Forum Reputation System Enabled

Demorphic

I don't think IPS even has an option for down-voting. I guess you can add more reactions and have some of them be negative. You wouldn't know from just using the reaction though.

1 hour ago, UsernameWithA9 said:

Just for fun... I'd like to make a suggestion. The middle finger emoji could be used as a down voter. It's already right there in the emoji list. 

Too harsh?

I haven't given anyone the middle finger since the 1970s, but am I the only one who thinks it's an aggressive sexual inuendo? I'm not a big fan of any kind of insults or threats meant light heartedly. To me, giving someone the middle finger is the same as telling them you want to fight.

I did say the suggestion was just for fun. However, I wouldn't classify it as a sexual innuendo necessarily but it's certainly aggressive. Which explains why folks get pissed when I fire one off when they park in the bike lane. It surprised me to see it there along with all the other feel-good, sugar-sweet emojis.

Personally, it doesn't bother me because I use it as an expression of discontent and view it likewise when given to me. I'd be more concerned if that person chose to come swinging or pulled a weapon. Now that's telling someone you want to fight. I just found it's presence here ironic and somewhat amusing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UsernameWithA9 said:

but I think down voting would be ammunition for toxicity most anyway you offer it.

I often wonder what someone thinks when they see all those 'thumb down' signs. I'm sure there are people who enjoy collecting 'thumbs down' but it's the ones who aren't quite so philosophical about it that would worry me. The 'thumbs down' always seems to have implications to me. I'm not in favour of 'down voting'. The 'smiley' things we have here are definitely fun  - they allow a thank you or a smile and that is as far as I'd wish to go. On my only remaining  forum now I haven't implemented any of those extra tools but it's a tiny forum. If we agree or disagree - we just say. People posting just to agree or disagree here could just add more unneeded  noise.

17 hours ago, UsernameWithA9 said:

Because one thing I am sure of and that's the power of people to abuse any system laid before them

Sadly. Yes. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mkh97 said:

Speaking of downvotes, someone did actually make a suggestion on the feedback board to add it: https://feedback.nexusmods.com/posts/827/adding-the-thumb-down. Currently, 10 has voted for the suggestion and it hasn't been declined yet.

A lot of things on the feedback board aren't going to be straight-up declined, but if they get almost no votes they won't even be looked at. 

Yeah, but only 10 up votes on that since May of 2023? Out of how many Nexus users? I'm actually surprised it hasn't had any decline votes because a few of those posters, ScytheBearer particularly, brought up some very valid points as to why the down vote reaction shouldn't be implemented. With respect to symmetry, I do tend to agree that if you have a like reaction, you should also have a dislike, but to put one out there is just asking for all the idiots to add their toxic stamp on your mod.

A couple of ideas just occurred to me, but it's likely to create more work for moderators, so I don't know but... What if, in addition to a dislike reaction, you also require that the user provide a valid reason and that in turn is reviewed by a moderator before going live. Or log user activity in respect to how they review mods. If they're throwing out an excessive amount of dislikes a month or whenever, that should be cause for concern. Perhaps that would give some folks pause if there are repercussions for bad behavior. Give them a warning or ban them. But then again, some folks just don't care. Just take a look at the Formal Warnings And Ban thread.

Edited by UsernameWithA9
Edited for clarity

Oh no, please don't turn this place into Reddit.  Wonder how many people will stop posing once they start getting down-voted.....

Plenty of negative emojis to choose from if you must express dissatisfaction with a particular person.  Or maybe just post back with your own insightful opinion.  

• Like 3