Bethesda's New Verified Creator Program

Pickysaurus

I was curious to see what was in this "marketplace".  I am on GOG now, so I had to download a separate STEAM install (which I will delete shortly) to see what's what.  Nothing worth buying that can't be had for free.  About what I expected.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's always been the story with the creation club. Its nothing but cheap knock-offs of popular mods (namely frostfall). Why would the creations thing be any different? The problem is many are fearing that this may be the next step in making it so free mods cannot be used. There is also the fact that the update, like always, has stopped all mods from working until they get updated AGAIN. They're also scrambling the mods on bethesda.net with creations, and the algorthm seems to prioritize the creations. This makes finding true quality mods nigh impossible.

Honestly, this may cause yet another exodus back to LE. I switched back to LE years ago specifically because I got fed up with not being able to play my game for months on end, only to find that when it was working again half my load order had to be removed over and over before I got to even fully experience it. Besides, for some reason LE was far more stable on my computer than SE anyway, though that's not really saying much.

29 minutes ago, D4rkmistnokitsune said:

How about everyone just keep playing the 1.6.640 and leave the online features disabled anyway

You can turn off the Anniversary Edition  DLC. I can't see a way of rolling back via Steam to the earlier version. You could simply ignore it which I think will probably be my strategy when I can get Mod Organizer stable again (I'm on Linux)...  I really do not enjoy that interface... it's trying to download a zillion images at once and it's very flickery -  I'm using ASDL. Anyone with epilepsy or migraine induced by flicker needs to be very careful there if they have slow download speeds. 

Anyone who hasn't updated yet can simply switch off auto updates... but even so; I wonder how long it would be possible to avoid a Steam update?

On 12/5/2023 at 10:10 AM, Pickysaurus said:

With the update to Skyrim, Bethesda has launched its new Verified Creator Program. This allows mod authors to sell their mods through Bethesda's Creation Club store and earn a cut of the sale price. 

This looks to be the long-suspected "paid mods" update to Bethesda.net ahead of modding being enabled for Starfield. 

Check out the details here:  https://creations.bethesda.net/en/creators/bethesdagamestudios

What do you think? 

What I think.

Firstly, Bethesda has every right legally and morally to do this, since these games are their lawful intellectual property.

Secondly, Modders have every right legally and morally to participate in the VCP, should they wish to do so.

Thirdly, I have every right legally and morally NOT to buy mods from Bethesda or any other mod vendor.  (This is a right that I have exercised in the past and will continue to exercise in the future.)

Fourthly, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this vastly overblown issue.

14 minutes ago, AugustaCalidia said:

What I think.

Firstly, Bethesda has every right legally and morally to do this, since these games are their lawful intellectual property.

Secondly, Modders have every right legally and morally to participate in the VCP, should they wish to do so.

Thirdly, I have every right legally and morally NOT to buy mods from Bethesda or any other mod vendor.  (This is a right that I have exercised in the past and will continue to exercise in the future.)

Fourthly, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this vastly overblown issue.

How would you like it if the person you bought your car from came and destroyed your car beyond repair just because they came up with a new version of it? What would you think if someone leveled your house just because they built another one you could buy? What if Lowes came in and destroyed all your appliances every time a new version of it came out? Or your furniture for that matter? That's what bethesda is doing to all of us. We paid for this game and love it, but bethesda keeps trying to take it away from us. We've all spent countless hours either making mods or using them, only for bethesda to try everything in their power to destroy all the hours we've put into this game. I literally start planning my playthroughs 6 months in advance because IT TAKES THAT LONG TO FINISH A LOAD ORDER. Also, nobody likes the whole 'death by update' garbage. I have a steam library full of games I purchased years ago that now bear no resemblence to the product I originally paid for. I dont enjoy them at all, and I can't have back the game I did buy. In some cases, I literally can't even play the game in its current state (the 1.4 update for terraria dramatically increased the difficulty of the game, causing countless people to lose the ability to play the damned thing at all).

Also, do you even mod? Do you even look at the mods people make? Its not just joke mods (which are probably the rarest mod category) or bikini armors that don't seem to popular anymore. They're making their own f*#@ing games. Look at Darkend, Forgotten City, Beyond Bruma, and tell me that's all worthless garbage that must just be thrown away. The situation is arguable worse for mod users; we're all trying to turn our games into the perfect game for us. Arguably, what we're trying to do is far bigger in scale than any mod ever made. Bethesda gave us permission to do this, and even encouraged it, and now is trying to pull the rug out from under our feet just because they want to make money on it all. They're already making money; people have to buy the game to use the mods. That's not enough for them; its never enough, they won't stop even if they own every penny on this planet. What they're doing to the Skyrim community is like what Unity tried to do to indie gamers; SOMEONE ACTUALLY TRIED TO TAKE THEM TO COURT OVER IT AND THEY BACKED DOWN. Skyrim modders aren't just modders; they're more akin to INDIE DEVELOEPRS. I mean, there's Skyrim mods out there that are far grander in scale than any indie game. Hell, the Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil project IS SUPPOSED TO BE BIGGER THAN SKYRIM ITSELF.

Saying we don't matter is extremely insulting. Say that to the face of the makers of all the major mods. Tell them all their blood sweat and tears means f*#@ing nothing. Tell them they're stupid for simply making mods. You're heinous and sickening. This is by far the most atocious comment I'VE EVER SEEN ON THE NEXUS. Maybe you should be banned from ever playing the game again, mods or not? As you said, you don't own it. That means anyone has the right to take it away from you as they please. You honestly deserve it with a heinous comment like that.

In response to some of the absurd claims and analogies proffered in this thread, please note the following paragraphs from the Skyrim EULA (full text can be found on Steam):

"LICENSE. Subject to this Agreement and its terms and conditions, LICENSOR hereby grants you the non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to use one copy of the Software for your personal, non-commercial use on a single home or portable console or computer. The Software is being licensed to you and you hereby acknowledge that no title or ownership in the Software is being transferred or assigned and this Agreement should not be construed as a sale or transfer of any rights in the Software. All rights not specifically granted under this Agreement are reserved by LICENSOR and, as applicable, its licensors.

OWNERSHIP. LICENSOR retains all right, title and interest to this Software, including, but not limited to, all copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, trade names, proprietary rights, patents, titles, computer and software codes, audiovisual effects, themes, characters, character names, stories, dialog, settings, artwork, sounds effects, musical works, and moral rights. The Software is protected by United States copyright law and applicable copyright laws and treaties throughout the world."

Summary:  Bethesda grants a license to use Skyrim.  Bethesda does not transfer ownership of Skyrim.  (BTW, this is a standard game EULA.)

1 hour ago, AugustaCalidia said:

Firstly, Bethesda has every right legally and morally to do this

What they are doing may be legal, but it’s absurd to say that they are MORALLY right. Their actions are extremely disrespectful towards the players who paid for their game.

If you got a cut from their money, your position would be somehow understandable, but if you don’t, then what you said is just gratuitous (and groundless) subservience to Bethesda’s whims.

21 minutes ago, Dwalin2012 said:

What they are doing may be legal, but it’s absurd to say that they are MORALLY right. Their actions are extremely disrespectful towards the players who paid for their game.

If you got a cut from their money, your position would be somehow understandable, but if you don’t, then what you said is just gratuitous (and groundless) subservience to Bethesda’s whims.

Yeah, that seems a common fallacy. Just because something is legal, doesn't mean its right. Slavery used to be illegal, so does that mean it was right before it was outlawed? Women used to be barred from voting, so does that mean it was right back then? Being gay used to be punishable by death, so does that mean gays deserve to die?

Also, as I said, the letter of the law states that the only way for you town a program is to make it and its hardware yourself via assembly code (these laws date back to the 80s if you need an explanation). Given that, the true owners of Skyrim would be the people who made the C language and whatever IDE bethesda used to make the creation kit and papyrus language. Yes, that means people don't legally own their mods, even if they made them themselves. What I'm saying is the same laws state that no company owns any software they make. The real owners of everything are the people making the programming languages.

The law really needs to be updated on who owns what. If you make your own model, you own it unless it needs a game you did not make to run. How does that make any sense? You still did the same work either way, so why should that matter? At the very least that should constitute a copyright dispute. Of course, how does that hurt the people who do own the program? People have to still buy their program to use the model, so what are they losing? If anything, the person who made that model gave customers an extra incentive to buy the game!

The law really needs to be updated TO KEEP IT IN LINE WITH CURRENT TECHNOLOGY. Companies shouldn't have the right to VANDALIZE software you PAID MONEY FOR. Companies shouldn't have the right to claim ownership of other people's work just because it requires their software to run. If that is so, then everyone who ever made a program with python, flash, or java does not own their own program. Keep in mind, PEOPLE HAVE SOLD PROGRAMS USING THESE LANGUAGES. Just one example off the top of my head is Civilization 4, which uses python quite extensively (its map generate is made entirely in python, seriously). It even says 'loading python' during its boot-up sequence. Yet, they sold the game, and they own it, not the makers of python. How is a mod any different? I mean, they had to ship the game with a version of Python just so the game could run! Seriously. That's how all interpreted languages work, and there isn't really anyway around it (the closest is packaging the interpreter with the game in a way that makes it look like a single executable).

Again, people should own their work, and companies shouldn't have the right to vandalize products other people paid them for. Its why I don't buy games anymore; you're better off just making your own rather than working to earn money to buy a game that you're only going to be allowed to keep for a year or two at best. Yeah, the games I can make are limited since I don't have the skill to make my own assets, but at least I don't have to worry about anyone taking what I make away from me. You're just better off doing that than buying games if you seriously want to game.