New Forum Feedback

Pickysaurus

1 hour ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

What's going on there? Confused. 😵‍💫 (This is now my top used emoji. Sheesh.)

The answer to probably all your questions is:  There's likely about two to three people trying to reorganize the forums, migrate the threads and make everything consistent while also simultaneously trying to find the best use for any new features the software has added.  Plus, it's the weekend so they aren't working at all right now.

I really don't think we have any idea how this is going to shake out until they're done.

7 minutes ago, Zanderat said:

BTW, the friends tab is still functional.  But probably no point to it, as I am sure that they will kill it at some point.

My guess would be that it still exists as part of the old forums, which are still running somewhere in order to keep the comments sections on the main site running.  It won't last past the migration of the comments to the new system.

14 hours ago, Selene310187 said:

It's sad that the friends feature is gone. I was looking for a way to get a cached version of my list of friends but I haven't found one. The Wayback Machine didn't archive it and the archived versions of my profile from search engines were too recent. Then I copied the link of the friends tab from the Wayback Machine version of my profile, isolated the original Nexus link, opened it a new tab and the list of friends is still there!

https://www.nexusmods.com/users/287627?tab=friends

All you need to do is putting ?tab=friends at the end of your profile link to access your list of friends. This makes the process of adding them back as followers easier.

Edit:

I made a backup of my list of friends just in case.

Another thing, is that it's a MASSIVE morale boost for users.

I usually see people who make a good comment or a mod that is interesting, but notice that they have no friends, and so I immediately friend them. It encourages them to keep making mods, you know helping the community.

Without the ability to do that, I already see many of my friends not even bothering to come on anymore 😤

1 hour ago, showler said:

I really don't think we have any idea how this is going to shake out until they're done.

Yes, I was thinking this too after those confused comments. Every time I look, things seem to change. I guess it is to be expected. I should probably just come back in a month or so and see what it looks like then.

With that said, from the original post announcing forum migration, I was under the impression that once the forums are switched back on, the migration would be complete. This is not the case though, and the source of confusion.

1 hour ago, lefttounge said:

Another thing, is that it's a MASSIVE morale boost for users.

I usually see people who make a good comment or a mod that is interesting, but notice that they have no friends, and so I immediately friend them. It encourages them to keep making mods, you know helping the community.

I use to have all comments turned off cause I found over-obsessing on how much exposure I was getting distracting but when I did turn them on 🤣 alot of angry "release this" comments came through a year later.

Sometimes people make something and then realize it isn't for them, plenty of other cool interests out there but after your first year, I think then you know it's your jam. Good on you though for trying to encourage people, we need more supportful creators. I always see reoccuring names in mod images and I often let them know how I value their work whether they release it or not.

1 hour ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

Yes, I was thinking this too after those confused comments. Every time I look, things seem to change. I guess it is to be expected. I should probably just come back in a month or so and see what it looks like then.

With that said, from the original post announcing forum migration, I was under the impression that once the forums are switched back on, the migration would be complete. This is not the case though, and the source of confusion.

I'm actually really disappointed with the Nexus Staff on this.   Multiple times in the past they've made a necessary business decision (totally understandable, no problem with this) only to have things turn into a circus because of their poor communication regarding what decisions had been made, why and how things were going to progress.  Multiple times they've admitted to the poor communication and promised to examine their processes and "do better next time".  But this is yet another "next time" and they still aren't doing better.  They've promised a news article detailing changes and future plans, but we're almost two weeks since the forums went live again and the article still isn't here.  That article should have been ready the day the forums came back, even if it needed to be further updated as things changed.

A forum thread that is supposed to be about feedback on the new forums shouldn't be full of people saying "what's happening?  What's this? Where's that? Why's this so weird? Why does this even exist? Why doesn't that exist?" without some place to point them for answers.

1 hour ago, MuteSignals said:

I use to have all comments turned off cause I found over-obsessing on how much exposure I was getting distracting but when I did turn them on 🤣 alot of angry "release this" comments came through a year later.

Sometimes people make something and then realize it isn't for them, plenty of other cool interests out there but after your first year, I think then you know it's your jam. Good on you though for trying to encourage people, we need more supportful creators. I always see reoccuring names in mod images and I often let them know how I value their work whether they release it or not.

Thanks pal! 🙂

i like to think of myself as like the drunk uncle of the nexus 😅 that encourages people.

I just wish people were more supportive of my barefoot Jill Valentine pics🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, lefttounge said:

I just wish people were more supportive of my barefoot Jill Valentine pics🤣🤣🤣

Well that's surprising. It's usually the most requested mod request I get in my DM's. Players wanting their outfits edited to remove the shoes. Don't worry guys who've asked me, I won't expose you! 😇

Modder Confidentiality (though admins can read your private messages, behave!)

18 hours ago, Selene310187 said:

It's sad that the friends feature is gone. I was looking for a way to get a cached version of my list of friends but I haven't found one. The Wayback Machine didn't archive it and the archived versions of my profile from search engines were too recent. Then I copied the link of the friends tab from the Wayback Machine version of my profile, isolated the original Nexus link, opened it a new tab and the list of friends is still there!

https://www.nexusmods.com/users/287627?tab=friends

All you need to do is putting ?tab=friends at the end of your profile link to access your list of friends. This makes the process of adding them back as followers easier.

Edit:

I made a backup of my list of friends just in case.

Oh nice find Selene! Thanks for that info, it's very helpful!! 😄

Kudos

--theblackfist

4 hours ago, Zanderat said:

Now that we know that the friends functionality and data is still there, something should be done with it.  Either migrate it as followers or at least provide to users a legacy list that will remain accessible.

BTW, the friends tab is still functional.  But probably no point to it, as I am sure that they will kill it at some point.

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Yep I agree with this too! Why hide something that's still there and functional? 😉

Plus there's other little things that, while may be small and minute to some, these things added that human element and excitement to surfing the Nexus (both the forums and mod sites). Little things like:

- The "about me" tab on ppl's profiles and the ability to customize that page
- The "Real Name" at the top of ppl's profiles (especially when adding a comment to someone's image or video they released, mentioning them by their real name goes a long ways to "keep them going" and releasing more cool content).
- Of course the "friends" tab
- The number of total posts they've made at the top of both their profiles and any comments they make

--theblackfist

33 minutes ago, theblackfist said:

Yep I agree with this too! Why hide something that's still there and functional? 😉
- The "about me" tab on ppl's profiles and the ability to customize that page
- The "Real Name" at the top of ppl's profiles (especially when adding a comment to someone's image or video they released, mentioning them by their real name goes a long ways to "keep them going" and releasing more cool content).
- Of course the "friends" tab
- The number of total posts they've made at the top of both their profiles and any comments they make

Hidden because it's part of the old forums, not connected to the new forums.

About me will come back once they create a new system to update it from the main site side of things.

Real Name was removed for privacy/security reasons.

Friends tab was removed because it's not a function in the new forum software.

Post counts will remain in the forums.  I don't know if it can come back on the comments section when that's updated.  But the forum count and the comments count will be separate going forward.