard. 

Edited by HollownessDevoured

1. none of this was broadcast

You just need a bit of patient. We did say answers would be coming, and they are still working on this as a project. When it's done and ready and they actually know how everything works, then it can be communicated.

2. it is either impossible, or very difficult to go from the forums to a club/community - but i can go from a club/community to the forums in a single click

I'm not using Clubs/Games at all but I just found them by hovering over Browse and then clicking "Top Games". Not the best name for it - but I'm pretty sure that's the list of games/clubs.

3. the search facility provided by invision isn't the best - not nexusmods fault at all - but - consolidation of several forums into one with no easy means to search and receive a meaningful result set means that consolidation, while completely practical from the technical standpoint is impractical from a usability standpoint.

Can you give me an example of a search you want to do that you can't do due to consolidated forum categories?

4. if you consolidate forums into one - then okay - it is what it is. however, if you then arbitrarily decide that game 'x' has generated a busy community - moving all the posts again, is going to cause the same confusion once more, and i have to ask, who wins in that scenario? is it the people who made the community with their activity? is it nexusmods who then have to perform the forum data move? is it the moderators who will have to deal with people asking, quite reasonably (i hope) - where did my posts go?

I think the number of times this would happen in a year would be very small, if non-existant. The game would have to be a break-out sleeper modding hit for us to not have already setup a dedicated forum for it and those are very rare. AAA games we know are going to be modded, for example Hogwarts Legacy and BG3 from this year, would have dedicated forums setup ahead of time. If there is a sleeper hit and the community team need to do some post moving then there is the option to leave re-direct links when moving posts. The community team haven't done that for the Forum Category to Club move because those forum categories are being removed entirely, so it's pointless. That should avoid any confusion in this very rare issue.

RE: the other points, I'm not sure what you mean by "wasteful screen real estate", because when you're looking at forum topics inside a club it looks and acts exactly like a normal forum. I also don't agree with your navigation issues either. If anything, all the categories within a club/game are shown at the top of the club and you can easily click between them, so you can actually switch between categories in clubs/games faster than you could before in the old forums. Perhaps this is an issue of you not being willing to just let the dust settle and give the system a chance (and giving us time to actually finish the job before coming in hard on the negativity).

23 minutes ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

forum-screenshot.thumb.jpg.98f0b676abea7e3ecf6a370d93249a74.jpg

That's what I call wasted space.

Ah, so for you, you mean the stuff in the right-hand column on a thread? I can understand it's an issue because from your screenshot it looks like you are running at a very small resolution. Considering it looks like that right-nav is hard-coded into the new forums your best bet is going to be using something like uBlock Origin to block that element in your browser. You will then get the full-screen width again. Either way, I'm not sure it is something we can change on our end.

I will say that I am using an ultra-wide and the decreased width, for me, is actually a blessing. But that's very much based on personal preference.

9 minutes ago, Dark0ne said:

Ah, so for you, you mean the stuff in the right-hand column on a thread? I can understand it's an issue because from your screenshot it looks like you are running at a very small resolution. Considering it looks like that right-nav is hard-coded into the new forums your best bet is going to be using something like uBlock Origin to block that element in your browser. You will then get the full-screen width again.

I will say that I am using an ultra-wide and the decreased width, for me, is actually a blessing. But that's very much based on personal preference.

You are blessed with perfect eye sight then. This is 1600x900 at 150% font magnification - the only way I can read it. My PC can do better, my eyes cannot. I shall look at element blocking because indeed the problem of wasted space is very common among websites now. All designed for people with perfect eyesight.

EDIT: Phew! Sidebar removed! Yay! 😄 Thank you. 🙂

Edited by LenaWolfBravil

Is there any functionality for the "Top Games" sidebar to only show Communities that we've joined?  Between the number of Communities included that I'm not interested in and the somewhat odd way it lists them in different order every time it is less useful than it could be.

6 minutes ago, Dark0ne said:

The alternative is that it sits below the first post on every page of the thread like the picture below. I'm not entirely sure whether that's better or worse:

Below the first post? That's odd. I would have thought above the first post would be more appropriate... or below the last one. What a strange choice.