Virus scan reports now visible on file pages, more security incoming

Dark0ne

@Taiolu - The selection of what virus scanners to use is not something that The Nexus has any control over - I suggest you take that up with the staff at VirusTotal. :blush:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #16704799. #16710199, #16717169 are all replies on the same post.

Yeah but along side being less effective they're also slower. I'll drop it since it's a virus total issue though. Thank god it only scans once the upload has been sucessful.

It works similar to herdscan's v-scan-procedure, which is scanning simultaneously through multiple proxies to the research lab's servers (kaspersky, norton, mcafee, glab, etc.) - when uploading you shouldn't even notice a drop of packets on your end. It's good though that this feature has been implemented into the Nexus. Imagine what could happen if someone would upload a potentially harmful file here and cloak it as modfile with proper descriptions - making it look like it would actually be a legit mod. Users/downloaders could infect their systems up to a hundredfold in 1h, given the usual traffic that's being produced daily.

Great work to add virus scanning!

However, a file update I posted several hours ago is still stuck in scanning mode.

Anyone else have the same problem or know what the issue is? (It's not like I've uploaded executables of any sort.)

In response to post #16794224.

When you upload a new file it goes into a queue, a waiting line, of thousands of files from all over the world send in to VirusTotal for the check up. Not only the more people are uploading files to the Nexus at the same time the longer it'll take for your number to be drawn, but from what I read the queue is shared with several other sites and projects as well even.

There's times when it's lightning fast, or at least that's what people are telling who uploaded new files, but then there's also times when it's slow to a crawl. So it seems to vary a lot.

In response to post #16794224. #16796209 is also a reply to the same post.

Well, it seems to have finally cleared. I suppose patience is the key. I'm glad we can offer users independent assurance that they aren't downloading something harmful. For most users, this is somewhat redundant to AV they would be running on their local systems.

If queue times do become routinely long (hours to days), perhaps there is a way to allow downloads in the interim, but with a warning that virus scanning has not been completed. This would allow recipients to understand potentially elevated risks.

Thanks again.

The backlog yesterday was because we used up our 20,000 requests a day allowance. We've tweaked our automated service (which is going through the entire file database backlog to verify all files) so this shouldn't happen again.