The Official Currently Listening To Thread

Dark0ne

Sick Twisted Individual (no, not you Stampede - it really is the name of the CD ;D ) Vol. I

Got an absolute bargain on this fantastic compilation featuring tracks by, among others, Killing Miranda, Libitina, Uninvited Guest and Arkam Asylum. Favourite tracks have to be Zeitgeist Zero's 'Tombstone Tourist' and 'Love Like Broken Glass' by Cauda Pavonis (which works surprisingly well as a soundtrack for EVE Online combat missions... :happy: )

Sick Twisted Individual (no, not you Stampede - it really is the name of the CD ;D ) Vol. I

Got an absolute bargain on this fantastic compilation featuring tracks by, among others, Killing Miranda, Libitina, Uninvited Guest and Arkam Asylum. Favourite tracks have to be Zeitgeist Zero's 'Tombstone Tourist' and 'Love Like Broken Glass' by Cauda Pavonis (which works surprisingly well as a soundtrack for EVE Online combat missions... :happy: )

Theta - would you mind explaining what kind of music that is? Cyberpunk Vampire Rock or something? Is there anything slightly more mainstream you could compare it to, to help a poor ignorant soul like me decide whether he'd like it or not?

I'm always up for new sensations in music, and would be glad of your assistance!

That's alright. I would have assumed you were talking about my boss anyway, as that's her title at the company.

I too am interested in knowing more about this music.

I'm absolutely hopeless when it comes to categorising music... don't really know what you'd call it... dark alternative? Modern goth?

Best thing to do would probably be visiting the bands' websites/myspace sites and listening to audio samples. Most of the tracks on the CD I'd heard on internet radio before, but unfortunately the stations I used to listen to all the time (Funeral Nation, Deathrock Radio) have been offline for ages.

• 2 weeks later...

Having great trouble trying to find listen-to-able samples of the groups Theta mentioned, but I have a feeling it could be something like Fields of the Nephilim. Just recently I've been recompiling my collection from years ago (Sisters of Mercy, The Mission etc) and experimenting with newer stuff. The Nephilim's album Mourning Sun is a perfect evolution of their older music, and a must if you like Gothic.

On a much 'lighter' note, I'm also currently trying to find as much rare KLF as I can. If anybody's got any ideas or sources, please let me know!

I recently tumbled across an Enya album (Paint the sky with stars) and though it's not my usual taste, I still really liked it.

And also, "The Theme" by Jurgen Vries (AKA Darren Tate) is damn hot too.

Having great trouble trying to find listen-to-able samples of the groups Theta mentioned, but I have a feeling it could be something like Fields of the Nephilim.

Right, so I've just found some Killing Miranda, and personally I would say it was "ElectroGoth" - I don't know if it exists, but I'm sure Theta would agree it is quite fitting! :D Kind of ElectroPunk, but a bit darker, if only in the lyrics. One track, "Embrace" is not bad, but I must say my gothic tastes are a little more purist than that, as for me the electro side of it somewhat detracts from the overall Gothic feeling. SoM were always quite upbeat, and I'm a great fan of Electronic music and house, but KM doesn't quite do it for me, I'm afraid. :mellow:

Currently looking for Jurgen Vries..................

I love electronic music. Vangelis is one of my all time favourite artists. I also really dig Depeche Mode and Sheep on Drugs.

Right now I am listening to....trance! There I said it! I am not a fan of house, or rave culture at all, but I just find good trance to be a lot moodier than most boop-bop-beep music. Has a nice sci-fi feel to it too.

I love electronic music. Vangelis is one of my all time favourite artists. I also really dig Depeche Mode and Sheep on Drugs.

Right now I am listening to....trance! There I said it! I am not a fan of house, or rave culture at all, but I just find good trance to be a lot moodier than most boop-bop-beep music. Has a nice sci-fi feel to it too.

Yeah, I love Vangelis too!

Stampede: What do you mean "There, I said it " !?! What's wrong with trance music? There is (or was) loads of decent trance around. Take the king himself Paul Oakenfold (check out his Goa Mix for a beautiful journey through several moods and acoustic sensations.) My dad will never admit to liking it, but even he says that it is "very well orchestrated." I like some Vangelis, although there are only a few selected pieces of classical music that I really like. Carmina Burana, Beethovens MoonlightSonata, and The Concerto de Orange Juice ( ;D ) or rather the Concierto de Aranjuez by Rodrigo is beautiful.

Currently listening to the Utah Saints from years ago - nice upbeat melodic semi-trancey electronic stuff from early 90s. For harder kicks I like Messiah's 21st Century Jesus. (Stampede don't have a go at me for mentioning religion so often! ;) )

Also just listened to Yögen Fruz - I mean Jurgen Vries :rolleyes: , which is not bad at all - kinda happy dream house with a trancey twist. Let nobody say I'm not a dab-hand at music classification!!! :wacko:

If any of you like ElectroPunk, check out the Weak on the Rocks album by Cycle.