⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Steam sale and downloading issues prompts CDN expansion

Dark0ne

In response to post #16162200. #16162375, #16162510 are all replies on the same post.

While I'm not a new member, I am one of the people who bought Skyrim Legendary on the Steam summer sale and then came to this site to download a whole buncha of mods. And Dark0ne's description fit me to a T. I reviewed best Skyrim mods on the net and went to the top 100 endorsed mods section.

So here I am reading this and I'm far from a kid (57 years old). I didn't have much of a problem over the past week, but that is probably because I've been a premium member for a while and I don't download the mods all at once. I download one at a time manually as I carefully considered the dozens of mods I downloaded for Skyrim.

I really think that before complaining, one ought to consider that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Become a premium member... then complain if you feel the need to (not aimed at you OPxSkillz585, just a general comment).

Personally, I'm just grateful for a site like Nexus that is a compendium of the best mods in one place. Edited by whodat1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i must be lucky, only had problems with the first couple files i tried downloading, the first day the legendary edition went on sale for $13..

but thank you for the great website, and i really couldn't complain even if i did have a problem, didn't cost me anything to sign up and got a lot of good additions for a great game.

In response to post #16162200. #16162375, #16162510, #16215550 are all replies on the same post.

totally agree with whodat1 , nexus needs and deserves the support of it's members .
nexus is , beyond a doubt , the finest community I have ever belonged to , consisting mostly of talented , generous and well meaning individuals .
those of us who use this service , especially those who are unable to contribute mods , should feel an obligation to make some effort to help those who so selflessly help us .

In response to post #16162200. #16162375, #16162510, #16215550, #16224790 are all replies on the same post.

@whodat1

I agree with him, as I am an old user (since the morrowind era), and i found myself having to download huge amounts of mods in a short period of time, either after i had bought the game/expansions or after i had a clean reinstall of the game, or after a prolonged break from tes, which resulted in having all my mods outdated.

So, yes, Dark0ne is fairly accurate with the behavior of a new user, or the behavior of user who starts from scratch. Edited by hangman04

I still think you should integrate bittorrent downloading into the client.

It would be a little bit of work, but not as much as you think.

The Bittorrent protocol can use HTTP file sources as well as other Bittorrent enabled clients for downloading. Files over a certain size (50MB?) would be bittorrent-enabled. There would be no torrents to download, the NMM client would simply contact other NMM users that have the file they want to download (determined via the NM database), get the torrent information from NM, then attempt to download from other NMM users.

You could even use non-centralized torrent protocols to provide a failover in the event the NM servers go down.

I have experience coding Bittorrent trackers, but not clients, and I'd be willing to help if you ever decide to go this route.

Good god, the amount of entitlement I see on this site is mind-boggling. I can understand if you were paying for this service, but this is all provided free of charge. There will always be hiccups, just look at YouTube and how much Google has borked that site over and over, but they eventually fix it and it remains free to use. Granted, that's a much bigger site, but then again Google has a lot more money.

I like the idea of a CDN partnership, the only thing I would worry about is whether Nexus will be able to maintain total control of content. What if the operator decides they don't want to distribute certain content? Not sure how these kinds of contracts work, but if that's a non-issue, then it sounds like the best solution.

It's probably hard to anticipate Steam having the vanilla Skyrim on sale for $4.99 and Legendary for what is it, $13.99? I felt a little put out having to manually DL, which wouldn't have been a problem but I just got a new PC and was downloading a ton of stuff...even so it wasn't too bad. I feel for the members who don't have access to the premium servers. It's good to hear you guys are on it and want you to know I appreciate all the hard work(and expense) put in on upgrades :smile:

In response to post #16206765.

The premium servers aren't immune. I waited for two hours for a file to download today on a premium server. I mean, it took two hours for it to download, not that I took two hours trying to get through for it to download.

I wish I was a premium member....oh wait....I am or thought I was lol but according to the servers I am not and have not been able to download since 17 of June but for only a couple of files but none in last 5 days.

I've been a member of the Nexus for a few years now, BUT I also took advantage of the Steam summer sale by picking up Skyrim, and then proceeded to download a bunch of mods for that. I wasn't too pleased by the slowness of the file servers, and have since noticed an increase since the sale ended. Reading the reason for it now makes it completely understandable, and I also noticed that the site itself had 100% uptime (every time I went to it, which was quite a bit) during the sale.

Awesome job guys, keep on truckin'. :D