Steam sale and downloading issues prompts CDN expansion

Dark0ne

Personally I have to say I think you have done a sterling job, I have downloaded several files over this period without issue, so well done. Your Glastonbury analogy regarding the scale of the issue is an excellent one, people have to remember that your service does not cost ANYTHING! If during the peak times I have to wait a bit for a mod so be it, nobody will die, and if they do they will re-spawn. A bit thumbs up from me!!!!!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #16181270.

I am wondering the same thing too, people are trying to download my latest mod but they are getting the error window. I tested it and got the error too as well as when I tried to download other mods. I hope it can get up and running again, I know things can get bogged down so please forgive me for my sad curiosity.

Edit: After hearing some files download and others do not I will agree, I just tried a mod download and it seemed to work, some recently added files get the error though?. Edited by Edhildil

So - for those of us who uploaded new files during the Steam Summer Sale log-jam, the new files are not copying among the various file servers. Do we need to re-upload? Or will this resolve automatically?

I'd be interest in answer to this as well (Uploaded my files this morning, but still getting the "An error occured" message when trying to download).

Edited by PrimalSavage

Propagating the new files to the servers takes up bandwidth that is already being swamped by people trying to download. And they don't just try once. They keep trying over and over until they do get through further backing things up. When ( if ) there is a lull in the madness the new files will be able to get to the various servers. Hopefully the system that is being worked on will solve this as well ( Please don't expect an instant fix - this takes time. And by time I don't mean hours or even days, but weeks. My guess is the steam panic will be over and things will slow down to what passes for normal long before the CDN expansion is ready to go online.

Propagating the new files to the servers takes up bandwidth that is already being swamped by people trying to download. And they don't just try once. They keep trying over and over until they do get through further backing things up. When ( if ) there is a lull in the madness the new files will be able to get to the various servers. Hopefully the system that is being worked on will solve this as well ( Please don't expect an instant fix - this takes time. And by time I don't mean hours or even days, but weeks. My guess is the steam panic will be over and things will slow down to what passes for normal long before the CDN expansion is ready to go online.

Aye. Somewhat wish the uploading feature would have been blocked (Considering the current issues) which would have been a warning not to delete the old version. Alternatively, although I guess that would worsen the congestion, couldn't bandwidth be reserved for uploading (Say 5%, heck even 1% would probably do something right?). Anyway, live and learn --> Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you went after.

In response to post #16186465.

Completely agree. Even a trickle reserved for copying to mirrors would probably do the trick. I even waited until I had successfully downloaded and installed my update before deleting the previous version. Didn't think for a second that since I'm downloading from premium servers, this would a pointless test and the files would never make it to the others...

I hope, really hope that moving to CDN fix all problems. Hope, because, CDN usually uses same experience as you have, they limit if not an amount of concurrent connections, but speed. In general, they are doing all things at once to have lower cost of goods. This also means that if the customer is not enough rich he get worse service than his own, it is a business. Valve should pay you for troubles :)

Most of old users may understand your problems, but new users may have own opinions about non-working service. Each summer means coming new users and if 1/10 of them love one or more games on your site this also means same amount of regular visitors. Meantime network load will grow up from year to year. In one day you will have a chance to choose... I hope on best.

And so... when the summer sale end?

WBR