Mod Manager

Jaguar19738

Hi

Not sure if there is another Topic on this, or if this is the right part of the Forum,s to put it in if it is not and if another topic like this exists I apologise for making a new one in Advance.

Some questions, what is the latest and best recommended Mod Manager to use?

I ask because the last time I DL NMM from this site I could not get the mods in it to work with my game, so I have been using the Bethesda site, now Nexus has mods I would like to try that are not on Bethesda, but as I had trouble with a Mod Manager last time, I used Bethesda.

So now I am asking about the latest MM and which is the best one.

Thanks

Edited by Jaguar19738

Vortex or Mod Organizer 2.

Both work great as long as you use them correctly.

Trying to use Bethesda.net mods and a mod manager will screw up your game for sure, unless you import the bethesda.net mods into your mod manager and never use the in-game mod menu.

1 hour ago, Jaguar19738 said:

Hi

Not sure if there is another Topic on this, or if this is the right part of the Forum,s to put it in if it is not and if another topic like this exists I apologise for making a new one in Advance.

Some questions, what is the latest and best recommended Mod Manager to use?

I ask because the last time I DL NMM from this site I could not get the mods in it to work with my game, so I have been using the Bethesda site, now Nexus has mods I would like to try that are not on Bethesda, but as I had trouble with a Mod Manager last time, I used Bethesda.

So now I am asking about the latest MM and which is the best one.

Thanks

I use Vortex.

Some say others are better, but to me this was easier to use.

There is also Wabbajack, which is next level seamless download of hundrds of mods at same time and always comes out in correct load order ( a problem with other MM).

But you are stuck with the Wabbajack mod list you downloaded and cant change it ( or at least I cant)

2 hours ago, showler said:

Vortex or Mod Organizer 2.

Both work great as long as you use them correctly.

Trying to use Bethesda.net mods and a mod manager will screw up your game for sure, unless you import the bethesda.net mods into your mod manager and never use the in-game mod menu.

I do not use Bethesdas Mod Manager, I use the site itself for the Mods, I add them to my Library and then install them via the Game Menu.

1 hour ago, Karna5 said:

I use Nexus Mod Manager Community Edition with hundreds of mods and plugins, and I love it.

That was the Mod Manager I used but could not get it to work with the game and I did not know why!

I use NMM Community Edition as well without the slightest problems with FO4. You can link loot, FO4edit and Bodyslide to it and start the game through F4SE. You wrote that you downloaded NMM from this site. This one is long outdated. You can get the latest version from here: https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Nexus-Mod-Manager/releases

You wrote that want to use mods  from bethesda.net and from here together. That should be no problem as long as mods from other sources than bethesda.net have an entry for Fallout 4 as master.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, subaverage said:

I use NMM Community Edition as well without the slightest problems with FO4. You can link loot, FO4edit and Bodyslide to it and start the game through F4SE. You wrote that you downloaded NMM from this site. This one is long outdated. You can get the latest version from here: https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Nexus-Mod-Manager/releases

You wrote that want to use mods  from bethesda.net and from here together. That should be no problem as long as mods from other sources than bethesda.net have an entry for Fallout 4 as master.

I would like to use mods from here mainly as some of the mods here are not on Bethesda and vice versa, but thanks @subaverage for that

It's going to be hard to get an unbiased answer to this - as people like things for their own reasons.

That said:

If you like a fancy GUI - Vortex might be what you want.  

If you want a simple GUI with all the information in one place - MO2 might be what you want.

Give them both a spin, see what you like.

Edited by fraquar
  • Like 1

I like Vortex for the following reasons:

• File tracking and linking. Being able to open a mod page from my mod list and check for updates without opening the page.
  • If i make changes to a file not only are those changes detected but i can incorporate those changes permanently without sacrificing the file tracking on the original.
  • The Enabled/Disabled/Uninstalled/Never Installed category tagging makes building and testing a mod set very easy to keep track of.
  • Multiple install profiles including save game swapping for each one make playing one install and modding another as simple as can be.
  • If you add all of your working files(ones you are consistently editing) to the load order via zip.file, Vortex will track changes and ask you if you want to incorporate them effectively giving you an automatic restoration of backup by simply saying no.
  • All other working files added via zip can be toggled on and off
  • Purge Mods command will clear the data folder of everything Vortex added allowing me to find untracked loose files with ease.

I don't allow Vortex to manage my load order though because as was stated it doesn't have enough info. Wrye Bash does it way better and I would be using it for the bashed patch anyway so i use it instead.