We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

The last poster wins

TheCalliton

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

SteamOS sounds like an interesting thingy.

Valve has been on pretty good terms with Linux in the past year, and with the announcement of a Linux-based Steam Box, I'm not surprised with SteamOS at all, I actually expected something like that. It's a bold move, Linux can run on pretty much anything with a processor (hell, even car engines utilize Linux for then on-board component control systems) and it's free like free beer (I like free beer) so it can be utilized on any platform you can imagine.

I believe that SteamOS will be forked from Ubuntu 14.04/13.10, or from Debian Testing. More likely Ubuntu, but with the MIR display server not getting any support from Intel (there will be likely no support from AMD/Nvidia either), they'll have a hell of a time migrating Ubuntu libraries from MIR to Wayland or X, so they might opt for Debian instead. Or it will be built from scratch, who knows.

But seeing how Valve is openly marketing Linux to a wide audience makes me happy, because that means more native games and less fiddling with Wine for me. Not to mention that I won't need to pay 150$ for Windows to play games natively either. :D

Edited by Werne