Rating system overhaul

Dark0ne

I think this new rating system defiantly has potential, but my main issue with it, is as I'm to understand, you aren't see what is wrong with a file. Like it might have many downloads and some endorsements, but how would i know if that was just because people were lazy or the file had many bugs, honestly, it makes me a little reluctant when I'm looking for mods to download now, It would be interesting if you could incorporate some of the, i guess u would call them testimonials about the problems people are having with the mods into the rating system instead of having to find the bugs yourself, thanks.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I think that, even though it's easier to abuse it, a rating is far more representative than a thumbs up. A 9+ will persuade me more to download than 20 endorsements or whatsoever...

And 3 hours is an excessively long waiting time, because only really big mods like quests, factions or new lands take up more than 3 hrs of playtime...

But since the system is active, I doubt my criticism has any value...

I think there's a better way. The rating system uses percentage thumbs up.

We still use the thumbs up system but at the download page, but not only it displayed thumbs up and thumbs down. But there's an additional percentage score. Example, if a mod downloaded 100, and got 10 thumbs up, means got 10% score. So the mod with highest thumbs up maybe the most popular, but the one with the highest percentage score is the best.

With this, it's better than the old rating system and improve currently rating system.

We still use the thumbs up system but at the download page, but not only it displayed thumbs up and thumbs down. But there's an additional percentage score. Example, if a mod downloaded 100, and got 10 thumbs up, means got 10% score. So the mod with highest thumbs up maybe the most popular, but the one with the highest percentage score is the best.

That would be a terribly easy system to abuse; just keep clicking away at the download for a file and watch the percentage score drop. Counting unique downloads (i.e. one download per unique user) was something I contemplated a year back but it isn't feasible; there's over 75 million rows in the download stats table and having to query that table every time someone downloads a file would bring the site to a complete overloaded stand-still.

I find the new rating system to be alot more in line with the overall goal of the site: improving modding.

People get caught up in "my most be popular or it is no good" This system takes some air out of popularity and builds in actual ways to improve modding. Personally, I share what i want to share and do not care if it was on the bottom 100 list. People forget, mod what makes you happy. Mod what is fun to mod or play. If someone likes fine if not you had fun. The new rating system supports that at alot of expense of trolls.

Keep up the good works guys. You make this a great place to be.

FINALLY.

Thank you for this, thank you So so much for this, I no longer have to check on my mod's comments and see some dumb rating with a dumb comment able how something isn't in the mod when that has nothing to do at all with rating a file.

This is so much better.

Yeah, the old rating system wasn't even a 1-10 scale, it was more of a 7-10 scale and anything below that was prohibited. It was impossible to rate a 1 and get away with it (not that anyone should...)