User Profile and Direct Messaging Improvements Beta

JustThatKing

1 minute ago, JustThatKing said:

As a Community Manager that's "out of hours" writing down every suggestion from this thread for discussion with the team, it is slightly disappointing to hear this.

If we didn't care about user feedback, we wouldn't have introduced the Beta release system.

All I can say is that we are considering all pieces of feedback. That doesn't mean we will definitely implement changes a small number of users suggest, but we are considering all feedback that is made in this thread. 

Thank you very much and it's fair enough that you can't and wouldn't implement everything suggested. Especially since some of the suggestions may be mutually exclusive. 😉  Hopefully you can do at least some of what's been suggested here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JustThatKing said:

As a Community Manager that's "out of hours" 

I have noticed that various staff do seem to show activity "out of hours". Not just on weekdays sometimes weekends and it is appreciated, however, it is a genuine fear for many users (what puddlepond pointed out).

And this change has me very worried (even if it is prematurely) especially how mod description tabs and articles are going to look too. I don't want fancy, I need something that someone can read lots of details (I make very in depth mods and articles) without oversized sections and wasted space.

Edited by HollownessDevoured
  • Thanks 1

My opinions seem to be in line with what has been said by most people in this thread, but I'm going to list them anyway, just for the sake of feedback:

• Navigation on the new "mods" page is quite bad. Three mods per row instead of five is not only a annoyance when you want to browse through an author's mods, but it also feels like I'm looking at a mobile screen. Perhaps worse, the fact that the section is now an endless scroll instead of subpages makes profiles with more than a few dozen mods (some have +100) a not-so-fun experience, unless I know what I'm looking for (but in that case, I could just use the search bar). I do, however, assume that this and a few other minor things ( i.e. the possibility of changing the default sorting and the "downloaded" sign) are not present because this is a beta version, so the number of mods per row is the main issue for me.
  • I can't speak for people with visual impairments other than astigmatism (and even then I can't say that's the issue), but the readability is much much worse. I'm not sure why, but I'd bet it's the reasons listed by InvictusVivus, because my first thoughts on seeing the page were "that's too big" and "that's too bright". 

• I like the sidebar (would prefer a header, but oh well), especially because you've highlighted the donate button and it fits in nicely with the rest of the page. The profile picture/avatar/icon being wider is also great. 

• On the whole, the biggest problem (no pun intended) is size. Everything is too big, too cluttered. There's far too much unused space where there could be useful information and far too much filled space that could be rearranged to be more user-friendly (I'm talking about short descriptions and titles here). The media page is a good example of how it should be: 3 pages packed into one without losing anything of value plus the size of everything it's better than the classic version (though the individual number of each image/video would be a very welcome addition - and maybe 3 images per row instead of 2). Just compact what's there a bit and I think we'd be good to go. 

I'm not really a fan of the overall design you seem to be moving the site towards, but I understand why. The new page is far from the worst major redesigns I've seen tho, especially among ones that try to "modernize" the interface. A few tweaks could do wonders without changing the layout too much.

Edited by realisticdinosaur
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, realisticdinosaur said:

I can't speak for people with visual impairments other than astigmatism (and even then I can't say that's the issue), but the readability is much much worse. I'm not sure why, but I'd bet it's the reasons listed by InvictusVivus, because my first thoughts on seeing the page were "that's too big" and "that's too bright". 

I have the same problem - it's less legible. I think using coloured text is better than using shades of grey with capitalisation. So yes, like we had before - some text would be in orange (or rather, the colour of the game) and that helped a lot.

• Like 1