User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

8 minutes ago, Pickysaurus said:

I could be wrong but I believe the both of you have previously complained about the editor on mod pages (which is the "old" editor in this context) - I think it's fair to say that even though it lacks some features using the new editor is a much nicer experience. 

User profiles are a fairly "low traffic" page compared to other parts of the website, so we've gone ahead with Markdown only for the About Me. However, once we get to moving over Mods it'll be much more important that the existing formatting is disrupted as little as possible. Whether we carry on down the Markdown route (and add a few new options) or look at alternatives it still undecided. Whatever we do end up building will (hopefully) be backported to other parts of the new site (About Me, Collections, Comments). 

Yes, I am only pipping in now, because eventually it will be mod pages on the "chop block" XD TBH user profiles are an afterthought but for the migration it is our first look of things to come, so I may be more worried of what it means in the long run.

Yep, I pointed out a couple/few bugs/issues with the old version. Hence, why I am expecting a much higher standard for the new; as well as making me want to nip all things in the bud asap.😛

Edited by HollownessDevoured
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickysaurus said:

@LenaWolfBravil

We are very much aware that the Markdown editor has less formatting options versus what the forum (and main website) have. It's a concern that the Community Managers (JTK, Happybara,  Demorphic, and I) make sure we frequently discuss in the team. At present we're just using the new editor "as-is" which was developed for Collection pages. I could be wrong but I believe the both of you have previously complained about the editor on mod pages (which is the "old" editor in this context) - I think it's fair to say that even though it lacks some features using the new editor is a much nicer experience. 

User profiles are a fairly "low traffic" page compared to other parts of the website, so we've gone ahead with Markdown only for the About Me. However, once we get to moving over Mods it'll be much more important that the existing formatting is disrupted as little as possible. Whether we carry on down the Markdown route (and add a few new options) or look at alternatives is still undecided. Whatever we do end up building will (hopefully) be backported to other parts of the new site (About Me, Collections, Comments). 

3 hours ago, LenaWolfBravil said:

This is exactly the reason I bring it up. Besides, I don't agree that About Me pages are unimportant. This is the "face" of the mod author.

I am glad you guys realise that there is a problem with the editors. The editor that you now have on the forum side seems good enough to me. The Markdown editor is however currently insufficient.

EDIT: I did the exercise of updating both profiles today in order to test the editors. Just have a look at the difference. It's the same text but one also has pictures while the other one doesn't.

Glad to hear we're more or less on the same page. We're definitely aware of how important this will be for mods.

I didn't say user profiles aren't important but the logic is, we could stop the momentum of migrating the site to focus on formatting now or get something out to users (with the improvements/returned features we committed to) now. It's sort of kicking the can down the road but we know that if we change/improve the editor later it would be to the benefit of the features that came before it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Pickysaurus said:

The "US" bit is a placeholder which will eventually be replaced by a flag icon/image. 

Remove the naming and add en emoji flag instead?

country flag + country code (ISO 3166)

Example:

🇺🇸 US

Edited by Qrsr
typo + country code link

Not sure if it's been said, but the beta profile page is way too cluttered and centered and things that don't matter to the user browsing experience are taking up a lot of focus. The grid actually showing a user profile's mods should be the biggest area, like it is now, and I should be able to see more than 3-6 mods at a time. The beta profile shows you 3 huge thumbnails for mods in a row, and makes it so that It takes some scrolling to see all of the mods, whereas the current one shows you 5-10 and you might just see everything you need immediately upon clicking the profile

The current set up is much better for browsing because on top of that, the way that mod info (upload, update, author, category and description) is set up now is much more easily and swiftly recieved. The beta shows less description info, and has all of the info you wanna know (dates etc) more spread out, as opposed to in a concise list, one on top of the other, like it is now. Plus, the beta doesn't show you the actual dates that you're looking for any more. It just goes off of "X months ago", which doesn't help and makes you have to open the mod in another tab or just open it flatout.

The main thing is that a lot of modding is troubleshooting on top of browsing, cross-referencing, etc, so whatever makes that less time consuming and more intuitively done, the better. Most people don't care as much about how pretty a user profile looks as much they just want the information they need as quickly and effortlessly as possible, and the current layout does that exponentially better than the beta. As long as any cosmetic changes don't jeopardize that, I say do whatever you want in terms of the visuals. Make all the rounded thumbnail corners, darkened and cleaned up backgrounds and buttons, animations, etc. you want.

As far as actual improvements to the user experience, the only thing I can think of you adding to the current user profile is a search bar, a donate button next to the "track" button, displaying mods that were a collab between that user and another (which would require all authors properly linked in the author section on top of the mod pages themselves too) and a way to click on a user's profile pic if I think it looks cool lol.

Mod pages:
Unrelated to user profiles, but mod pages desperately need a way to search through the comments section. I used to use the forum option for that, and I'm sure you guys are just still working out the forum thing, but so you guys are tracking, there's currently no way to find important info in a 300 page comment section without some sort of search bar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This issue: With the URL being shown, instead of simply showing the image like I did here. I'd like for whenever I post the URL, it just shows the image, like how I do when I post in the image section, instead of just showing the URL address. It used to do it before all the updates, but now it literally doesn't.

Can you fix this please? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

image.thumb.jpeg.6dcd059e596206521388d29207cb8029.jpeg

5 hours ago, lefttounge said:

This issue: With the URL being shown, instead of simply showing the image like I did here. I'd like for whenever I post the URL, it just shows the image, like how I do when I post in the image section, instead of just showing the URL address. It used to do it before all the updates, but now it literally doesn't.

Can you fix this please? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

image.thumb.jpeg.6dcd059e596206521388d29207cb8029.jpeg

Use the button on the editor toolbar. The About Me doesn't use BBCode anymore.

5 hours ago, Pickysaurus said:

Use the button on the editor toolbar. The About Me doesn't use BBCode anymore.

I've been wondering about that.  With the new forums and the new site overhauls, is BBCode being retired altogether?  Personally I like having the option to use BBCode, since I have finer control over what I'm doing, and don't have to take my hands off the keyboard to format things.

Plus for image shares, I've sometimes done stories with embedded images in the description -- and I've kept the BBCoded versions of these in .txt files on my own PC, both as backup and for local editing before I post.  Story posts can take hours to write and compose, and I'd rather not lose everything -- including my formatting -- if my connection or the Nexus has a hiccup when I'm 90+% done.